I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500i is lighter than the 661, and it's a screamer so it should cut extremely quickly without the weight. The MS 400 is an awesome saw but it doesn't have the displacement of the 500i.

It has no real world advantages over a 462 for a 24" bar.

None.

A 500 also has a 60cc sized clutch and weak AV for a 36" bar, I'd never use a 500 for a big bar for that reason alone, plus the balance would be retarded.

For playing barbies with chainsaws at a GTG or a few times a year..sure..for frequent use..no..not in my opinion.

It has no advantages over a 462 for a 24" bar.

None.

A 500 also has a 60cc sized clutch and weak AV for a 36" bar, I'd never use a 500 for a big bar for that reason alone, plus the balance would be retarded.

For playing barbies with chainsaws at a GTG or a few times a year..sure..for frequent use..no..not in my opinion.
Well, a lot of guys like 'em and think they're the cat's ass, though most any saw has fans that love that particular saw for personal reasons. I was looking at a 500i but like more torque (whereas it seems to be more about RPMs for speed). I'd like more time on a 500i to get a better feel for them.

Well, a lot of guys like 'em and think they're the cat's ass, though most any saw has fans that love that particular saw for personal reasons. I was looking at a 500i but like more torque (whereas it seems to be more about RPMs for speed). I'd like more time on a 500i to get a better feel for them.

A lot of people on the internet also stretch reality out pretty far.

A 500 needs a 28"+ bar to show it's torque. I don't know how to word what it's power feels like. Under that (in some cases) a 462 is actually faster.

A 500 is ideal for the guys hiking nasty terrain out west that run bigger bars and don't wanna lug around a 90cc saw all over the side of the mountain. For that purpose it has an advantage over a 462, not for tree service (me) or a guy that cuts a few cords of firewood.

Somethings wrong with your 400 if it's struggling with a 24" b/c in hard wood. The set up I run, zero issues in PA hard woods, oak, locust just chews right through. The 462 is faster, but by a marginal amount. With some recent comments on the 500i not being able to handle a 36" b/c combo all day I'd be jumping straight to the 90cc class saws. 390xp, or ms661. Neither will disappoint with a 24" or larger.

Somethings wrong with your 400 if it's struggling with a 24" b/c in hard wood. The set up I run, zero issues in PA hard woods, oak, locust just chews right through. The 462 is faster, but by a marginal amount. With some recent comments on the 500i not being able to handle a 36" b/c combo all day I'd be jumping straight to the 90cc class saws. 390xp, or ms661. Neither will disappoint with a 24" or larger.
Chain sure comes to mind.

I need a larger saw, maybe it’s just a want.
I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
Firewood is poor quality in North Texas and the price is outrageous.
I cut 6 cords each year for me and immediate family.
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
Go with the 500i, or will a 24" bar matter on those big saws?
Which one overall between the 462 and 500 is the nicer saw and easier to use?
Saws will remain stock, with no mods.
I do like the m-tronics.
We only have a Stihl dealer around so that is what I will be sticking with.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
500i all the way. Get all of the West Coast Saw goodies for it.

I need a larger saw, maybe it’s just a want.
I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
Firewood is poor quality in North Texas and the price is outrageous.
I cut 6 cords each year for me and immediate family.
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
Go with the 500i, or will a 24" bar matter on those big saws?
Which one overall between the 462 and 500 is the nicer saw and easier to use?
Saws will remain stock, with no mods.
I do like the m-tronics.
We only have a Stihl dealer around so that is what I will be sticking with.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
661, hands down for what you describe. 24 or 28" bar, muff mod and 8t rim sprocket. Fast!

I never ran it against one, but from what I heard they are fairly close and the 500I has a lot less weight.
To be clear, I have never ran a 500, probably never will. I own, run and cut with pretty much every model Stihl made excluding the modern computer ones. They are all fun but if the poo hits the fan and trees need to put on the ground I still grab a 044 or 066. I break out the 090G , 090AV, 084, Contra, BLK, and others for shows but that is just for fun. Time is money and sadly I do not have much of either. I am sure the 500i is a decent saw but I just do not see replacing the 066/660's yet.

Don't know- OP was really only asking about the two saws, 462 and 500i and only asking about up to 24 inch bars.
Now I don't own a 500i but have run one a bit. Do not own a 462- just an earlier standard MS460. Do not own a new 400 and have not had the pleasure of running one.

Now it could be the chain is all kerfuffled on the OP's 400- or it is the type of timber he cuts and any dust sand or dirt it might contain- if its dirty, displacement isnt going to matter much- but thats a side track.

If I was well covered in the 50-60cc range and looking for a saw for hardwood in the 24 inch bar driving range, I would be looking at 79cc as the step up from 60cc.

Yes, I own run and love 90-95cc saws with 24 inch and up bars- but the OP has already suggested they are not what he is looking for- and I cut mainly softwoods, not North Texan hardwoods.

My input on big saws only really comes from my 066, I’ll just say with 28” 3/8 full comp it’s an animal even with just a DP muffler. It’s a bit heavy for long periods, but I’m also a smaller guy (6’1 and 160 soaking wet) so you might be able to handle the weight a bit better. Even then, the power makes up for the extra weight, and it’s actually become my go-to saw for 20”+ wood

Latest posts

Back