If you could have one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw which would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, you covered some good ole models. Hell some thought my 2101 was a dinosaur, we have all seen the resurrection of Huskies finest! :cool2:

The Homelite C series hasn't been mentioned yet. They aren't the biggest in terms of power/cc's (77-85cc) or the heaviest. But if you want a good firewood saw and consider the cost of $'s per cc you would be hard pressed to find a better value than a C series Homie. The C5,C51,C52,C7,C71,C72,C9,C91 saws and parts are available on Ebay. The C72 was made for many years and I still use mine today. It's all mag, tough, easy to work on, and cold starts faster than most modern saws. A while back a friend I was cuttin with asked why I still used the old dinosaur when I could upgrade to something like his Stihl 044 which was the standard for firewood saws years ago. I said well maybe I will let's see whatcha got. His 044 had a 7 pin sprocket with 3/8" chain on a 20" sprocket nose. My C72 was running an 8 pin rim with 3/8" chain on the stock 21" hard nose bar. We took turns running the saws in 15-18" oak and it was obvious mine was a little faster so I decided to keep what I had. Maybe my chain was sharper, who knows, but we had fun and learned that newer isn't necessarily better, depending on what you're wanting to do. If i had to go cut wood every day I would have taken the lighter, smoother, quieter 044. But since I just run a saw every now and then for fun or the occasional blow down, the old C72 works just fine for me.

Last edited:
Not all C types are small.

six cubes
5V65G15Ma3G63K53J4c622a1a6189b34a1323.jpg

seven cubes
2100005-2.jpg

Very simple. What if you can't lift the saw? Some of those puppies weighed in at 30 lb or more. Oh, I suppose you could watch your grandson struggle to try to lift one of them.

Look, guys, most of these old beasts were dinosaurs. One man felling a tree with one of them was darn near impossible. Nowadays, one man by himself can drop five big trees a day with a Stihl MS 660 or equivalent with a 36" bar.

I have heard stories from out west. Those 125 McCs with 72" hung off them where a one man saw. Start a kerf with the 80 and let the 125 shower you in wood. I don't need to mention those old dudes where jacked.

Can you imagine what this thread would look like if AS was around in the 60's or 70's? You'd get the old timers that were around steam donkeys, drag saws and misery whips, talking, and throw in the guys who logged in the 40's-50's with the 2 man 99A's, Mall's and the like. Wouldn't that be fun:rock::rock:

It certainly would put things into perspective.

Good point Randy, I didn't include all the big muscle saws based on the C series design. Their existence is proof of just how stout the original C series design was. I believe the main changes made to the design involved increasing bore and stroke and adding 4 and 6 reed intakes. Kind of reminds me what Chevy did with their original small block V8 that started at 265 cubes in 1955 and eventually went to 400 cubes. Can you provide us with the list of "C series on steroids" saws?

Can you provide us with the list of "C series on steroids" saws?

C5, C51, C52
C7, C71, C72
C9, C91
Planetary gear drives (.404 and 1/2") could be fitted on all the Cs. Auto oiler also.
XP1000
XP1020, XP1020A (auto), Super XP1020, SuperXP-1020A
1050, Super 1050 (some references to an XP1050, but don't remember seeing any actual docs)
2000, Super 2000
2100, 2100S (Standard), Super 2100

and, if ya count the gear drives...
XP1100
1130 (may have been designation for XP 1130, can't remember for sure)
Super 1130
and..
the 3100.
Sometimes ya see these with a 'G' at the end, but that goes without saying.

Maybe a few more in there, but that's most I think.

Dan

Of the old saws I have owned and run, the one that stands out the most as a "not-obsolete-yet" model is the Partner P100. Weight is acceptable, power adequate, safety features more than necessary. It's all bottom end, no crazy chain speed. Dead easy to work on. Parts are scarce but findable. I really like this model. I have a couple and want more. I bet there is a lot to be gained through porting on these beasts. Meanwhile, I just got a McC model 77 and am flabbergasted by how much motor they packed into so little space that long ago.

Of the old saws I have owned and run, the one that stands out the most as a "not-obsolete-yet" model is the Partner P100. Weight is acceptable, power adequate, safety features more than necessary. It's all bottom end, no crazy chain speed. Dead easy to work on. Parts are scarce but findable. I really like this model. I have a couple and want more. I bet there is a lot to be gained through porting on these beasts. Meanwhile, I just got a McC model 77 and am flabbergasted by how much motor they packed into so little space that long ago.

Nate what flabbergast's me is how much that 77 cost when new. $499.00 back in 1957 IIRC. That's what.....................$4,000 in today's money?!?!?!?!:dizzy:

That's what.....................$4,000 in today's money?!?!?!?!

Yowza! This site here gives $3251.23 in 2012 dollars for $500.00 in 1957 dollars. That's some crazy inflation. That's also a lot of cash to lay out. Can't wait to get the thing running properly. Somebody must have really taken care of this thing back in the day since it's totally complete and barely dirty. There's some paint wear but that's about it. I expect that a carb kit and a condensor will get it running again. Oh, and the recoil needs cleaned and oiled. It's sticky and rewinds slowly.

How many times has this question been asked?

Anyhow, if it means I still get to keep the ones I have, a Whitehead Logger 120 would be real nice.

Otherwise I'll just stick with the 790.

I like your thinking folks...
good points will keep them in mind..! Vintage stihl must be very nice to!
forsure,, Ok to add one more dynamics to this thread
ok i play around with old motor bikes alot old ones
i know quite abit about old Hondas street and trail cb ct cub dream ect ect nothing over 350cc though..not say bigger bikes are not as good just dont like em..
I find honda motors about the best i have worked on so far
i have found so far for motor design function and parts basically are bullet proof.
if maintained,, why i say this is i find old bikes sitting for 30+ years and basically clean carbs points and they are goood to go some dont even smoke yet! ...anyways
Ok so now what brand would you consider in the vintage chain saw world to be as equal in quality dependablilty and workmanship as Vintage honda?

This leads me to ask Did honda ever make a Chainsaw? i know they made a vintage snowbile which was a flop but problly still runs ect lol
Sorry my mind wander when
inspired ;)

luv them old saws! ha!

Also i thank you all for your help...

found this but dont know if this a true honda or home created

[video=youtube;HYCt0BYtgj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYCt0BYtgj0[/video]

Sledrat did you get your saw? My sthil 090 is freaking awesome!View attachment 287393

My new ratngs are as follows: Stihl 090G or 090AV or Mac sp125. Unless you have a really big bar, the 125 is the most useful.

Back