I’ve just brought a vintage Stihl saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stihl 07. There is so much I don’t know, that I don’t know what I don’t know about this saw. Any advice, workshop manual and any recommendations of who to talk to regarding getting parts for the saw would be appreciated.
I turned up at the stihl shop on my bike not expecting to take a saw home, but I brought it and cycled it home! A ghastly design, but strangle charming too.
DA678ED3-023D-4FA7-A6C4-1D6556B09D6F.jpeg

88B635C1-6DDB-4F31-9FF3-56F3877E5B35.jpeg

It’s been sitting upstairs in his (the stihl shop owners) area for many many ears. Kept dry, no mag rot, I pulled the exhaust off and piston is as new. No cylinder scoring. First two things I have noticed are a few fins are missing on the underside of the recoil starter and the exhaust has a crack in one corner. I’m sure I’ll find more issues and I probably don’t have the experience to tackle it just yet, but who knows, least of all me.

If you read back through the staff meeting minutes book at that particular Stihl dealers, in a meeting just after stocktake one year in the 1980's, the owner was recorded as saying "If anyone manages to ever sell that old 07 collecting dust out the back- I will shout the staff a tray of Victoria Bitter every Friday afternoon for the rest of the year!"
One of the boys that works there is looking forward to free drinks after work tomorrow! :laugh:

No chainbrake- maybe a Kiwi works in that Stihl shop?

“Took it off my son and gave it to you bob as it’s dangerous (wouldn’t want anyone I care about getting hurt - here is a free saw Bob!)

wasn’t from an Aussi tired of your BS by any chance there bob?

Revenge is sweet! :laughing:

No chainbrake- maybe a Kiwi works in that Stihl shop?

“Took it off my son and gave it to you bob as it’s dangerous (wouldn’t want anyone I care about getting hurt - here is a free saw Bob!)

wasn’t from an Aussi tired of your BS by any chance there bob?

Revenge is sweet! :laughing:
Hahaha bob!!! With fuel down the throat she runs. Just need to fill the tank up more, I don’t think I pulled it enough, nor did I have enough fuel in it.

I'm jealous.. I want one too and a contra lightning..my advice is to repair.. Recycle.. Restore every single part that is there.. Parts can be hard to come by but if you have patience and check ebay on a regular basis you will find what you need eventually.... Nice find man... I HATE YOU BTW.. HAAAA

I have been infected! I can say without question, I have S.F.S.

”Southern Fairy Syndrome” - a condition that people from the south of England often have. I’m aching this morning having cycled back with the saw and pulling it over. First to admit I’m not built with the grit and determination of the men that ran these saws professionally. They were made of tougher stuff back then.

I have been infected! I can say without question, I have S.F.S.

”Southern Fairy Syndrome” - a condition that people from the south of England often have. I’m aching this morning having cycled back with the saw and pulling it over. First to admit I’m not built with the grit and determination of the men that ran these saws professionally. They were made of tougher stuff back then.
My dad was one of those men.. 07s and 08s's... All day long.. I got a small taste of it starting at age 11 or 12.. With the 08 series saws.. The best I could do was 4 tanks..he would go all damn day Then I couldn't feel my girly hands anymore.. lol.. And at that age my back was just not strong enough.. The HeMan era for sure.. I got respect for em..

Back