I need help deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmrMarine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is John and I'm very new to this site and chainsaws in general. I've been doing some research though and have decided to go with a Stihl or Husky.
I have a couple local stores that sell them, however, I'm leaning toward buying used.
There's a couple pawn shops that carry quite a few here. I went to one today and wrote down all the ones they had.

My plan is to help out my family this fall and the even cut to sell later.
I will be cutting around 10 cords this year and continue to do it every year.
I need something that will last and is a hard working saw. I don't know the exact diameter of the trees I will cut down but some might be decent sized. I live in northern Idaho if it helps.

Here is the list of saws. Can you pros please give me advice on what to buy, why you think i should get it over the other saws, if it's too expensive, and what to stay away from.
My older brother has a Stihl and is knowledgeable on chainsaws by the way. So don't worry, I won't be out there trying to figure it out on my own haha. I am 29 to so I'm knowledgeable of tools and have worked with tools a lot, just not chainsaws.
Here is the list with prices
Husky 455 rancher $299
Husky 272xp $369
Husky 268xp $249
Stihl 026 $249
Stihl 024 av $179
Still 441 magnum $599
Stihl MS290 farm boss $299
Stihl M310 $399
Stihl MS391 $399
Stihl 056 AV $300

Thanks guys.

It depends on the size of the wood you cut. The 026 is a dandy 50cc saw and the 441 is a great 70cc saw. The 272 would be another good 70cc saw but older. These are pro saws where the 455 is a plastic homeowner saw. It really depends on your needs and the way the saw feels as well as its condition. Do a bit of homework and read up on them. And remember, a sharp chain is by far the most important thing.

What sort of budget have you set yourself? Are the pawn shop prices all for used saws? If so some are quite expensive for saws with no known history IMHO.

Go with something modern. Several of the saws listed are getting on a bit. Go for something with a metal crankcase and not a clamshell like the 455 or ms290. Get something with a good power to weight ratio. Get a saw that will run a shorter say 18-20" bar for firewood cutting and also be able to run a 24-28" bar for felling of bigger stuff you mentioned. Many will say just get 2 saws. You will get that a lot on here. :rolleyes:
This way you will have a pro grade saw that will go the distance and be a pleasure to use and should be more than enough saw for all the tasks that you require it to do.

My own advice would be to look at a 60cc or 70cc class saw. Anything smaller at say 50cc (unless it is ported of course!) will not be very good at pulling a bar bigger than 20" or so.

372XP is a fine 72cc saw and a proven long term design. I own a 365XT and it can easily be modded into a 372XP just with the smaller air filter.

562XP also is a newer model with the auto tune automatic carb system. 60cc Very light and good power. I have one BNIB still because i like my older 365 so much.

Stihl 362 is a fine saw in the 60cc area. Stihl 441 or 461 will also serve your needs well. 441 is almost the same power as 461 but a bit cheaper. We just got a new 461 at work and it is a great saw.Handles a big bar well. Will cut with our 660 until the wood gets really big.

Having said that i have had clamshell 455 saws in the past and yes they are heavy for the power but they are pretty good reliable saws, that i had for several years being used often, that get the job done. Same can be said for the ms290. Depends on what you want to spend. ;) Remember a cheapo home depot saw with a razor sharp chain will outcut a blunt pro saw. Learn to look after your chain and your saw and you will have it for a long time.

Sawfun that's the problem. I'm not really sure how big I'll be cutting? It could be stuff for 20" bar or bigger. Why do you suggest those saws you mentioned over the others? If you had to pick just one, which one would it be?
Fearofpavement why do you say stay away from the 056? Is it because it has problems when running hot? I think I read something about that saw having issues.
Do you think the 026 would be a wise choice? How does it compare to the 268xp since there listed for the same price.

What is your max budget? I'd get the best saw you can afford. Check the Tradin' Post on this site, there are a lot of good deals to be had!

The 026 is a good saw, but it's only a 50cc. 20" bar would be the max, and it would be better with a 16-18. 056 was a good saw, but haven't been built in about 30 yrs. They are very big and heavy, also.

If you are planning on using just one saw for all your cutting, I'd suggest a 60-70cc saw. If you plan on running a 24" or larger bar on a regular basis, I would suggest a 70cc saw. I would stay away from the homeowner saws and stick with a pro built saw.

I've found that my favorite saw is a Dolmar 7900 (79cc), amazing power to weight, and they usually go for less money than a comparable Stihl/Husky...

Welcome to the forum!! :)

What is your max budget? I'd get the best saw you can afford. Check the Tradin' Post on this site, there are a lot of good deals to be had!

The 026 is a good saw, but it's only a 50cc. 20" bar would be the max, and it would be better with a 16-18. 056 was a good saw, but haven't been built in about 30 yrs. They are very big and heavy, also.

