I'm absolutely sick!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks, we had a 046 that I built from the ground up get stolen last year at owner's home. They caught the people that did it, but the saw is long gone.

It's not uncommon for a tree company to leave a saw behind or something else. Usually you will get a call or go find it at the work site, but every once in a while, that sucker is gone! A guy dropped a tree ball cart out of truck, he realized it almost instantly and went down the road 150 yards or so and turned around. It was gone by the time he got back to the spot where it fell out.

Building on the goodness and kindness of others theory from the last few posts -- perhaps a "Lost" ad on CL -- with a little finders fee. Just a thought.
I like that idea a lot! I'm going to do that.

Brad think positive!!
Maybe your neighbor took it to get it TUNED 4 u!

You'll get it back!

:clap:

Sorry for your dad's loss. i've got one saw I couldn't stand to lose, the one I partnered with my late father to buy. I would visit every local pawn shop personally with a photo and serial number.
Around here it would disappear in a black hole of meth heads going to an individual. I hope the neighbor has it in their garage or maybe noticed someone picking it up. I'm sure you feel responsible, everyone who has been doing it long enough has made the same mistake. I left a rifle laying against a truck and ran over the thing, I was sick. Just be thankful it is something that can be replaced.
Wish you and your pop the best in recovering it.

Might try putting an ad in "lost and found" in local papers, and contacting police.

There is a chance a honest person found it.

P.S. I left a wallet in a phone booth with $400 in it. I got a call from the man who found it, and he did not want to take a reward. I made him take $40 anyway.

There are still good people out there

Hope your neighbor picked it up & its waiting for you there, dont want to think of the alternative:msp_mad:

I'm sure (knowing how Brad is) that this saw Has a sound that he could hear for a mile or more. He may just pick up the sound of it screaming from a distance, certainly they'll try to run it...(if their smart enough to start it)

I left an ar 15 sitting outside my house one time for a day night and then part of the next day when I got back it was still there. I was lucky. Hopefully whoever got it is going to do the right thing.

On second thought, I deleted the CL adds. I want the saw to be posted. That way I can maybe find it.

I just talked to the neighbor and it was still there at 8:10 this morning. It wasn't really visible from the road and he figured it was safe. I'm REALLY starting to suspect the guys that came and got some of the wood this morning. They work for some of the tree guys I know and he says he trusts them. I don't know them, so I don't trust them like that. These guys were here at 11 this morning loading wood. That's a pretty short window of time. No one else would have been back here. If you could see where the saw was setting, it really wasn't visible from the road. It's a drive shared by four houses and runs parallel to the road. All the limbs were piled blocking the view of the saw from the road. Dad's here now and we're going to call and make a police report.

If I were picking up the load and I saw that 046 on the ground and no one was home. I would have definitely taken it and tried to leave a note on the houses nearby that I had it safe. At the very least, I would have found a place on your property that I could have hidden it secure till you got home.

If I was a good guy (which I am) picking up the wood and found the saw, I would have checked with the house and if they wer'ent home, I would have hid it somewhere or took it with me.
If I were a bad guy (which alot are) picking up the wood and spotted that saw, I would have either took it, pawned it or kept it for myself. If they bad guys are smart, (which alot arent) they'll keep it to themselves and tell no one. If they are dumb (which most are) they'll try to hock it right away at a pawn shop, Ebay, CL, ect. And also be showing it off.
So in short, I'd say most likely, some bad people got it and it'll turn up for sale somewhere soon. Good luck with it man.

I thing you are right to suspect the guys that were getting the wood. If the tree service guy knows them I would be doing some investigating.

Man I almost feel sick and its not even my saw. Hell I left a chain and brand new 100 foot choker in the woods one day when I was out firewooding and I was freaking sick. I was all sorts of worked up driving back up to where I was cutting and they were still there. With my reaction you would have thought I left a million bucks up there.

Good luck to you and your dad both...I look forward to hearing a good end to this story.

Brad, saws are replaceable. The time you have with your Dad is not. I envy the fact that you can go out and cut trees with the old man. You'll be fine. Just get another saw..... like you need one, lol.

Granted I don't know all of the details to the story, but I would simply call the guys who came to pick up the wood. It could put this to rest real quick.

I can honestly say that if I went somewhere to get some wood that somebody else fell, and I saw a saw I would just leave it there.
Good luck Brad, Im sure the guys have it.

Back