Is Stihl The Master of Puppets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hee Hee Haw Haw Haw...I can see that it really pains you that STIHL is so successful. STIHL Head?....Yep! What can I say...Don't blame me for appreciating a quality saw with quality support.

:cheers:
Maybe you have support but I don't, Any way in ten years or so when Stihl comes up with a new Saw I might try one again.

Posted it a few weeks ago, shouldnt be too hard to find.

Had 3 saws, only used 2. The mid sized saw had a bad bar, really slowed me down. However the smaller saw did fine. I did finally figure out what the problem was with the Tanaka bar though. Had a failure in how the bar is laminated together, it spreads just enough at the back on the bottom to let the chain slip in...wont cut that way.

I figured it out too, Red. To start with, it had a Tanaka powerhead attached to it. No need to go any further really! :hmm3grin2orange:

around my neck of the woods ive never seen a large tree company use anything but stihl chainsaws. asphlund, lewis, bartlett, davey. im sure if thier was a chainsaw that was more productive they would be using it chainsaws are pennies to thies companies.

dont get me wrong jred husky dolmar thier all good saws. but stihls sure get the job done and keep on rockin.

Last edited:
around my neck of the woods ive never seen a large tree company use anything but stihl chainsaws. asphlund, lewis, bartlett, davey. im sure if thier was a chainsaw that was more productive they would be using it chainsaws are pennies to thies companies.

Same is true around here. STIHL saws are everywhere. In use by professionals and homeowners alike. This fact seems to seriously perturb the STIHL bashers. Oh well...they can basque in their contempt! The funny thing is; most STIHL guys will readily admit to you that Dolmar, Husky, Jred, and others all make a fine a saw with certain models standing out as very good examples. Still, these folks feel compelled to tell you about how bad STIHL is...when we all know that it's not. I guess they find it hard to accept STIHL's success. Poor Buggers! :ices_rofl:

:cheers:

Good Lord, Red - why don't you brigthen up your life and buy yourself a quality saw (e.g. Stihl or Husqvarna)?!

Ive got a running 025, and a MS-260 Ive got to put a P & C on...Ive got a new Husky 350.

Not impressed.

But alas, Ive got a great saw, one of the best. Anyone that has an open mind (read: not a orange koolaid drinker) that has used a Echo CS-520 KNOWS that they are a fine 50cc class saw.

Stihl is a master of Marketing. They market their product as the best, even though it isnt. People figure if they say it's the best..it must be the best.

Can you tell me of any saw company that doesn't say their's is the best? How many Echo boasts of quality have you yourself made on this forum?

Can you tell me of any saw company that doesn't say their's is the best? How many Echo boasts of quality have you yourself made on this forum?

Ive said that the Quality was top notch, on par with other top tier manufacturers...something that stihl heads arent willing to admit to. Ive never said stihl was trash, no Husky. In fact Echo, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar...are all great brands if you have na open mind. Toe to Toe, CC to CC..they all match up quite well.

dont get me wrong jred husky dolmar thier all good saws. but stihls sure get the job done and keep on rockin.

Though I'm way off Pennsylvania (Poland!), I can only concur that serious tree companies prefer Stihl equipment - and not only chainsaws - to that of any other make.
Incidentally, the same goes for me - a semi-pro user (i.e. more semi than pro:) ). My Stihls (260 Pro and 440 Pro) are rock solid, literally unbreakable, and always, always, always get the job done. A fine product - no more and no less.

Ive said that the Quality was top notch, on par with other top tier manufacturers...something that stihl heads arent willing to admit to. Ive never said stihl was trash, no Husky. In fact Echo, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar...are all great brands if you have na open mind. Toe to Toe, CC to CC..they all match up quite well.
What did your Echo rep tell you regarding oils? What about Echo making only professional saws?

Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?

Good thread here John. I think the answer is very simple, the majority of people are pretty smart. You can fool many but the bigger majority will not be fooled. Sure you will see guys like Red yaking about Stihl and thinking Poulan is the best thing since 7-up but the majority know better. You will find the cookie cutters all raving about speed of their Husky but do they use those saws for a living day in and day out, not hardly. There are guys like you John that think the Dolmar is the hottest thing out there and I think your right on that. I think the 7900 and 5100 are the cream of the crop. Sadly though the majority doesn't care for all that speed when dealers are so far and few, the speed isn't worth the headache to the vast majority of buyers. Stihl has had their act together for decades, from the momemt the saw is sold all they way through till its completely wore out. Thats why the majority has always preferred Stihl and always will. Good thread John.

Last edited:
Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?

PuppetMaster movie series... good cheesey horror films. Maybe the Blade puppet should have had a Stihl chainsaw instead of a knife?

In my case, my dad had Homelite chainsaws. Not many Stihls around here in those days. He did not smoke either, but my one brother and I did, and we rolled them in our t-shirt sleeves. We also used a pair of big old honki'n MACs with 36 inch bars on them. Then my other borther got a Stihl, and that thing was small and light and it ran good.

