I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, most of my cutting is primarily Texas hardwoods similar to your conditions

Don't know- OP was really only asking about the two saws, 462 and 500i and only asking about up to 24 inch bars.
Now I don't own a 500i but have run one a bit. Do not own a 462- just an earlier standard MS460. Do not own a new 400 and have not had the pleasure of running one.

Now it could be the chain is all kerfuffled on the OP's 400- or it is the type of timber he cuts and any dust sand or dirt it might contain- if its dirty, displacement isnt going to matter much- but thats a side track.

If I was well covered in the 50-60cc range and looking for a saw for hardwood in the 24 inch bar driving range, I would be looking at 79cc as the step up from 60cc.

Yes, I own run and love 90-95cc saws with 24 inch and up bars- but the OP has already suggested they are not what he is looking for- and I cut mainly softwoods, not North Texan hardwoods.
My issue with that selection is I own a 400, have cut side by side with a 2 year old ms462, and new this past spring husqy 572xp. The 462 is just that little bit faster its not worth having both saws. The 572 was much the same, just heavy as heck compared to my 400. Actually my logging buddy kept grabbing my 4000 when we were bucking the logs to haul. have cut with both my 390xp, 394xp and my cousins carb 661. The step up from the 400 a 661 or 390xp is a big jump in performance. Ivebplayed with the 500i several times at the dealers, and had thought about replacing the 390xp with it, but feedback from the site says irs not a real 90cc saw replacment, and a fuel pig to boot. The 661/390xp are both cheaper then the 500i last time I checked and much more bang for your buck.

Don't know- OP was really only asking about the two saws, 462 and 500i and only asking about up to 24 inch bars.
Now I don't own a 500i but have run one a bit. Do not own a 462- just an earlier standard MS460. Do not own a new 400 and have not had the pleasure of running one.

Now it could be the chain is all kerfuffled on the OP's 400- or it is the type of timber he cuts and any dust sand or dirt it might contain- if its dirty, displacement isnt going to matter much- but thats a side track.

If I was well covered in the 50-60cc range and looking for a saw for hardwood in the 24 inch bar driving range, I would be looking at 79cc as the step up from 60cc.

Yes, I own run and love 90-95cc saws with 24 inch and up bars- but the OP has already suggested they are not what he is looking for- and I cut mainly softwoods, not North Texan hardwoods.
I think the pros have different expectations from a saw then a home owner. If he was cutting 40 inch wood everyday yeah get a 661. But the OP is using it two weekends a year to cut 6 cords and has cut two 40 inch trees. The majority of wood is 24 inch. I would think a 462 or 500 would be more the adequate and would handle a longer bar if he ever needed it.

My issue with that selection is I own a 400, have cut side by side with a 2 year old ms462, and new this past spring husqy 572xp. The 462 is just that little bit faster its not worth having both saws. The 572 was much the same, just heavy as heck compared to my 400. Actually my logging buddy kept grabbing my 4000 when we were bucking the logs to haul. have cut with both my 390xp, 394xp and my cousins carb 661. The step up from the 400 a 661 or 390xp is a big jump in performance. Ivebplayed with the 500i several times at the dealers, and had thought about replacing the 390xp with it, but feedback from the site says irs not a real 90cc saw replacment, and a fuel pig to boot. The 661/390xp are both cheaper then the 500i last time I checked and much more bang for your buck.

Dont get me wrong- I agree. The two 500i's I have quiet a few hours on love a drink and do not filter that flash in the air department- but hey- they are Stihls.
But if you are not logging and carrying your fuel- well drinking habits are less of an issue and OP is only asking between the two saws and what is pretty stock on the shelf bars (over here anyhow).
Yet a lot of replies are in the 90+ cc range that he is going to skip over and ignore- has already said he does not want to go there.

I think the pros have different expectations from a saw then a home owner. If he was cutting 40 inch wood everyday yeah get a 661. But the OP is using it two weekends a year to cut 6 cords and has cut two 40 inch trees. The majority of wood is 24 inch. I would think a 462 or 500 would be more the adequate and would handle a longer bar if he ever needed it.

True that, if you are logging here- all exotic softwood forests and 661- 25-28 inch bars rule the pro arena- but thats not what is being asked about.

