is there something wrong w/ this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could break 'em down and make shorter loops out of 'em, they'll cut like a mother @%$*er, but get a firm grip on that saw, she's gonna bite !!!

+1 this was my first thought and probably what im gonna do....maybe also turn them into square tooth ...think 99cc's can pull that on a 10 Pin, stock???? just time cuts...(i've got a mild expansion chamber too.....but the welds look like the muffler mentioned below(it does work though))

After seeing your welding skills on the 359 muffler why not weld new tips on the rakers and file them back

OMG...was hoping everyoone forgot about that....:monkey:

Last edited:
Gawd, I can feel the horrendous saw vibrations through the picture! Bummer man. You can't teach an old saw-dog new tricks. They know everything. Seems like *some* techs at the saw shops are elitists of the highest level. Your just a dumb "wanna-be", or so that's how they may try to make you feel. Good luck finding new chain.

Last edited:
I'd pack and mail that chain to Stihl and tell them this is how your dealer sharpens chains...Hate that happened to you...No only dangerous,,but sure is hard on your saw,,clutch...Just aint right man,,,just aint right.....

This is the best suggestion I've heard yet. There could be a liability issue with Stihl named as a defendant. They may just send you a new chain and want you to forget the whole thing. I also agree about the hard time such a chain will give your saw. I think I've read there is even a chance of bar fracture. Kuh-ching.

This thread has been bouncing around a bit, but I must say, it is rare to find anyone who knows how to correctly sharpen a chain, and since this guy has been doing this for years, he will not admit that there is anything wrong.

I would contact the area distributor, and e-mail him the pics, and talk to the rep for this area, they will likely make good on the chains, and later try to
talk to the guy, but it won't do any good.

They are "hyper-sensitive" to a dangerous setup like the one in you pic,
so you will likely get good response. Don't waste any more breath with this dealership, as their dad is the final "say".

In our litigous world, your pic screams "lawsuit"!!!!

Yet another example of the fine job Stihl does with its brick and mortar store businesses. You wonder why people try to get away from this company?? But hey..when they are the only game in town, you just put-up, shut-up or do the AS recommended “find another dealer who is 100 miles away”!! That crap is just plain sad… Good luck with your chains!!

:agree2:
Is there any such thing as a performance review for the Stihl dealers, or some kind of rating system for them? I think they would TOTALLY own the saw market if they could somehow weed out the crap dealers out there. I know that it doesn't matter the brand, wether it be Stihl, Husky, J-red, etc... they all have some bad ones, but why is it that Stihl dealers always seem to be the ones that everybody has the problems with???:confused:

Is there any such thing as a performance review for the Stihl dealers, or some kind of rating system for them? I think they would TOTALLY own the saw market if they could somehow weed out the crap dealers out there. I know that it doesn't matter the brand, wether it be Stihl, Husky, J-red, etc... they all have some bad ones, but why is it that Stihl dealers always seem to be the ones that everybody has the problems with???:confused:

Because they are the only ones "STIHL" in business.

Who would be the "said" Judge?

The real problem is the lack of any other available avenue to acquire stihl products or services. Is it too much to ask that they sell stihl chain or bars online?? Cripes, you can’t even find a parts breakdown or parts numbers for a stihl product on-line, like it is some super secrete proprietary information. Yet in Europe, Stihl online is not a problem. Give me a break! This guy was not trying to modify a 660 so it got 0.00001 less squish. He just wanted a sharp chain so he could do his job and put food on the table for his family. Absolutely shameful of this company to continue to allow this kind of crap!!

Because they are the only ones "STIHL" in business.

Who would be the "said" Judge?

I think the customers would be the judge. In the motorcycle world, when you purchase a new Triumph you also receive a feedback card that you fill out and send back into the manufacturer. All the Triumph dealerships are rated this way, then they know which ones need help with their service or customer relations. Seems like a good idea to me and it works for Triumph....

The real problem is the lack of any other available avenue to acquire stihl products or services. Is it too much to ask that they sell stihl chain or bars online?? Cripes, you can’t even find a parts breakdown or parts numbers for a stihl product on-line, like it is some super secrete proprietary information. Yet in Europe, Stihl online is not a problem. Give me a break! This guy was not trying to modify a 660 so it got 0.00001 less squish. He just wanted a sharp chain so he could do his job and put food on the table for his family. Absolutely shameful of this company to continue to allow this kind of crap!!

Whinners everywhere... :buttkick: What has this got to do with one idiot dealer screwing up a chain? How does mail-order anything fix that?

Stihl dealers are independant reselllers... Some are fools. Talk with your wallet and go elsewhere. As for Europe.. different legal system... The problem is with the lawyers....

Is there any such thing as a performance review for the Stihl dealers, or some kind of rating system for them? I think they would TOTALLY own the saw market if they could somehow weed out the crap dealers out there. I know that it doesn't matter the brand, whether it be Stihl, Husky, J-red, etc... they all have some bad ones, but why is it that Stihl dealers always seem to be the ones that everybody has the problems with???:confused:

Because there a a zillion more of them... crap exists everywhere... no matter the brand.

Best feedback is to go somewhere else, or, for a legitimate issue, bit?h to the Stihl area rep, in writing. Write to the Better Business Bureau. Stihl will listen if there are enough complaints.

Home Depot has to be the largest Echo dealer on the planet. How do they rate with any OPE assistance...? other then to willingly take it back for any reason and stick it to the OEM.

Last edited:

Probably because Stihl dealer are 3:1 dealer ratio compared to other Manufacturers dealers. Probably 20:1 on Dolmar. They have more opportunity to have mediocre dealers:)

Yet another example of the fine job Stihl does with its brick and mortar store businesses. You wonder why people try to get away from this company?? But hey..when they are the only game in town, you just put-up, shut-up or do the AS recommended “find another dealer who is 100 miles away”!! That crap is just plain sad… Good luck with your chains!!

Seems like you have an axe to grind with Stihl.... Why not write to them instead of using AS as a soapbox?

Only game in town? Maybe in 2-dot Montana.... but there's multiple places to sharpen chains almost anywhere... if you do live in a back-water one-store town (most don't) and don't like the chain sharpening, neither will anyone else in town so you've now got yourself a mindless but profitable business opportunity.

Last edited:
Hey lake… you need to get a grip. It was not my chain that was wrecked by an incompetent dealer but since I make my living with a chainsaw, not just twiddle with them in the back shed, I feel for this guy. If Stihl cannot provide superior service for their products, some other company will. I have no ax to grind with stihl. I own many and will continue to purchase Stihl product as long as I feel I am getting the best value for my hard earned dollar. If Stihl dealers are too ignorant to accept constructive criticism of poor or outdated policies concerning business operations especially where the end users of their products are pointing out flaws in their current system, then both you and Stihl deserve to fail. You want to talk about Group Think. Just keep drinking the “Stihl Kool-aid” and eventually you will be OK.

Back