HYPOTHETICAL - Which saw would you grab in an emergency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a shindaiwa 488. It always gave me the feeling that I could have buried it in the backyard, dug it up a year later and started it with two pulls.

But I loves me a Pioneer.:rock:

that start in 1-2 pulls (which is mostly BS)

Yeah I read that a lot. Not one single saw I've ever owned, brand new, stock, modded, you name it, has ever started in less than 3 pulls when cold. 4-5 is the norm across all of my saws.

Yeah, its a true 1-2 pulls and ready for wood.

Cool. 1-2 sounds dandy :cheers: I can see myself trying one of these auto tune/CCM thingys one day :D

Yeah I read that a lot. Not one single saw I've ever owned, brand new, stock, modded, you name it, has ever started in less than 3 pulls when cold. 4-5 is the norm across all of my saws.

Cool. 1-2 sounds dandy :cheers: I can see myself trying one of these auto tune/CCM thingys one day :D

LOL, proof, yet again, you have to take the internet with a full bottle of salt, heck there is one pull wasted on just the choke setting, then you have to flip to the high rev, LOL, everything better work pretty good to get a cold start on 2 pulls with a standard carb'd saw.

This new 441 M-Tronics is a pretty neat saw.

Sam

LOL, proof, yet again, you have to take the internet with a full bottle of salt, heck there is one pull wasted on just the choke setting, then you have to flip to the high rev, LOL, everything better work pretty good to get a cold start on 2 pulls with a standard carb'd saw.

This new 441 M-Tronics is a pretty neat saw.

Sam

Oh I made a boo boo. My Stihl HT131 pole saw starts first time every time but that doesn't count - it's a 4 mix so not really a 2 stroke :)

Oh I made a boo boo. My Stihl HT131 pole saw starts first time every time but that doesn't count - it's a 4 mix so not really a 2 stroke :)

LOL, I was running my Kombi 130 yesterday with the pole saw and a brush cutter, man I love that thing, it has power to spare, for those applications.

Sam

With all the chatter about the starting and reliability of the saw in question or choosen, I am reminded of this phrase or rule in a gun fight/battle.

Rule #1 in a gunfight ...................... have a gun.

I guess rule #1 in a chainsaw related emergency is to have a chainsaw, but in the opening statement that was a given. So at that point a close #2 is have a saw that will start and run, LOL.

Sam

I'd grab the first saw I could get my hands on. They all start, run, and cut just like they should. No use in having a saw that doesn't work properly.

The flippy choke spills chokes down your legs Sam. It was an idea that never caught on.

Could be they had a Patent on the injector type carb.

Let's see how many of them "computerized" saws are around in 25 years?

Hows about a 272 top end on a 120si bottom, near 77cc, and it runs like a banshee.

assuming there isn't already a running saw at one end of that killer tree...it'd probably be my lucky-MS170...it's at the front of the shelf, sharp, and nimble...though the skidloader with grapple would probably be closer?

I've been thinking while reading this.

I'd try to find out the biggest wood I would be cutting.

My saws all start about the same, even the ones with the flippy chokes.

My first thought was my Husky 350 as it is light and fast. Then I thought about the Dolmar 7900. These saws, one could back up the other?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can you see this happen at a GTG.Everyone debating over which saw, then cutting cookies off the end to decide the winner.But wait which chain is the BEST !!!!! LOL

Back