Is Stihl The Master of Puppets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethro

Heathen
Reaction score
Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?

good running reliable saws. in our company thier tried and tue they are abused on a daily basis and some have been going on 6 years without any down time.

Why are so many people drawn to Stihl is it because thats what dad used or the cool logger down the road who rolls his cigarettes up in his sleeve uses. Ya they have dealers in most counties. Is it because people think since the saws and saw parts are more expensive than others they should be better in quality?

This is either going to be fun or get nasty or both
Let's get the party started:popcorn: :cheers:

Last edited:
At least in this neck of the woods the choice of saws seems to be very much Stihl vs. Husky. There are almost no Dolmar, Jonsered or Other brands available in dealers. Within 20 miles of my store there are about 10 Stihl dealers and 8 Husky dealers and no Dolmar, or Jonsered so it's a fairly simple choice. There are several places that carry Echo also but they don't stock too many saws and more focus on trimmers and blowers. Ok according to Dolmar's website there is one dealer in Rochester, but I know for a fact they don't carry any of their equipment on the shelf.

Last edited:
Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets.jpg

When I think of STIHL people...I think of that movie "Body Snatchers" from 1993...

Stihl is a master of Marketing. They market their product as the best, even though it isnt. People figure if they say it's the best..it must be the best. So they drop huge $$ on a saw..and now they have to tell their freinds how wonderful it is, because it costed so much. SO now their freinds figure they must also spend a ton of $$ on a saw becasue clearly you have to spend alot to get alot...

Bottom line is...as far as Stihl people go...What they know, is Dwarfed only by that which they THINK they know..:cheers:

But maybe dad and the cool logger have good reasons?

Uh-oh, here we go again :dizzy:
:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

:popcorn: :popcorn:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<o<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<

_______________\]/___//\\/_______

:jester:

John, I always thought you were ok, but am starting to wonder now.

I like having a saw that is very torquey, reliable and built like a brick **** house. For that reason, I offed most of the husky's. I still have my few favorites. I used to be a husky guy, but the stihl saws have opened my eyes to what is really out there. Just hope all the new stihls don't go the other way

I just don't see that in the newer huskies. The New Dolmars are making a pretty good intro. Love the 7900's.

I don't like a saw that breaks easily when dropped, or looking for missing screws after running other saws, even if you don't have to clean the air filter.....LOL

Last edited:
I got my 044 for cost so it was a no brainer (my old McC was dying and no parts available). The wife picked up the 018 so ya gotta ask her why Stihl. When it came time to replace the 018 (gotta say, that little saw worked much harder than it was engineered to and lasted) it was between the 260Pro or 353, price won out.

If the 018 is any indication of how other Stihl models will last then I'd say durability is why I'd go with Stihl. Now, will the 353 show me that the Hq is just as tough -- time will tell -- I'll report in about 3-4 yrs. (or earlier).

No need to argue the point on this thread. Seeing as how it was started by a drunk(according to Tom) whose only friend is a drinking squirrel. And since Red posted some of his pointless knowledge in it,. I would say it is time to close it.

Afraid of the Truth?

But yeah, nothing good cam come of this thread...lots of little orange Kool-Aid drinkers running around :cry: with their fingers in their ears yelling " LA LA LA LA LA LA LA "

Afraid of the Truth?

But yeah, nothing good cam come of this thread...lots of little orange Kool-Aid drinkers running around :cry: with their fingers in their ears yelling " LA LA LA LA LA LA LA "

You can't handle the truth:jawdrop:

I have never had a Stihl of my own, my buddy has the 046 mag and the ms361 nice saws, I have the saws in my Sig. Me and him cut together all day long and mine do just fine. I am sure the Stihls are nice but hey mine work for me. my Dolmar 7900 ROCKS. to tell the truth i like my old 55 Husky but it's not stock, my J red 2152c will have the Husky NE346XP Top end soon with a shotgun Muffler. I am looking for a big improvments on this when done. and i like the J reds and Huskys, but my baby is the 7900-13.6 LBS and 6.3 H.P soon i will prolly mod the muffler.

Last edited:
Back