I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I am not trying to start an online argument. I have ran a 661 around once in 32'' oak bucking firewood. It was the saw on the tree truck. I told the dude that I could not cut it ( My biggest saw at the time was an MS 194 ) so he told me to cut quarter through the log so he could put it up on the crane and finish cutting. I loved using that saw. I liked the way the 500i felt compared to the 661 when I held at the dealer.
Well the 500I is lighter so that is a win .

Might consider getting one [a 500i] from a builder and having it ported up front.
Have you run one? Personally, that necessitates double hearing protection for me but it does throw chips. o_O

The MS 400 ported picks up a bunch of power according to Stumpshot (a porter who's place I was at a few weeks back), however the 400 is already pretty loud/powerful stock, plus tweaking the chain for the wood does wonders, though does require an interest in additional filing skills. I'd probably look into getting the MS 400 Woods Ported due to @ace4059 cutting 24" and larger trees, though first I'd work on developing a hand-file on a Grandberg Jig that works for the wood. If that wasn't enough then I'd look at an MS 500, but that's me and might not be "the thing" for @ace4059.

The OP is essentially looking for a spare saw or so two people can cut at the same time, therefore this purchase doesn't really need to be compatible with others. Just buy what you want. I have used a 500i and they are awesome, I have a 460 so don't really need one and I like tunable carbs.

Fore cutting firewood logs I like a big engine and a short bar (for that engine). The saw does lots of vertical cuts, is supported in the wood and is carried less

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
I agree with your research. My favorite saw trio is my ported 261 (18" - 3/8), and two ported 462s (20" + 24"). Next in line is a ported 440/460 Hyrbid with 28" bar, and if I need more I have a ported 661 with 32" 404 and a few 660s (used mostly for milling) with 36".

If your saws are not ported, you may want to have the 400 ported to give you the performance difference you are looking for. I purchased both my 462s before the 400s came out, but I hear they are VG saws. Not sure what species or size wood you cut, but my ported 462s are just fine with 20 + 24" bars. My hybrid has more torque, but the 462s have great throttle response and speed, and I appreciate the clean air filter tech and reasonable fuel consumption. So, for my purposes, I clearly choose them over a 500, and my hybrid clearly fills the gap a 500 would fill. My 661 has a foam filter upgrade and I run a winter filter (metal screen) on my hybrid.

@ace4059 : Now that you've picked a saw I'd suggest grabbing at least 2 different sized bars for it, one being what you're comfortable with and one that's 4" longer, and perhaps one 4" longer than that. The bar weight helps it cut faster while you're mostly relaxing, plus the additional reach means not bending over so much. When you've a really big tree you'll have the 400 for the smaller parts and "the big bar" for the 500, which is really, really nice at that point not having to lean over the trunk and wrap a cut with a smaller bar; in that case "the big bar" is faster  and less work.

The Husqvarna X-Cut chain is really fast though if you look at it you'll see a 7/16" file isn't going to restore the cutter profile (and you need more than a 2-in-1 sharpener), so since you're using a 2-in-1 maybe stick with STIHL RS or RSK (full chisel) chain for clean wood and RM (semi chisel) for dirty wood. After trying various chains I'm going to get Carlton chipper chain for really dirty wood (no chisel), it's "slower" at first though quickly surpasses other chains in dirty wood because it resists dulling.

Congrats on your decision, I think you'll be really happy with it.
7/16" file?
🤪

How well does it run against a 066/660?
Not a chance. The 660 will pull away from just about everything. 066 even more so. Much worse AV but in this situation of only a short stint cutting I'd take a new or like new 660, muffler update and go forth. The 500I has no tuning and bolt on mods like the 660. If you're pulling a 32 in hardwoods all day everyday go for more stroke. If your not skip chain is your friend in 80cc or less. A clean ported 650 or 064 is also a potent simple design.

If you can go find a 462 and run one this is probably the question you need to answer. The 500 is just like a 650 as far as power goes. The long stroke will pull better in longer bars so pick your poison wisely for your bar length you will be running. A clean ported 650 or 660 will be near the cost of a 500I with a muffler cover. Most decide before they look if modern AV and Mtronic helps them. It does not help me milling. In need of stroke and tuning over light weight and AV. 500I wouldn't live long on my mill 661 is a maybe. One way to find out.

The filter on a 500I can't be that bad with a sharp chain. They can be changed and covered with a foam wrap. Or swap out the whole filter for something better.

Oh I see the skanky to , but clean wood there square chain hard to beat , the RS Pro NK chain pretty sweet thoe ,👍
Where do you get your square files? And which files (hex? goofy?)? And is there a good intro link on angles and such you can point me to? I've studied the technique as much as I could, now need the tools, because you don't become a musician by attending concerts, ya gotta pick up an instrument. :)

I run square file chain on all my saws.
Most people are still struggling with round cutters and you know this to be a fact. If he had a modded 462 or a ported 400 on sharp square chain this thread wouldn't be here. A radical 361 will pull a 24 square with attitude if you have the chain right and it was all built for top end. The chain type and setup is always going to be a game changer.

Where do you get your square files? And which files (hex? goofy?)? And is there a good intro link on angles and such you can point me to? I've studied the technique as much as I could, now need the tools, because you don't become a musician by attending concerts, ya gotta pick up an instrument. :)
He just showed you the cutter.

I prefer a double bevel, but triangle are good to but flex a little more ,

Latest posts

Back