I'm absolutely sick!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That definately sucks. It's not just the dollar value.

This isn't anything compared to what you have lost but I had a tree service deliver a load of cut logs and I had left my carb screwdriver and the scrench on top of a log I was cutting right next to where they dumped. When I got back they were both gone. If I had left the saw there that would have been gone as well. They could tell I was just there cutting with all the fresh saw chips and knew I was coming back but they took them anyway. They were the only ones there. I left it alone but if it was the saw I wouldn't have.

Sure hope it finds it's way back to you or your dad.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Brad. There is not too many feelings that are worse than someone scarfing another man's tools. I know the feeling well. I had to leave my work van at our office overnight once, it usually comes home with me every night, and some dirtbag smashed out the back window and took every tool I had on that van. I really hope you get that saw back.

my .02

i am a firm believer in what comes around goes around

my thought if they use it .... its liable to kick back on them HARD

and they deserve it

second i love the fact it isnt what the saw is worth in money but the sentimental value is what gets u the most

i pray u find it

Brad, saws are replaceable. The time you have with your Dad is not. I envy the fact that you can go out and cut trees with the old man. You'll be fine. Just get another saw..... like you need one, lol.
You make a good point.

Granted I don't know all of the details to the story, but I would simply call the guys who came to pick up the wood. It could put this to rest real quick.
I don't even know they're names. I never saw them before this morning.

my .02

i am a firm believer in what comes around goes around

my thought if they use it .... its liable to kick back on them HARD

and they deserve it
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I have lots of new info to share. I talked to my neighbor and he saw the saw this morning on his way to work about 8:10. He knew the saw couldn't be seen from the road and didn't stop and tell me:( It was so hidden in the brush that my sife didn't even see it taking our daughter to school this morning about the same time. Matter of fact, I put another saw there this evening and had my Dad drive both ways down the road, and he couldn't see it even knowing where it was.

My neighbor's wife sees everything that goes on out front. She saw the guys drive up to get the wood. She saw me come out and talk to them. No one else had been in our drive.

A little more time on the phone with the guy I told could come get the wood, and found out the truck belongs to another guy I know that runs a landscaping company. He wasn't with them though. These two guys I guess work for him. Now here's the weird part. When I approached these guys while loading the wood, I asked them who they were with. They told me Tim. Tim? The guy they work for is Rob and the guy I told could send someone to get the wood was Ron. Sounds to me like they didn't want to be tracked.

I know it's all circumstantial evidence, but it all points to the guys that came to get the wood.

I did go ahead and file a police report this evening. With the SN of the saw, if the saw is found the SN will be in the system. For instance, if a traffic stop is made and several saws are noticed in the trunk, they can run the SNs.

Dad didn't have the SN with him, so Mom found the receipt at home. The saw was 15 years old. He bought it in 1996. List at that time was $740 and he got it for $650. Talk about inflation! Interesting none the less.

So you think I ought to go pawn shopping tomorrow, or just forget it and move on?

Last edited:
Just call around the pawn shops and ask them to run serials on any Stihls that come into the door, and any Stihls that are on the shelf.

Hopefully they're like the Pawnstars guys, asking 'Where did you get this?' for everything that walks into the shop. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to email pics of the saw to the owners of the shops, and they would watch out for your saw.

Good luck, I really hope you and your pops get the saw back. :cheers:

AND after doing that, tail those shady guys in a different car and see where they go... maybe a storage center or their garage... if they have it on their property, just take it from them. The saw is registered in you dad's name, so I'd imagine it's like taking the candy from the guy that took the candy from your kid.

Don't let them see you... unless you can fight...

this sucks brad! sorry to hear about the loss! i would be out looking hard and following every lead i could in hopes of finding the saw. best of luck! keep us posted!

I'd stay vigilant bud. Alot of crooks are either dumb, or hard up for dope. Either way, they'll be looking to move the saw quick.

Only other thing would be, if they're actually saw-a-holics like us, then they might be wanting to keep it for themselves. I would be looking into finding out who, what, where, when, why, how these guys are. I'd be all over pawn shops. Leave them a description and even a pic of the saw so they'll be able to notice it quickly.

Don't give up man. I had a Rifle stole one time and found it over a year later. The crook finally ran his mouth to the wrong person and I found out. Stay on it and good luck!

That sucks Brad and I am sorry it happened. Keep watching Craigslist. Frequently, theives will wait several weeks before posting their stolen goods for sale thinking you've given up looking for it. I really like my 046 Mag and I'm sure your dad liked his. I hope you get it back!

AND after doing that, tail those shady guys in a different car and see where they go... maybe a storage center or their garage... if they have it on their property, just take it from them. The saw is registered in you dad's name, so I'd imagine it's like taking the candy from the guy that took the candy from your kid.

Good idea unless they own a gun and you are on their private property. Even if there is no gun they could have him arrest for trespassing or harassment and while the police are taking him down to the jailhouse the crooks will dump the saw. No good can come of taking justice into your own hands.

If you find out who they are I would just pay them a causal visit and keep my eyes peeled for the saw. If you happen to see it I would call the police on the spot.

Like I said, I have no idea who they are or where they live. I simply know the guy they work for, and he seemed rather defensive of his employees when we spoke earlier this evening. The police took his name and number, so I'm hoping he catches enough heat that he puts enough heat on his employees to do something about it.

Yea, I wonder if their boss is afraid of any trouble coming towards him? Or maybe these boys are his friends and he's defending them?

I, personally would'nt want any theives working for me. I wonder how you could get names?

I would tell the police that your neighbors wife was watching outside all day and they were the only guys there. Stay on the police until they do something. Cause if you don't, they'll never do anything bout it.

Not to be a downer but my dad had almost the very same time happen with a 026 it was new. He drives truck and the road was over grown with brush it had been hitting his truck. he asked the road crew that we know to trim someday (they never do). We live back in on a small road no cars much, so he starts to cut brush and was loading it on a hey wagon back to the farm. he left the saw between trips kinda out of site, but when he came back it was gone.
Well at the time i work for the township (not the road crew)
I asked and talk to everyone i had seen and the cop laughed when i reported it. I look on CL for saws, pawnshop, ebay to no luck. It had to be someone that lives close to us that took it.

I will be on the look out, not that far from you and I look at ohio CL and pa CL almost daily.

Brad, I would call the cops and see if they would bring the two in for questioning, maybe a deal like return the saw, no charges will be filed. A smart cop will tell them it's on survelliance video, chances are they'll roll over. But be quick making the call the longer they have to get rid of it the harder it will be to get it back.
Don't depend on the cops to run the pawn shops for you, at least here they take they report and basically forget you exist. I'd be out bright and early with a flyer for each pawn shop owner, I'd prolly even offer them 50.00 dollars for info on the saw.

I would tell the police that your neighbors wife was watching outside all day and they were the only guys there. Stay on the police until they do something. Cause if you don't, they'll never do anything bout it.

I sent him a text this evening telling him about them giving me the wrong name. I also mentioned that the lady says they were the only ones that had been there. He's also aware the saw could not be seen from the road. I'm not looking to make an enemy, but I do want to press him to do the right thing. Maybe he can squeeze his boys a little the saw will pop out, lol.

Back