Is This Normal When Buyer a New Chainsaw at a Dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isipwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just went to a local Husky dealer and bought my first chainsaw, a Husky 555, and have a couple questions for people who have more experience in buying new saws. Here is what happened:

When I told the sales man that I wanted the 555, he told me he was going to give me the floor/display model.

I told the salesman that while I was inspecting the display/floor model 555 (the saw he was going to give to me), that the bar/chain oil cap was jammed and I could not twist it open.

The salesman assured me this was fine and that he would open it up in the back room.

I asked the salesman why he was giving me the floor/display model since I had previously confirmed that the store had 3 other new 555's in stock. The salesman said "they are all the same" and went about ringing me up.

I did not protest because I have never bought a saw before and did not know if this was normal.

When I got home with my new saw, I noticed that the previously jammed bar/chain oil cap had a couple of deep gashes from someone who must have unscrewed it with pliers.

Since I just dropped a lot of money on a new saw, my 3 questions are:

1) It is normal to give customers the floor/display model saw that everyone else has been handling and playing with?

2) Should I return the saw and ask for one of the new saws in the back?

3) If it is normal to give customers floor/display model saws when they have more in the back, should I ask for a new oil cap since they gashed it?

I WOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT THE STORE WITH A BRAND NEW DAMAGED SAW!!! YOU KNOW IF YOU TAKE IT BACK THEY ARE GOING TO SAY THAT YOU DAMAGED IT AND YOU WILL BE ONYOUR OWN. SORRY, MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK FOR SOME REASON.

In a nutshell, it's YOUR money! That gives you the right to spend it as you see fit.

Many dealers want to sell the saws on the shelf first. They need to have one on display, so everyone can handle it, look it over, pull the rope a few times, and work all the switches, levers, knobs and controls. That's why I never buy off the shelf.

If you're not happy with it, return it and get one still in the box. Or, one that's not sitting on a shelf in the display room.

1) 'Normal' varies.
2) Probably not. Don't look for bad mojo.
3) Maybe. How bad is it?

You are the one buying. If you don't want a floor model, be prepared to say so, and walk away if they refuse.

That said, there is nothing wrong with buying a display model. In your case, since you are already home with it, I wouldn't worry about it, beyond At Most asking for a new oil cap. Your saw will be fine.

I have seen display models slightly discounted before.

In the future, be prepared to be more assertive. You are the customer. You can always say "I'm going to think about it." and walk away. On small purchases or large.

There is nothing wrong with the dealer wanting to rotate his inventory, either.

Anyway, Congrats on your NEW SAW! I, for one, think you chose wisely as far as models go.

First sign of problem, to me, is the "back room" bit. Do it in front of me, or keep it. It's not rocket surgery. :rolleyes:

But then, after some kid gouges it back there, to pass it off on you? Unsat, so eat it. Now bring out one in the box, where I can keep an eye on it.

Or walk.

I would have asked for a 20% discount and settled for 10. Or new saw from back. If they refused, walk. Just say "I can get one somewhere else, they made plenty." If the dealer has no interest in pleasing you, you need to walk anyway.

Live a positive life!

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. If you bought it to use as a chainsaw, and not to display in a mahogany case, the entire saw should be scuffed and dirty very soon. The customer service sucked, but a marked up oil cap? Like buying an axe and finding a paint chip. Now, if you purchased the saw to polish it and display it, you would need a new oil cap to properly do that.
image.jpg

I asked for the display model when I got my 545 but I watched them put it together out of the box, I was the first and last to touch in while on display my oil cap was very tight first time opening but was hand doable with the flippy caps.

I would go to dealer explain situation. "Bought this 555 last week or whenever went home looked at cap and saw this (show them)." See what they say... ask if they could possibly hook you up with a new cap. If they cant or refuse go elsewhere.

So it sat on the shelf, so what? Ain't like it was run. That hang up makes no sense at all to me. Five minutes of use and anyone else's finger prints are covered in dirt. Now the cap is a different issue - but you should have caught it while you were there though, then there was no argument they did it.

I agree with HuskStihl, its a tool they get dirty and scratched up they aren't meant to sit on a shelf and look pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with HuskStihl, its a tool they get dirty and scratched up they aren't meant to sit on a shelf and look pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but I'm the one that wants to get um dirty and scratched up.

I don't need a dealer or a bunch of looky-loos to do that for me.

I'd go back to the dealer and talk to the salesman who sold me the saw. I ask him in a calm and soothing voice, to replace the saw.
If he refused, I'd light him on fire.

Back