I need some assistance figuring out what chainsaw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolodon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need some assistance figuring out what chainsaw to buy…

I’m a woodturner/woodworker with access to free material as long as I’m able to carve it up and haul it away. Currently, for example, I have a solid maple trunk over four feet in diameter and some oak over three feet in diameter to chop into chunks…or partially mill into planks. I typically work with trees 18” or more in diameter, so I want/need a saw that won’t be too heavy but can handle whatever I come across. While I do not intend to cut on a daily basis, I am collecting quite a bit of material to work through so I expect to use the saw often.

I’d prefer to save some cash and buy a good used saw, but new is an option if there’s a compelling reason to do so (consider my budget flexible). I have Stihl, Husky, and Echo dealers in the area (Stihl is my first choice), and my primary concerns are reliability, power, and serviceability.

I would normally run the saw with a 20” bar, but need to be able to run up to 32-36”. I’m also interested in using the saw for portable milling, but I have no experience to pull from in this area (any suggestions?).

Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer!

-Josh

If you're going to mill with it and run a 36" bar, you need a 660.

Mine is hefty. But I'm used to it and it cuts fast, so the weight won't bother you too bad. The weight is around 16lbs empty I think. 7.0hp.

That sounds like just the saw you need if you have any hope of running bars that big and milling.

I wish I owned that saw too, then I could sell the rest.:cheers: Honestly that is probably two saw territory. If you could get away with a 32" bar for the bigger stuff and are not milling huge, a good upper 70cc saw would work well too. Dolmar PS7900, Stihl MS460 or maybe 441, Husky 576xp would be some to consider. If you need the 36" bar most here would probably say Stihl MS660 or Husky 390/395xp.

If you are going to cut and mill bigger stuff, I would get a good used 660 for that sized stuff.

As to the rest of the tree, a used 361 if they run smaller or 440,441 or 460 if they are bigger. I have a 361, 441 and 660, and I like the 361/660 combo for bigger trees and the 260/441 combo for average/normal trees 30" smaller. But my opinion, is from a logging setting, I am not cutting them up into small blocks, so the 660/361 combo might have you reading less books during the cutting up process, LOL.

If you for sure are just going to get one saw then the 441 or 460 sized/powered saws would be the way to go. Of those two, I would get the 441. Wildknight or someone on here mills with their 441 (modded by Bsnelling) and I'm pretty sure they like it, but I don't know what size wood they are cutting.

The 460 is older technology and gets bad gas mileage compared to the 441 and provides little advantages over the 441 other than .5hp, which many videos have shown to only provide about 1-2 seconds of faster cookie cutting.

From reputable people all of the above could be found in good to excellent used condition for decent prices. If you have no objections to used condition you might as well save the money or get them modded.

I run a modded 441 and it cuts with a stock 660, so there is another idea, used and send it to a good modder,

Sam

My opinion,

Sam

I'm only planning to buy one saw for now so I'd prefer to make sure it will handle as much as possible...until I buy another one. :)

So far it sounds like the 441, 460, and 660 saws are the most likely candidates. What considerations should I make to assure milling is an option?

Thank you very much for the quick responses!

I'm only planning to buy one saw for now so I'd prefer to make sure it will handle as much as possible...until I buy another one. :)

So far it sounds like the 441, 460, and 660 saws are the most likely candidates. What considerations should I make to assure milling is an option?

Thank you very much for the quick responses!

If you are running a 36" bar and running a mill with it too, the 660. I would'nt even look at a 460 or 441 if I needed to do what you're wanting to do.

If you don't want to be undersawed when you run that bar and that mill, 660.

If you like Husky instead, 395. :cheers:

If you want to mill get the 660. Have you ever cut straight down on a piece like you were splitting it and get real fine dust. If you know what I'm talking about that is what milling is like on the saw. If you can noodle all your pieces then you could get by with something smaller like the 441 or 460.

For milling you always need "more power". Since you're predisposed to Stihl, look for an 066/660 and set the fuel fat and the oiler well towards wide open. This will be a "heavier" saw, so seek out a Stihl 361, Husky 266, or a Makita 6401 off rent from Home Depot for that 20" bar.

If you are just going to cut a few big trees, I would get the 441, as it will efficiently cut up 48" trees with a 28+ bar, but the 660 would likely do it faster. You probably aren't going to be getting that many trees of that size so "wasting" a little more time in the cut on those few big trees will not likely be a rough as cutting up the rest of the tree and smaller trees with a 660.

BUT if you are going to mill a lot, then you might just spring for the 660 now and grow stronger, LOL, then get the smaller saw (361) at a later date.

If you want or need anti-vibe in this size you might want to look at the Husky models of this size. I don't like Husky, but I do respect them, and you might like them.

Get with Wildknight as he mills or someone is milling with a modded 441 and I think they like it, but again, I have no idea of the size of wood.

A 660 will pull a 36" bar with no problems a 441/460 will take longer, but for 90% of the wood most people cut, you wouldn't notice the difference due to 30" and smaller wood being cut.

For 0-48" wood/trees a two saw plan is a better route.

My opinion,

Sam

Your post is unclear. Are you going to be mainly cutting trunks? If so, weight of the saw should be no issue, as you're only going to be making bucking cuts, and the greater weight of big saws is completely offset by the vastly increased cutting speeds. For the size trunks you mention, I would view a 70cc as an absolute minimum size and a 90+cc as preferable.

