Is Stihl The Master of Puppets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets.jpg

Yes, the correct answer. You win the prize.

Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?

John, I started out cutting firewood many years ago with Homelites and a POS Mac. That Mac would really cut if....you could get it started. I tried to teach it to fly on several occasions. Finally traded it for my first Stihl (032) and still have it. Why, that was a whole new world for me! I've had several Stihls since and still have them all (cept for my 041 that someone never brought back). I am not all that brand loyal as I have recently picked up some Dolmars, BUT, I would never give up my Stihls (well maybe the 029S) as those old saws have warmed my house for many years and have ALWAYS started when I need them.

I think dealer support is a very important regardless of brand. I have to drive 20 minutes for Stihl and 30 minutes for Dolmar. Our local Stihl dealer went from a one man operation to a rental store. (Sales..no service), so, I have to drive either way. So far I really like the Dolmars but....the jury is still out...ask me again in 10 years.

those are revvy, torqueless, plastic.

Stihls are made in Germany, why they last forever... ;)

uh oh :greenchainsaw:

Please don't get me started on "make in Germany". I own a 2003 Mercedes E class. I have a new transmission already. Air conditioning, wippers, garage opener all had to be fixed. Luckily I have the foresight to buy the extended warrentee knowing Mercedes is only about names ONLY. But still don't expect to be that crappy.

Volks Waggon.....A little better, still worst than average. Audi a little worst than average.......And that is the best of all. Now a days, Even Korean Cars are better than Germany cars. BUT THEY HAVE THE BIG NAMES!!!! People bought them have many cars, so it don't matter if it break down.!!!!

Buy a beaver!

They have orange teeth which never stop growing. That's the right colour/color for most on the site and also never need to have teeth replaced or sharpened.

The beaver keeps his fur waterproof by grooming castorium oil throughout the fur; the castor gland is found near the tail. No need to pre-mix before setting to work or worry about mix ratios or bar oil.

The trails that cut trees make as the beaver hauls them to the water are called drags. Creates pathways and even hauls all the wood it cuts.

Beaver are nocturnal animals; while they are seen during the day, much of the beavers' work is accomplished during the evening and night hours. They even work while you are sleeping!

Most of the beaver's diet is made up of tree bark and cambium, the soft tissue that grow under the bark of a tree. They especially like the bark of willow, maple, birch, aspen, cottonwood, beech, poplar, and alder trees. You keep the wood to burn and the beaver keeps the bark.

Beavers can live to be 20 years old. No need to update or overhaul every few years.

So, don't buy Stihl or Husqvarna, buy a beaver. :buttkick:

John, I started out cutting firewood many years ago with Homelites and a POS Mac. That Mac would really cut if....you could get it started. I tried to teach it to fly on several occasions. Finally traded it for my first Stihl (032) and still have it. Why, that was a whole new world for me! I've had several Stihls since and still have them all (cept for my 041 that someone never brought back). I am not all that brand loyal as I have recently picked up some Dolmars, BUT, I would never give up my Stihls (well maybe the 029S) as those old saws have warmed my house for many years and have ALWAYS started when I need them.

I think dealer support is a very important regardless of brand. I have to drive 20 minutes for Stihl and 30 minutes for Dolmar. Our local Stihl dealer went from a one man operation to a rental store. (Sales..no service), so, I have to drive either way. So far I really like the Dolmars but....the jury is still out...ask me again in 10 years.

Don't get me wrong, Stihl makes a fine saw, I'm not brand loyal ether. I used to own a 088 and worked with 2-084's 1-044 and a 034.
Red it must the marketing

I went for stihl after using fs250 strimmers nothing else comes close 2.2hp and light weight yep we have tried most models the echos huskys kawasakies are all much heavier i started with the unreliable pos that is the makita rbc420e some of our workers use them but when they break they borrow my spare 250 and dont want to give it back!!!
i like the stihl chainsaws but might soon defect to husky as our stihl dealer is a major letdown
German stuff is expensive because the workers are so well paid

Buy a beaver!

