I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a larger saw, maybe itā€™s just a want.
I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
Firewood is poor quality in North Texas and the price is outrageous.
I cut 6 cords each year for me and immediate family.
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
Go with the 500i, or will a 24" bar matter on those big saws?
Which one overall between the 462 and 500 is the nicer saw and easier to use?
Saws will remain stock, with no mods.
I do like the m-tronics.
We only have a Stihl dealer around so that is what I will be sticking with.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
I agree with what a few others have said about the 661. It's rated for a 36" bar but you can surely run a 24" on it and it's got good torque. It may sit on the shelf a good bit of the time but there if you need the large saw occasionally.

I agree with what a few others have said about the 661. It's rated for a 36" bar but you can surely run a 24" on it and it's got good torque. It may sit on the shelf a good bit of the time but there if you need the large saw occasionally.
The guy I learned from used 281 huskys and when the 066 came outā€¦that sawā€¦with a 20ā€ bar and 8t rim sprocket. Speed? LOL, uh, yeaā€¦

that was early 80s. He was the same age I am nowā€¦65 šŸ˜³
3+ cord a day, cut, hand split and brushed, every day, 6 days a week. Almond. With his 45yr old daughterā€¦5 cord.

is there a good intro link on angles and such you can point me to?
This is the best resource I have found. For hardwood, I like the double bevel (not triangle) files, and angles of 45 down, 45 back, and 45 tilt.

https://www.madsens1.com/copy-of-sharpening-maintaining-squa
My advice: Learn to sharpen both left and right-handed, stroke straight, and always make sure the corner of the file and is in the corner of the tooth. Also, you sharpen square from the outside in, not inside out like round.

This is the best resource I have found. For hardwood, I like the double bevel (not triangle) files, and angles of 45 down, 45 back, and 45 tilt.

https://www.madsens1.com/copy-of-sharpening-maintaining-squa
My advice: Learn to sharpen both left and right-handed, stroke straight, and always make sure the corner of the file and is in the corner of the tooth. Also, you sharpen square from the outside in, not inside out like round.
I never could get the hang of sq filingā€¦

Thanks everyone for their input.
If I were to be able to do this again, I probably would have went with the MS 261 and MS 462 and would have been done with it. But I didnā€™t.
I think I will just spend the extra and go with the 500i so it will be the last saw I buy. It will be more saw than I ever need. Then I Canā€™t complain and know I wonā€™t have the thought that I should have went bigger.
Plus in the future, if I ever need to go with a 28ā€ or bigger bar, Iā€™ll have the capability.
One of us will be able to run the 400 and the other the 500. Should make things a little faster.

To address the chain, I tried a new Oregon PowerCut chain and I sharpened the Stihl chain. Both were about the same as function. The problem with the Stihl chain would be cutting and then grab like the saw was biting off more than it could chew and the chain would stop like it didnā€™t have enough power to turn the chain. I would think even if the rakers were low then it would still have the power to pull the chain. I sharpen the chains with the stihl 2 in 1 sharpener and it adjusts the raker at the same time.

Maybe the 2 in 1 is giving you a slightly more aggressive softwood style of profile than you require with the type of timber you are cutting? You might require a bit more on the depth gauges than what is currently there- you cannot add material back on to them- but you can file the cutter and leave the depth gauges alone for a bit and see if that helps the 400 out?

I hate those 2 in 1 files... need to assume the chains was right to begin with, and it's setting the depth gauge where it needs to be for what you're cutting.

So do I- totally horrible when you are well used to freehand filing- but it is what the OP is using and it could be filing enough away to make it not as suited as it could be for his 400- just guessing, but it might help.

I ran a new MS 400 this past weekend to disassemble a tree, 25" Sugi w/X-Cut: awesome saw, though I can see for 24"+ trees it could be "slow" when taking off work. I'm not sure a 462 would feel 'that much faster' given what @ace4059 said in the first post. If a 661 is too heavy then a 500i is probably "the saw" for his situation.
So your cranking on another member, how long have you owned a 462 and 500i?

Latest posts

Back