Impact wrenchs are no no for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, what do you make of Brad bending a crankshaft with a piston stop? Poor technique, uneven application with breaker bar, or?

I find that a rare one indeed considering I've used a piston stop on 100's of those 180's and never damaged a one. I've also used piston stops in all models of Stihls, many 100's of them over the years and never had one single problem.

I'd say Brad's 180 had a weak connecting rod. Stihl has sold over 40 million chainsaws Space and they continue recomend a piston stop. So with those numbers what do you think??

CONNECTING ROD, NOT BOOTY ROD, wait a minute they could be the same,LOLOL

(pencil grinder has been found, I'm beginning to hate you,lol)

Next thing you know, that Snap On truck will be making weekly visits...and collections :)

Next thing you know, that Snap On truck will be making weekly visits...and collections :)

I was thinking that but I got a plan. My brother works at a auto dealership. He done spend boo koo thousands with SnapOn. I think to keep from getting hooked on SnapOn I'll get him to get it for me.

2000k also sent me a link with some reasonable priced pencil grinders, I'm checking them out.

Next week there will be one here from somewhere, Brad done got me grinding cylinders now, I don't likes him no more, hahaha

I frequently use and impact wrench, it's all about understanding the power of the tool and appropriately respecting that power without abusing it.

I chaulk it up to user error and hopefully a lesson learned.

I find that a rare one indeed considering I've used a piston stop on 100's of those 180's and never damaged a one. I've also used piston stops in all models of Stihls, many 100's of them over the years and never had one single problem.

I'd say Brad's 180 had a weak connecting rod. Stihl has sold over 40 million chainsaws Space and they continue recomend a piston stop. So with those numbers what do you think??

I thought he had two that happened right in a row, or was it another poster? I take it you think that rod would have bent no matter the method used?

No problem with impact here, I would say though the cordless impacts offer much better control than air.

I just run the impact against the saws compression with plug it and fly wheels nuts and clutches come off without problem.

I remember a service call one fine evening, not heat, oil furnace...the gentleman had taken the burner off of the furnace, stripped it down trying to find the problem...kinda like Tom removing the P & C to check a spark plug! Anyway, all that was wrong was a bad shaft coupling, replaced it, reassembled it...spent 2 hrs. or so on a 20 min. job.

I personally don't feel comfortable tearing apart a saw, not much in the way of experience...for my money, I'll take it to Tom first...as long as he dosen't make fun of my rod.
:dizzy::dizzy:

That's from a user not knowing his equipment. I have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 impacts. You just need to know which one to use for the project.

have you used an impact with large saws like 084?

No problem with impact here, I would say though the cordless impacts offer much better control than air.

I just run the impact against the saws compression with plug it and fly wheels nuts and clutches come off without problem.

I thought he had two that happened right in a row, or was it another poster? I take it you think that rod would have bent no matter the method used?

I saw the pics he posted of that ordeal. I'd say the connecting rod itself was defective and yes most anyway he put pressure on it would have netted the same results. As many saws as he has taken apart I don't see him slamming the piston against the piston stop. I take that one out many many as a bad apple..

have you used an impact with large saws like 084?

Yep, 088s, 166s, 066s, 395s

1/2 inch cordless impact seams to be enough, but 1/2 air if it's not. Have not gone at it with my new 3/4 inch impact and 1000 ft/lb... that thing either loosens things or breaks them.

WHat about the little clutch on a dewalt cordless drill? Start real soft, and tighten it up as it is clicking away. Haven't tried it, but it has to be better than hitting a 19mm box end wrench with a plastic mallet.......

Latest posts

Back