They have orange teeth which never stop growing. That's the right colour/color for most on the site and also never need to have teeth replaced or sharpened.

The beaver keeps his fur waterproof by grooming castorium oil throughout the fur; the castor gland is found near the tail. No need to pre-mix before setting to work or worry about mix ratios or bar oil.

The trails that cut trees make as the beaver hauls them to the water are called drags. Creates pathways and even hauls all the wood it cuts.

Beaver are nocturnal animals; while they are seen during the day, much of the beavers' work is accomplished during the evening and night hours. They even work while you are sleeping!

Most of the beaver's diet is made up of tree bark and cambium, the soft tissue that grow under the bark of a tree. They especially like the bark of willow, maple, birch, aspen, cottonwood, beech, poplar, and alder trees. You keep the wood to burn and the beaver keeps the bark.

Beavers can live to be 20 years old. No need to update or overhaul every few years.

So, don't buy Stihl or Husqvarna, buy a beaver. :buttkick:

+1

I'm down on the hairy beaver thing. Been a fan a good long time.

German made/designed/engineered products are widely considered the BEST in the world. From Autos, to chainsaws.

It also helps that Mr. Stihl invened the chainsaw.

I bought my first Stihl in the mid '70's, and have had many since then. I now own I think 8 of them, from 026's to 460's. I have never had any problems with them, always start and cut well with a sharp chain. So I would see no reason to buy anything else. They work for me well.

It's obvious.

"Husqvarna" = http://www.husqvarnastudio.co.uk/products.html

Would you buy a saw from a company that gets a top three listing in Google for a sewing machine?

"Echo" = http://www.echo-news.co.uk/

Those of you from the UK will understand the problems with the "Essex Echo"

"Dolmar" = http://www.dolmar.com/

OK, now we're talking, but I've never seen one

"Shindaiwa" = http://www.shindaiwa.com/

Also good, but I ain't ever seen one of those either.

"Stihl" = http://www.stihl.co.uk

Also good, and I see them in the shops.

So there, that's why Stihl is the obvious choice. :clap:

More seriously:

1) My first saw was an 009 that is still going well.
2) I have lots of Stihls, and I've never had a duffer
3) I like the range. Saws (small to huuuge), Hedgetrimmers, Strimmers (small to huuuuge), Cut off saws - all from the same company, same sources of parts, same approach to building them.

German made/designed/engineered products are widely considered the BEST in the world. From Autos, to chainsaws.

It also helps that Mr. Stihl invented the chainsaw.

Bull don't make me start a thread "why the pats suck da long rod". as far saws you might need a history lesson

my uncle Buck had a stihl(or was it a still?). cut half a damn mountin side with it. lasted 20 years, on the same damn chain even.

oh wait, i can feel the tug of the strings. time to dance.

YEE HAW!

:chainsaw:

Afraid of the Truth?

But yeah, nothing good cam come of this thread...lots of little orange Kool-Aid drinkers running around :cry: with their fingers in their ears yelling " LA LA LA LA LA LA LA "

Hi there, everybody!
I'm new to the site, so please correct me if I'm wrong - but is RED-85-Z51 the on-duty crap artist around here? I've read quite a lot of his ramblings, so I'm aware of his Stihl problem/fixation/disturbance (as in the present thread), but also his technical/practical concepts appear to be highly unorthodox (to put it mildly) ... Strange, very strange ...

Hi there, everybody!
I'm new to the site, so please correct me if I'm wrong - but is RED-85-Z51 the on-duty crap artist around here? I've read quite a lot of his ramblings, so I'm aware of his Stihl problem/fixation/disturbance (as in the present thread), but also his technical/practical concepts appear to be highly unorthodox (to put it mildly) ... Strange, very strange ...

I think we are going to get along quite well. Good observation.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back