I know I'm going to be dogfood for this but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I would still read both forums if it was split - most of my work is on smaller bore kit but still have a 181 for the larger stuff!

You may find you lose some tech support from both sides if the forum is split and contributors only read one section.

pros and cons!

Spud

Rather than splitting by size, maybe it would make more sense to split it by subject. Not sure where to draw the lines between brands, models, ages, modifications, 'get it to run again' threads,...
The way it is right now, there is a lot to read (if you want to read it all); but the subject might tell you if it's worthwile or not.
I'm indifferent about it right now.

I know I'm on other forum that have the equipment broke down by manufacture. It's easier to find something if you need it, but hey that's what the search button is for.

If it's not broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!

I think there should be a newbie or a homeowner section, and newbies should be relegated to that section until they have 25 or more posts. That way the "what saw questions" don't make it into the main chainsaw forum as often.

Now that I kind of like. Perhaps simply a rule that a newbie can't start a thread until he has x number of posts. Some for sale sections in forums are like that.

Personally, I run saws in both sections and it's great to see everything in one hit.

jmo,
b4b.

Here, here. I think we're already split up into individual threads. Seems to me no one has to read anything they don't want to just the way it is. Ok, ok, so I admit I don't really even know how the "friends" thing works and I'm scared of change.

I'm a BIG fan of the KISS principle.

I don't think the chainsaw stuff needs split up but I do think the chainsaw fourum needs to stay on topic more.

I really don't think I need to see truck bumpers, kids camping pictures, horse's and dogs, etc in the chainsaw forum.

I know theres a fine line sometimes as to whats relavent but I think a better job can be done.

Now that I kind of like. Perhaps simply a rule that a newbie can't start a thread until he has x number of posts. Some for sale sections in forums are like that.

I can almost see a point to a newbie section, until you get to a guy like supercabs who wasn't even close to being a newbie, back when he was a newbie.

It doesn't seem very hospitable to quarantine the newbies and not let them come out to play.
A "Newbie Questions" forum would be ok. I wouldn't mind to help monitor it and answer questions I know or put them in touch with the members who would know.

Mike

I can almost see a point to a newbie section, until you get to a guy like supercabs who wasn't even close to being a newbie, back when he was a newbie.

It doesn't seem very hospitable to quarantine the newbies and not let them come out to play.
A "Newbie Questions" forum would be ok. I wouldn't mind to help monitor it and answer questions I know or put them in touch with the members who would know.

Mike

Man that was cool, there are some new guys that are cool and know more than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back