Fast forward 30 years and I was here managing 85 acres of trees on a 100+ acre property. GF had an Olympyk and a Stihl 290, and I had one of the old Macs in storage and a baby Echo 3000 TH saw. The best saw of that lot was the Stihl 290, by far. After using the Olympyk I decided I wanted a larger, more reliable saw in that size that would drive a 24 inch bar. I looked around. Never heard of Shindawa, or Solo, or Dolmar at that time. So I looked at Husky, Mac (old loyalty there). Echo and Poulon. Decided after reading stuff on this site to get a 361. Reasons? More than a dozen Stihl dealers within an hour of here. Did not like the Husky and larger Echo plastic-looking saws. Bought an MS361, and never regretted it.

Then decided to get a bigger saw. Looked around again. No Dolmar dealers within 100 miles of here. Supposed to be one in Salem, but that store is boarded up and has a chain link fence around it. So I have yet to look at Dolmar, except what they have to rent at Home Depot (Makita DCS). Anyway, I got a 460 on Ebay from an AS guy. Ran it a few days and decided to return it, due to condition (well worn) and he gave me a return it for any reason deal when I bought it. It was also to prone to a lot of vibration and is a gas hog. Cuts like mad through big wood though. I am still looking for a larger saw, and have my eye on a Dolmar 7900 to do large felling and bucking with. But no where to see one here within 150 miles!

Then last year we decided to do a thinning project here, and I wanted to get some smaller saws. The GF was using the Echo TH too much. I again looked at Husky, and Echo, but I do not like outboard clutches, and they both seem to have too much plastic for my likes. Again, no Dolmar dealers here... looked at the Dolly PS 410 online, but decided to get a Stihl 210 (170 and 180 were toys). Anyway, the 210 is OK, but has too much plastic, and not enough oomph. I also got an 025 and another 250 and 230 parts saws. After fussing and using these saws they do the thinning job OK, but they are too much plastic and not what I want. What I want now to replace these 210-250 Stihl series of saws with are the Dolmar PS350 and/or a PS420. New smaller lighter saws, with metal engine cases, low vibration spring mounted, inboard clutches, and adjustable oilers. They accept low-profile b&c, which I prefer to .325. But of course, they still cannot be had in the US. So.... no Dolmar saws here yet.

So in the end? It is not a dad used it with rolled up smokes in the t-shirt sleeve kind of thing. Yah, I like Stihl saws, but I am leaning toward Dolmar for larger and smaller class saws now. I do not think that there is a saw in the 361 class that can beat it. High Stihl parts prices are mathed by high parts availability around here. 15 minutes from here there is a Stihl/Husky dealer. 150 miles from here is the nearest Dolmar dealer. Supposedly...

Ive got a running 025, and a MS-260 Ive got to put a P & C on...Ive got a new Husky 350.

Not impressed.

But alas, Ive got a great saw, one of the best. Anyone that has an open mind (read: not a orange koolaid drinker) that has used a Echo CS-520 KNOWS that they are a fine 50cc class saw.

I've done better. I've used a Echo 8000, the biggest baddest Echo made. Sadly my 064 Stihl not only outcut with ease that Echo has been in the shop more times than Mayor Berry has been in a crack house. Now whatcha gots to say bout all that,hehe

Not impressed.

Sure, they are a fine saw. Untin you cut against a real saw.
Another reason why they are always so fine, I can fine them in the dumpster, the shop, I can even fine the camo one in the woods after the user lost it. I tend to leave the little things there though. It's not hurting anybody until you trip on one.

Good thread here John. I think the answer is very simple, the majority of people are pretty smart. You can fool many but the bigger majority will not be fooled. Sure you will see guys like Red yaking about Stihl and thinking Poulan is the best thing since 7-up but the majority know better. You will find the cookie cutters all raving about speed of their Husky but do they use those saws for a living day in and day out, not hardly. There are guys like you John that think the Dolmar is the hottest thing out there and I think your right on that. I think the 7900 and 5100 are the cream of the crop. Sadly though the majority doesn't care for all that speed when dealers are so far and few, the speed isn't worth the headache to the vast majority of buyers. Stihl has had their act together for decades, from the momemt the saw is sold all they way through till its completely wore out. Thats why the majority has always preferred Stihl and always will. Good thread John.
Nice way of putting and all along I thought you bled orange and white:)I am outa bullets or I would of gave ya some rep But then there is some of us who's Stihl dealers really suck in a big way and you are better off buying at a big box store!

Last edited:

Not impressed.

OK, let's approach this problem from a different angle. Don't you think that if during your heroic day-long escapade (incidentally, you made it sound like you were taking part in some global conflict or war of the worlds - never mind) you had one quality saw, i.e. one that functioned properly and had an operational, properly laminated bar, etc., you could have cut up a lot more of that wood a lot faster, and used up a lot less fuel? By presenting your adventure as you do, you only reinforce the quite obvious view that your collection of exotic crap-saws is indeed a collection of exotic crap-saws.

PS One question - does your obsession with "echo" stem from the fact that you are in some way engaged in the sonar business?:confused:

From another thread:

The reason why Stihl is #1

attachment.php

Back