It's go time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got stung Saturday by one yellow jacket on my middle finger. I guess I moved quick enough to get away from the reinforcements. Actually that is exactly why Georgia Tech uses yellow jackets as their team name / mascot. You want your team name to strike fear in the hearts of your opponents. That also explains the use of Indian tribes and Wolverines, etc. That or to honor something local, such as cardinals, orioles, dodgers. As an alumnus of a major midwestern university with a native american mascot, I am looking forward to the day when Trojans and Spartans get rehabilitated too and can't be used.

I got stung unplugging the battery charger from the tractor. I had set it down on the piece of plywood their nest was under; I may have shifted the plywood some blocking some of their access. That really bothers them. I got the tractor out, but waited a while before going back with a long stick to move the charger and extension cord. They were upset. I also moved the plywood so I could see where the hole was, and so they could calm down. When evening came, I put gasoline in a soda bottle, about 16 ounce, and inverted it into their hole and left it until the next day. No sign of activity. That is what I always heard to do with them.

I just got stung Saturday by one yellow jacket on my middle finger. I guess I moved quick enough to get away from the reinforcements. Actually that is exactly why Georgia Tech uses yellow jackets as their team name / mascot. You want your team name to strike fear in the hearts of your opponents. That also explains the use of Indian tribes and Wolverines, etc. That or to honor something local, such as cardinals, orioles, dodgers. As an alumnus of a major midwestern university with a native american mascot, I am looking forward to the day when Trojans and Spartans get rehabilitated too and can't be used.

I got stung unplugging the battery charger from the tractor. I had set it down on the piece of plywood their nest was under; I may have shifted the plywood some blocking some of their access. That really bothers them. I got the tractor out, but waited a while before going back with a long stick to move the charger and extension cord. They were upset. I also moved the plywood so I could see where the hole was, and so they could calm down. When evening came, I put gasoline in a soda bottle, about 16 ounce, and inverted it into their hole and left it until the next day. No sign of activity. That is what I always heard to do with them.
That's the correct killing technique, similar to what I posted above. You have to use petroleum of some sort and let it sit for a day or so. The scouts will still try to come back to the hole for about a week, but they eventually give up if you knocked out the rest. Believe me, these nests can contain thousands of bees.

I forget where I learned about soapy spray, but it works where you can not use wasp sprays, like houses with vinyl siding. It worked well today when I went back out. The bees followed the stream back to me, and I would mist myself to keep them from landing.
Beasts -- yes, that's what you call them after you've been stung by them a few times. Unlike honey bees, one yellow jacket can sting you several times and then fly away.

Today I brought in another truckload of ash rounds, starting at 7 am. Temperature was rising 5 degrees per hour. By 10 am it was approaching 90 F and I gave up the ship after unloading. Thursday is supposed to be better after a couple of thunderstorms move through.

I tried noodle cutting a few big rounds in half and the bar got to hot that the chain locked up. Bar oil just plain broke down. So, I took the saw to the shop and flushed it all out, cleaned and dressed the bar and chain, and manually oiled and sharpened the chain. I'll try again Thursday. There might still be blockage in the bar oil tank somewhere. Oil is being used up but not making it to the bar groove. I hate gremlins like that.

Got an early start.

48a2841069e130628f8434f3f89c366c.jpg

But the beetles have beat me to it.

38392e618f7321a1dcd1547fc250dc76.jpg

7a84dfa44f71bf04d4edc9866d03a8f0.jpg

Lots of larvae, healthy and on the move.

Sent from a field

Man, those things love the Shagbark!

Making progress. Had a couple of family emergencies last week so I only got a couple totes split last night. Went back to using the trailer to free the tractor up to mow. 4 loads split today.

b00d12cf2335a17b919bc4fd4c0b4695.jpg

Next process improvement will be building a ramp off the table and over whatever I'm splitting into so I don't have to throw wood. Think short conveyor but without the belt.

Sent from a field

So far only a lazy trailer load today. It did include this nice chunk of red oak.

f465b3e665593ac6358e793844e357a4.jpg

Time to cool off.

8b7f99ddf79c71fb5304c92c320fabb0.jpg

Sent from a field
That's how I like to end my firewood days too. Hopefully there's some kind of adult beverage in your hand.

That's how I like to end my firewood days too. Hopefully there's some kind of adult beverage in your hand.

Does Gatorade or Iced Tea count? Never been one much for alcohol.

Just finished mowing the grass, getting a bite to eat and then hoping to get 1 more trailer load in this evening.