The 661, 462, and 500i max recommend bar length per stihl is 36 inches. The 661 would handle the big wood better but its also 3 pounds heavier. Theres is less then half a pound difference between 462 and 500 and a pound heavier then your 400. The 462 or 500 are light enough to use all day and throw a 36 on for occasional big tree. The 661 would probably sit on the bench and only come out for a big tree.
My main saw in the 90s and on was a 066 redeye with 24" bar 90% of the time. I used the one saw and bars from 24 to 42". I got used to the weight, frankly and the cutting speed was rivaled by nothing on the market. My 661 is a tad slower with a 24 but does much better with a 42 than the 066 did. And that, even before it got ported by Brad.

That said...my MM 500i with a 24 or 28 really rips, faster than the 066 or 661 and a bit lighter. But, come the need for a longer than 28" bar I wouldn't hesitate suggesting a modified 660/661 as a better one-big-saw choice. Yes, the 500 can run a 36 but not well, IMO.

I need a larger saw, maybe it’s just a want.
I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
Firewood is poor quality in North Texas and the price is outrageous.
I cut 6 cords each year for me and immediate family.
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
Go with the 500i, or will a 24" bar matter on those big saws?
Which one overall between the 462 and 500 is the nicer saw and easier to use?
Saws will remain stock, with no mods.
I do like the m-tronics.
We only have a Stihl dealer around so that is what I will be sticking with.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
More power/displacement doesn't necessarily mean faster cutting speeds if you can't take advantage of it. Using a 24" bar on such powerful saws means speed will be identical. The MS500 isn't spinning faster than the MS462. The extra power only benefits you when you have a long bar buried in big wood. I wouldn't bother with a MS500 unless I was going to run a 32" bar.

If I were you I'd just get an MS462 with a 28" Stihl light bar. I don't see any benefit of using the larger 80cc unit. Honestly, a broken in MS400 with a 24" bar and properly setup chain is normally just fine for your needs.

I've taken down 30" trees and bucked them with a 50cc and a 20" bar, so I'm surprised you're not impressed with an MS400...Sure that chain is OK?

Of course if you could live with mail order...there's always the Husky 572xp. Smoother than either of the saws you have in mind, costs around $1000 and is near the MS462 in power and speed.

Well, a lot of guys like 'em and think they're the cat's ass, though most any saw has fans that love that particular saw for personal reasons. I was looking at a 500i but like more torque (whereas it seems to be more about RPMs for speed). I'd like more time on a 500i to get a better feel for them.
My 500 reminds me of my ‘85 266xp with 24” bar. Light, good feel and very fast for cutting up small to medium sized trees. The 266 was a bit more nimble. If just cutting straight logs, weight isn't a big factor if you are young, lol. Disassembling a scraggly old tree, however, is a whole ‘nother subject. I’ve been using my Dozer Dan 346xp for decades for limbing where I used to it all with the 066. 🤪
getting old sucks…

For a more basic & simpler saw, get a Standard 462, but if you want something with a little more pep & flashy get the 500i.

They both are light and make good power.

Mad3400

I ran a new MS 400 this past weekend to disassemble a tree, 25" Sugi w/X-Cut: awesome saw, though I can see for 24"+ trees it could be "slow" when taking off work. I'm not sure a 462 would feel 'that much faster' given what @ace4059 said in the first post. If a 661 is too heavy then a 500i is probably "the saw" for his situation.

Thanks everyone for their input.
If I were to be able to do this again, I probably would have went with the MS 261 and MS 462 and would have been done with it. But I didn’t.
I think I will just spend the extra and go with the 500i so it will be the last saw I buy. It will be more saw than I ever need. Then I Can’t complain and know I won’t have the thought that I should have went bigger.
Plus in the future, if I ever need to go with a 28” or bigger bar, I’ll have the capability.
One of us will be able to run the 400 and the other the 500. Should make things a little faster.

To address the chain, I tried a new Oregon PowerCut chain and I sharpened the Stihl chain. Both were about the same as function. The problem with the Stihl chain would be cutting and then grab like the saw was biting off more than it could chew and the chain would stop like it didn’t have enough power to turn the chain. I would think even if the rakers were low then it would still have the power to pull the chain. I sharpen the chains with the stihl 2 in 1 sharpener and it adjusts the raker at the same time.