If you are planning on using just one saw for all your cutting, I'd suggest a 60-70cc saw. If you plan on running a 24" or larger bar on a regular basis, I would suggest a 70cc saw. I would stay away from the homeowner saws and stick with a pro built saw.

I've found that my favorite saw is a Dolmar 7900 (79cc), amazing power to weight, and they usually go for less money than a comparable Stihl/Husky...

Welcome to the forum!! :)

I will second that! :clap: I have a 7900 Dolmar and it is the nicest 80cc saw i have ever run. I can use it for long periods and not feel like i have been swinging a big saw. Handles well with a 20" or even up to a 32" max.
Price for me new over here was exactly half of a Stihl MS660. It's way way more saw than half of the stihl too. I didn't mention it to the OP because he said he wanted a Stihl or Husky.

I will second that! :clap: I have a 7900 Dolmar and it is the nicest 80cc saw i have ever run. I can use it for long periods and not feel like i have been swinging a big saw. Handles well with a 20" or even up to a 32" max.
Price for me new over here was exactly half of a Stihl MS660. It's way way more saw than half of the stihl too. I didn't mention it to the OP because he said he wanted a Stihl or Husky.
I run a 28" bar on mine and it feels just right to me. It's currently on it's way to Tennessee to get some port work and a modded carb...:rock:

There are a lot of good Stihl/Husky saws that I would be happy to own, and would fit the OP's needs just fine:

Stihl - 036/360, 361, 362, 044/440, 046/460, 441/461, 064, 066/660
Husky - 262xp, 357xp/359, 562xp, 272xp, 372xp, 281/288xp, 385

For a 20" bar or bigger I'd go 70cc. My pick would be first the 441, second the 272, third the 268. My to go saw is almost always a 70 cc saw. But then again I live in the PNW where 24" firewood is often the norm. A bigger saw can do what a smaller saw cannot, not the other way around. The 441 is current technology with great AV and I nice torque curve. Plus parts are easily available. I am no fit buff logger, but I am no slouch either and I can and do spend all day cutting with a 70cc saw. Then again, I am 51. In ten or twenty years I might welcome a lighter 50cc saw. It takes a lot longer to go through 15" logs with a 026 than it does with a 441. That is time that I am bent over which hurts my back. Also a 70cc saw can run a longer bar so you aren't bent over as much. In the case of a dangerous snag or blowdown you can stand just a few inches further back (safety factor) with the reach of the longer bar. The 056 is likely too big and heavy for your needs. Also outdated and hard to get parts for.

I would stay away from pawn shop saws if your new. In my experience there's usually something not right with them. 2 used saws is always better than 1 new if you cut by yourself. I would look very hard threw the trading post and buy used pro saws.

I would stay away from pawn shop saws if your new. In my experience there's usually something not right with them. 2 used saws is always better than 1 new if you cut by yourself. I would look very hard threw the trading post and buy used pro saws.

X2.
If you're gonna buy a used saw, I'd buy one from someone here in the trading post. You will most likely get a detailed history of the saw, and know it's been repaired properly. Unlike a pawn shop where who knows what the history or if it's had a "band-aid fix" to just get it on the shelf.
Of those saws you listed, I'd take the 286 or 272, because I'm a husky guy :D 272xp is getting a bit older, but it's still a dead reliable saw and all the parts for them are still readily available.

From the list you gave and based on where you live. I would suggest the Stihl 026. I had one as my "big saw" for many years and cut truckloads of trees with it. It will do most of what you do, they're light and powerful for their size. Any parts can be found and they're pro construction. I have one I've been using over 20 years on a regular basis plus a couple others.
The 056 I suggested you stay away from, not because it's not a good saw but purely not a good saw for YOU and what your situation is. (old, heavy, hard to find parts for and bigger than you need)
Don't be afraid of one of the clamshell saws such as the Husky 455 or Stihl MS290. Either of those would last for years with proper care and dice up any wood you needed cut. I've cut with both. Get something and get started. You don't need to make this a lifetime decision. It's a tool and you can sell it and buy a different one, or get a cheaper saw and keep an eye out for an additional model when the great deal comes along.
IF you buy a used saw, make sure you have a knowledgeable person check it out for you. Lots of help here on the forum too for advice. Also, buying from one of the sellers here can be good but there's no "vetting" of forum members so probably stick with someone that has some experience on the site to be safer. I sell a lot of saws but not usually on here because I like selling running saws in person. Welcome to the site.

Everyone here will try to give you their best advice. Stay with the better pro saws and you can't really go wrong, but in the end go with what YOU like and is comfortable to you. We all like a little something different than the next guy.

Yes, welcome to the site, Thank You for your service to Our Country and Welcome Home Devil Dog!

