Is Stihl The Master of Puppets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think so to, my Friend :cheers:

BTW May Red the Great continue to share his novel observations with us lesser mortals ...

You have to admit that when they say laughter will make you live longer. His posts will keep you around here for an eternity.

You have to admit that when they say laughter will make you live longer. His posts will keep you around here for an eternity.

Would you believe me if I told you that I once thought that people like Red didn't really exist?! Wasn't I ignorant?!

Husky is the preferred brand in this area. A lot of people I talk to say they've had Stihls and weren't particularly impressed.

German made/designed/engineered products are widely considered the BEST in the world. From Autos, to chainsaws.

It also helps that Mr. Stihl invened the chainsaw.

Auto, where have you been??? Please read JD Power and Consumer Report and read all the other web sites. Our good old american car kick their behind. Even the Korean start kicking their behind. Only brand that is worse than Mercedes is Land Rover.

And German don't know safety either. The BMW 5 series FAIL!!! Mercedes E class side impact just marginal. They are just like us in the 70s, going down the crapper. Audi is the only one that at least is OK. It is all perception, not reality. Just hope Stihl being build in USA is better.

Nothing stay the same, have to keep up with it or you can waist a lot of money. Also see my experience in my last post.

Last edited:
Hi there, everybody!
I'm new to the site, so please correct me if I'm wrong - but is RED-85-Z51 the on-duty crap artist around here? I've read quite a lot of his ramblings, so I'm aware of his Stihl problem/fixation/disturbance (as in the present thread), but also his technical/practical concepts appear to be highly unorthodox (to put it mildly) ... Strange, very strange ...

Hey look everybody, I think we found the new Forum DEE DEE DEE.

Hey look everybody, I think we found the new Forum DEE DEE DEE.

Hi Red,
You're getting way too excited - if you don't calm down, you may just wet yourself.

PS As a great fan of yours, I have to add that I really love the story about how you worked all day with three saws, used up half a gas station and cut up a few sticks ... I don't think anybody but you could have been that successful.

Buy a beaver!

They have orange teeth which never stop growing. That's the right colour/color for most on the site and also never need to have teeth replaced or sharpened.

The beaver keeps his fur waterproof by grooming castorium oil throughout the fur; the castor gland is found near the tail. No need to pre-mix before setting to work or worry about mix ratios or bar oil.

The trails that cut trees make as the beaver hauls them to the water are called drags. Creates pathways and even hauls all the wood it cuts.

Beaver are nocturnal animals; while they are seen during the day, much of the beavers' work is accomplished during the evening and night hours. They even work while you are sleeping!

Most of the beaver's diet is made up of tree bark and cambium, the soft tissue that grow under the bark of a tree. They especially like the bark of willow, maple, birch, aspen, cottonwood, beech, poplar, and alder trees. You keep the wood to burn and the beaver keeps the bark.

Beavers can live to be 20 years old. No need to update or overhaul every few years.

So, don't buy Stihl or Husqvarna, buy a beaver. :buttkick:

Very Nice! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Of course, you have to wonder if the Beaver is going to cut down the tree you want him to? :monkey:

Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?
Why did you even ask this Question!? Everyone knows Stihl Heads are a stubborn bunch and Afraid to try new things!
I also find my Stihl dealers to be the worst!!!! I can get better Service at Canadian tire!Try A Month wait to get a Air filter for a 041 Super and that is only after I gave them the part Number and asked to speak to the Manager.
I might as well order away for a Dolmar(which I did) and get way better Service than locally. Except for my Jred dealer great service very fast and let me play with the saw's.
I don't hate Stihl they make Junk as well as a good product! I Really liked my 056Mag2 But then it was No big Mac Of course this is just my opinion. That 056 I had was very very Afraid of my sp105:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Hi Red,
You're getting way too excited - if you don't calm down, you may just wet yourself.

PS As a great fan of yours, I have to add that I really love the story about how you worked all day with three saws, used up half a gas station and cut up a few sticks ... I don't think anybody but you could have been that successful.

lmfao, could you post a link to that

Bottom line is...as far as Stihl people go...What they know, is Dwarfed only by that which they THINK they know..

Hey red,, I should cut your poulan and echo collection into with my Stihl..
You probably got beat up alot as a kid... And maybee Stihl..... hehehe

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, Stihl makes a fine saw, I'm not brand loyal ether. I used to own a 088 and worked with 2-084's 1-044 and a 034.
Red it must the marketing

To narrow it down to only marketing is doing Stihl a great disservice. Stihl has typically provided very good support to their dealers and have invested in a network that makes it "good" to be a Stihl dealer and have good coverage in the US, coast to coast. Doing so is expensive, and takes a lot of trained people to oversee and keep operating through a diverse group of independent dealers. Where ever you are in the US, you can find a servicing dealer.

Husky, on the other hand, "danced with the devil" and tried to expand distribution through "big box" stores. The move caused problems in the independent dealer base. Complicated further by their wanting dealers to support their whole outdoor line including mowers and blowers, etc. Here in the Midwest, Husky dealers are few and far between. One dealer complains that he hasn't seen a rep in a long time, and they have just a smattering of small saws on the wall. That describes "most" of the guys on the dealer list in this area. They have a lot of rebuilding to do in much of the country.

Dolmar has had some fits and starts over the years. There are some loyal dealers out there, but they don't have enough coverage in the country to reach "critical mass". We have one dealer on the other side of town (30 mi +) and I know of one other in my territory that has taken on the line recently. I'd love to see more, but that will take a huge investment by Dolmar to build a network. It's a huge commitment.

Notice I didn't mention they were #1 for quality. I agree they make great saws, arguably some of the best in the world, but that's not what "butters the bread". It's the consumer products that keep the pipeline open. For every 660 that goes into the market, thousands of 170/180/210/etc are sold. The little saws make the big ones possible. The network sells the little ones and a few big ones. Stihl paid the price to build it, and their decisions have paid off well. They have capitalized off of the mistakes of the other brands by building the business the "old fashioned" way.

Husky and Dolmar make great saws, they just need a dealer base to match. It isn't going to happen over night, but it can be done.

Mark

I should mention My Dad worked for Dolmar when they were Sac Dolmar when He was a Teenager in Germany, Things Come full Circle don't they.

The title of the thread is "That the longest Ive ever cut wood in my life.. ", and it was originally authored by our great Red woodsman. In my honest opinion, its simply unbeatable ...

Posted it a few weeks ago, shouldnt be too hard to find.

Had 3 saws, only used 2. The mid sized saw had a bad bar, really slowed me down. However the smaller saw did fine. I did finally figure out what the problem was with the Tanaka bar though. Had a failure in how the bar is laminated together, it spreads just enough at the back on the bottom to let the chain slip in...wont cut that way.

Hey A Beaver is Smarter than a Stihl head!

Hee Hee Haw Haw Haw...I can see that it really pains you that STIHL is so successful. STIHL Head?....Yep! What can I say...Don't blame me for appreciating a quality saw with quality support.

:cheers:

Posted it a few weeks ago, shouldnt be too hard to find.

Had 3 saws, only used 2. The mid sized saw had a bad bar, really slowed me down. However the smaller saw did fine. I did finally figure out what the problem was with the Tanaka bar though. Had a failure in how the bar is laminated together, it spreads just enough at the back on the bottom to let the chain slip in...wont cut that way.

Good Lord, Red - why don't you brigthen up your life and buy yourself a quality saw (e.g. Stihl or Husqvarna)?!

Latest posts

Back