@ace4059 : Now that you've picked a saw I'd suggest grabbing at least 2 different sized bars for it, one being what you're comfortable with and one that's 4" longer, and perhaps one 4" longer than that. The bar weight helps it cut faster while you're mostly relaxing, plus the additional reach means not bending over so much. When you've a really big tree you'll have the 400 for the smaller parts and "the big bar" for the 500, which is really, really nice at that point not having to lean over the trunk and wrap a cut with a smaller bar; in that case "the big bar" is faster  and less work.

The Husqvarna X-Cut chain is really fast though if you look at it you'll see a 7/16" file isn't going to restore the cutter profile (and you need more than a 2-in-1 sharpener), so since you're using a 2-in-1 maybe stick with STIHL RS or RSK (full chisel) chain for clean wood and RM (semi chisel) for dirty wood. After trying various chains I'm going to get Carlton chipper chain for really dirty wood (no chisel), it's "slower" at first though quickly surpasses other chains in dirty wood because it resists dulling.

Congrats on your decision, I think you'll be really happy with it.

661 is too much saw for my needs. I imagine it would also be too heavy for me.
If you're cutting a lot of oak that's well over 24", I'm not surprised that you're not happy with the 400. Heck, the 460 isn't going to be big enough either. The 500 would be the bare minimum that I'd recommend. It gets you a full HP over the 400 while weighing less than the 460. Its a no brainer. Might consider getting one from a builder and having it ported up front.

On the 400, you could drop down to a 20" bar with an 8 pin rim. You could even go crazy and switch to an 18" or 20" bar with .325 chain and a 9 pin rim. If you get a bigger saw and you're keeping the 400, I would definitely go down to a smaller bar. Running an 18" bar with .325 chain an a 9 pin rim would allow you to use the same bar and chain on your 261 as well. If you go this route, drop your depth gauges down to .030" - 0.035" for the 400. The saw will pull a lot harder into the wood, throw bigger chips, and cut faster. I have both of my 036 saws setup this way, and they are my go to saws for bucking hardwood. I'd do the same thing to a 24" chain if I were running it on a 500. Leave the 261 for limbing duty (anything under 8"-10"), run the 400 with an 18" or 20" bar for stuff up to around 20", and then run the 500 for the rest.

Dont get me wrong- I agree. The two 500i's I have quiet a few hours on love a drink and do not filter that flash in the air department- but hey- they are Stihls.
But if you are not logging and carrying your fuel- well drinking habits are less of an issue and OP is only asking between the two saws and what is pretty stock on the shelf bars (over here anyhow).
Yet a lot of replies are in the 90+ cc range that he is going to skip over and ignore- has already said he does not want to go there.
I know, moot point by now he made up his mind. His 2 options just suck with what he currently has. The natural choice having a 400 is to completely skip the 462. Its honestly not that much faster, like half a second in white oak rounds 24" bars buried. I can't believe the 500i is so much better then the 462 that it's worth spending the money on it and not going 90cc. (Logical progression of saws for work that needs done.) But whatever, everyone has their preference. I'm still skeptical of his chain and or something isn't wrong with his 400. I've never met anyone that has one that wasn't impressed. Especially if they've ever ran any 60-70cc saw before in their life.

Does either saw have any quirks?

How are the power bands on both saws?

I just hate to buy the 462 and then later I say, for a few extra hundred dollars I could’ve had the 500.

With the 462 be able to run a larger bar if I ever need to upgrade in the future?

I typically run under sized bars for the powerhead
Well, the 500 I is fuel injected.

You don't act mature enough to be 14. 12...maybe.
Ok. I am not trying to start an online argument. I have ran a 661 around once in 32'' oak bucking firewood. It was the saw on the tree truck. I told the dude that I could not cut it ( My biggest saw at the time was an MS 194 ) so he told me to cut quarter through the log so he could put it up on the crane and finish cutting. I loved using that saw. I liked the way the 500i felt compared to the 661 when I held at the dealer.

Back