Then another dip. It got up to 88 yesterday. Left the cover off last night and its down to 84.

A guy asked me yesterday how often I cut wood for firewood. I said, "Almost year round. When it's really hot or sub-zero temperature I slow down. I'm not doing this for big money. Money is not the motive. Good exercise is."

He's 70 pounds overweight, has flat feet, can only walk with a shuffle, and ten years younger than I am. He said, "Sorry, but work is a four-letter word in my book. I'm done with that."

Then he walked over to his truck. I have never seen his truck loaded with anything but junk. Tomorrow morning is go-time for me, but it never will be go-time for him.

I would much prefer to do this when its 40 or under. I prefer to work in a Tshirt and not sweat. Its been pleasant this past week and through this weekend. I got a fair amount done. Could have done more, but chose to not kill myself.

I do share your sentiment... and no one else around me understands... Not the kids, not the wife, not the neighbors (although they appreciate it when I bring them wood. Just today I had one of my neighbors come over to "steal" some wood for their camping trip this week. I said "the good stuff is under the lean too").... Its therapy. Its one of the few things that require almost no thought, almost no planning... And the end result is tangible and satisfying.

Waiting for the sun the break the horizon to go clean things up, took a few pics.

Here's where I have been pulling logs from. They were stacked to the ends of the pipes so you can see how many I've gone through.

4fb666d9664e77256f70ff5e32ed5338.jpg

Made it to my property corner. I measured and it's just over 4 cords done since I started last weekend.

95153756aa5e9f5e6e17e32458c8ddcd.jpg

I'm going to turn east here and head to my next corner you can see in the distance marked by the piece of pvc pipe.

484cce61bee12c523df824f7dbc8ef65.jpg

Sent from a field

I would much prefer to do this when its 40 or under. I prefer to work in a Tshirt and not sweat. Its been pleasant this past week and through this weekend. I got a fair amount done. Could have done more, but chose to not kill myself.

I do share your sentiment... and no one else around me understands... Not the kids, not the wife, not the neighbors (although they appreciate it when I bring them wood. Just today I had one of my neighbors come over to "steal" some wood for their camping trip this week. I said "the good stuff is under the lean too").... Its therapy. Its one of the few things that require almost no thought, almost no planning... And the end result is tangible and satisfying.
Tomorrow I intend to split and stack some good hardwood in the morning, maybe a truckload. My splitter needs some repairs and TLC. Then in the hotter afternoon, I will continue to sharpen chains and try to salvage some chains that a tree trimmer brought in that look like I can save from the landfill -- dull, rusted, etc. I enjoy doing that also, and, of course, I sell new chain loops now and then. All of this is therapy for me as well -- "tangible and satisfying."

Ive been hoping to get a trailer load split every night. Starting work this morning with 38 hours in already and its been quite warm and humid. Temps are dropping today and the next week looks really nice. Hopefully Ill find the energy to get some work done.

Tomorrow I'm buck cutting some 20" dia. ash that a logger dropped off. He can't sell it for pallet making at the sawmill because of the EAB scare. I've checked it carefully. No sign of the little green "monsters". All solid and ready to process.

Today was eventful. I fixed two saws that friends own and got a new one ready for myself -- an Echo CS-670. What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be! I mounted a 25" bar on it and I think it will run with a Stihl MS440. I've always wanted a saw with power somewhere between my MS361 and 046 Mag. It's got it and the price was perfect -- three Benjamins delivered. About a hundred bundles should cover it.

Slowly but surely. It's been darn humid the past week again and I can't stand working in the humidity.

Don't ya hate it when ya cut yourself and don't know how or when it happened?

2285509d3af5ad219af226a5c0008d64.jpg

Found a piece of shagbark that gave the super split a work out. Each pic is after a hit. There was a branch on the other side of this as well. Decent grain going everywhere but straight.

0c0ad52282bf7dc55cc4f69a2333201b.jpg
e2b7765140ab01e705e6345f6a7441e9.jpg
9670282a794a9838493e0833ead2ca9f.jpg
cd19dbab698b115a581fb0bdc12bdec9.jpg
b409aa62822d32f2e400b2809982a7ef.jpg
88db248875b13a093ae90d01a51cb1a1.jpg

Got a decent trailer load cut and split this morning. Leaving in a bit to pick up the boy from band camp and watch what they've been working on all week. Then maybe another trailer load this afternoon.

Sent from a field

Latest posts

Back