I agree with the advice of having a second saw if you will be cutting alone - stuff fails sometimes, or gets pinched. A second smaller saw is handy and can be used as backup for larger wood on occasion if needed.

i have to recommend to buy a saw from the trading post here if you are new to saws. i don't recommend any newbie to go into a pawn shop throwing money around as pawn shop saws are generally over priced and have been neglected at some point except for a few diamonds in the rough. it takes someone with an idea to pick out those diamonds in the rough though. the 365 XT in the trader is a great saw for firewood. run a 20" on it mostly and run larger if you need it. i have ran up to 32" on a 365 special but i would only recommend maxing it at 28". 365 is probably one of the best single saw plan setups available.

First off, I want to say thank you for the advice and quick replies fellas! I can't believe how quick you all were to respond and help me make an informed decision. Big thanks!
A lot of you are suggesting I stay with pro saws only. Is that because there more powerful and can cut faster and handle longer bars or because of their construction or something?
When I was at the Stihl dealer looking at different brand new ones, the guy actually suggested a farm/ranch saw. I think it was like an MS291 or something for around $400. Would this be a poor choice since its not pro?
He had a couple pros but they were over $700 which is more than I want to spend.
To be honest my max budget is $300 but I would spend $500 if it meant getting a saw that's twice as good and so on.
I know I could get that 026 for $200 then have my dealer inspect it probably. A few of you mentioned getting at least a 60 to 70cc though. Do I really need that big for first saw?? I would love the option to attach a longer bar but I'm not sure I'm going to need over 20" and if I do I'll just borrow my brothers he he.
The 441 and 272 do sound nice though! Gosh, so many choices, so little time haha.
I did see a guy here on craigslist just sell an 026 for around $300. Not sure of its condition compared to pawn shops but $200 seems like a decent deal. Do you guys agree??
The husky xps sound like their good options too, just older saws. Not sure I want to go too old. One of you mentioned the 026 was fairly modern and easy to get parts for, also light and powerful. Oh and its a pro if im not mistaken. This I like!
I really just want to get out there and start cutting! I might make a decision today. A couple of you mentioned the trading post on here for a place to buy. I do like the idea since I'll know the history better but if I have the saw inspected would I be OK buying from pawn shop? I'm pretty sure the pawn shop will take stuff back to within so many days if its defective or whatever.
Also what's a good chain and a good chain charpening tool? I'm sure I'll need to do this to it. Last but not least, if I go back there today and buy one, what exactly should I look for in terms of condition and performance when its running. Like what should I inspect and when I start it up what should I be looking for?

Thanks guys and semper fi

Another thing I forgot to mention is my brother has a huge wood splitter that attaches to the tractor. He usually just cuts big chunks of wood so many inches long then grabs them with the wood splitter arm, puts them on the splitting table and pulls a lever and that thing splits it into several small prices. So that will save me a bunch of time too:)

I think there is still a new 359 in the trading post. If I had to own only one saw for general firewood I would stay with the 60-70cc saw. At the same time I cut 90% of my wood with a 50cc saw. Having to lug around a bigger saw is much less of a disadvantage than not having a bigger saw when needed.

Check out that 359!

Welcome to the asylum marine, lots of good advice here, but beware of the peer pressure........you'll end up with a whole truck load of saws if not careful...

The 026 is a good choice for a first saw. A smaller, lighter saw is a good thing while you learn proper saw handling and cutting techniques. The 026 would be excellent for that purpose until you decide to upgrade. That said, for straight up firewood production I agree with others here, 60 and preferably 70cc is probably where you'll want to be eventually. If you think you can score a good deal on the 026, look it over real well. Look over the AV mounts, hold the handles, tug, wiggle, if the AVs are beat, ripped that saw likely had a hard life. Pull it over slowly to feel compression(or lack thereof). If the proprietor will let you, bring a T27 wrench (Torx), pull the muffler and look inside the cylinder. The P/C would be the biggest single replacement cost item. Or insist on a pro shop inspection for serviceability and ability to return if not. Pawn shop saws require experience and a good dose of luck...

Last piece of advice, don't rush into your first saw. Take some care to obtain something that will allow you to gain some experience cutting, not repairing......that will come soon enough...

A lot of you are suggesting I stay with pro saws only. Is that because there more powerful and can cut faster and handle longer bars or because of their construction or something?
When I was at the Stihl dealer looking at different brand new ones, the guy actually suggested a farm/ranch saw. I think it was like an MS291 or something for around $400. Would this be a poor choice since its not pro?

A pro model saw is designed for regular hard work. The saw most importantly will be of a better and more heavy duty construction. Also they generally will be lighter and more powerful than an equivalent farm grade or homeowner grade saw. Like i said the 455 rancher and ms290/291 are ok saws. Neither has a metal crankcase however so don't expect to have the saw for heaps of years of regular use. The pro models generally will cut stronger and be lighter, so much nicer to use for longer periods. Nothing wrong with a Stihl 026/ms260 pro. You said originally you needed a bigger saw/bar for "decent size" trees. If a 20" max is what will be fine to get the job done then a Stihl 026 would be a good starting point.

Back