The current logs I have to work with are trunks and forks...

I come across various types of free wood, and help a buddy with maintaining his timber ("tree farm") on occasion. Due to the number of cuts I end up making to get suitable turning blanks/chunks, weight can be a concern so I'd rather not lug around a saw that's unnecesarily heavy. A larger one for now would be okay, though, since I can always buy a smaller one later (I just can't get two now). :)

I'm starting to gather more free material than I can manage as a woodturner, so I'm considering milling suitable pieces for woodworking projects at a later date (the idea of just saying "no thanks" and rejecting desirable free wood is not something I want to consider). This will help assure good free material doesn't end up wasted...or at least that's the plan. I just don't know much about milling, so I'm considering that phase two...as long as the saw I buy can handle it.

It sounds like the options are as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Buy a 440/441/046/460 and tweak it to perform similar to a 066/660 through modifications
2. Buy a 066/660 to start with and get a smaller one later

If I were planning to just buy one saw, I can see how option 1 would make a lot of sense. I do, however, plan to have a compliment of saws for both large and small work. So, I'm leaning towards option 2.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit...

Thanks!
-Josh

You can get some good used saws off the trading post on here from time to time. I haven't checked in a few days but there was a almost new 660 in there.

1. Buy a 440/441/046/460 and tweak it to perform similar to a 066/660 through modifications

If I were planning to just buy one saw, I can see how option 1 would make a lot of sense. I do, however, plan to have a compliment of saws for both large and small work. So, I'm leaning towards option 2.

Thanks!
-Josh

I think in your case the 660 now and a 361 or similar size later will provide the best use of money for need ratio.

If you are dealing with trunks and such the 660 is going to shine, if you are milling then the 660 will handle this with ease.

My opinion,

Sam

Apart from the milling requirement a 460/441 will do everything you need. With an 18 or 20" bar, it is a screaming limbing saw, it will pull a 25" bar (full comp) through hardwood, and if you use skip chain it will go to 30" - but you will need the high output oiler.

Layer in the milling requirement, and it makes it difficult. By definition, a good milling saw is not a good limbing saw - milling needs bags of power and torque and needs 90cc minimum, 100+cc ideally.

A 660 is a damn fine saw (I've got one), but it is markedly heavier than a 460, and I wouldn't want one as a general purpose saw. I've just had to do a clean up using a 660 as the only saw, and it was hard work.....

Me? I'd get a 460/441 and a couple of bars, and a second hand 070, 075 or 076 for milling duties.

I come across various types of free wood, and help a buddy with maintaining his timber ("tree farm") on occasion. Due to the number of cuts I end up making to get suitable turning blanks/chunks, weight can be a concern so I'd rather not lug around a saw that's unnecesarily heavy. A larger one for now would be okay, though, since I can always buy a smaller one later (I just can't get two now). :)

I'm starting to gather more free material than I can manage as a woodturner, so I'm considering milling suitable pieces for woodworking projects at a later date (the idea of just saying "no thanks" and rejecting desirable free wood is not something I want to consider). This will help assure good free material doesn't end up wasted...or at least that's the plan. I just don't know much about milling, so I'm considering that phase two...as long as the saw I buy can handle it.

Thanks!
-Josh

If you are going to be doing any milling, at a minimum, you are looking at a stihl MS660 or a husky 395xp. The 660 is like a paint shaker with handles and the 395xp is like a cinderblock. They both can also be used to dice up logs into smaller rounds but they do get heavy and they aint cheap. You are not going to be able to take a smaller saw and “doctor” it up. There is no replacement for displacement and you are going to need all you can get. Milling is very hard on a chainsaw.
I personally would go with an older husky 3120. Big giant saw with an auxiliary oiler. They are usually not too expensive on the used market. There is a milling forum above. A post or two might give you some more options before purchase.

I came across a good deal on a lightly used 660... It should be shipping within the next day or two. :clap:

Eventually I plan to get a smaller saw for cleanup and general use, but for now this will help carve up the trunks I have stacking up.

Thank you all for the input and advise. I'll check back again when it's time to add to my collection. :)

I came across a good deal on a lightly used 660... It should be shipping within the next day or two. :clap:

Eventually I plan to get a smaller saw for cleanup and general use, but for now this will help carve up the trunks I have stacking up.

Thank you all for the input and advise. I'll check back again when it's time to add to my collection. :)

you made the right choice the 660 is king and has great balance with a 20" bar

I don't do any milling, but the other day picked up a good rebuilt 064 for $385. I bought my 036 from the same guy last year for $200, and the other day he had an 034 Super (same as an 036) for $180. I picked the 064 up to use on a few big trees but mostly to use as my splitter (noodling). It currently has a 24" bar, but I will be getting a 36" for bucking the big trees. The feedback that I got on here indicated this saw was a really good fit for my needs. Between the two saws I have $585 wrapped up in them, and I haven't ever seen an 066 in decent shape that went for that price. I have noticed a few 036 and 034 saws go down around $200 in the last year. The guy I bought the saws from sells on ebay, but I don't remember his user name. If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his number. He may be able to keep an eye out and build a saw for you that will fit your needs.

Mark

Latest posts

Back