Jred 590 - Rebuild needed can't find parts????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Newbie here,

My dad's Jred 590 is low on compression. It needs a top end rebuild, but my dealer tells me there are no parts available....... It was a good cutting saw, and its always handy to have a second one around. Does anyone know where I could find parts?

Just send me the Ole carcass and forget all about it. :hmm3grin2orange: :jester: :hmm3grin2orange:
and then go buy a saw you can find parts for. :clap:

Forgot my manners WELCOME!

Last edited:
You can use a Husky 55 cylinder and be pretty close. Everything will just bolt on or atleast it did for me.

Fred

Since the 590 was a Partner design, how can the 55 fit? Husky didn't use the Partner design, did they? Also, would the Partner 5000 be the same as the Jonsered 590? I know the PArtner 500 is the same as the Jonsered 490. Is there anything I can switch out on the 490 in the Husky line?

Newbie here,

My dad's Jred 590 is low on compression. It needs a top end rebuild, but my dealer tells me there are no parts available....... It was a good cutting saw, and its always handy to have a second one around. Does anyone know where I could find parts?

How bad is the piston/cylinder? Parts are the same for the Partner 5000, and will work for your saw, as others have mentioned. I don't think the Husky 55 jug will fit correctly but if others have made it work than who am I to say. Maybe a jug for a JRed 490 will work as well but not positive. SawTroll will have the info.

You can always get just a piston ring, and hope that helps as a last resort.

Last edited:
Check with Tilton Equipment as they may have or be able to get top end parts for the 590 although they will be pricey.

The crank stroke and possible crankshaft itself is the same for the Jonsered 490, 590, Partner 500, 5000, 5000 Plus, Hjusky 50, 51, and 55. Bore of the 490, 500, and 5000 and 50 is 44mm, the 590 and 51 is 45mm while the 55 is 46mm. Later Husky 50's were 45 mm as well. All these cylinders with the correct piston are interchangeble except for one thing that I'm aware of.......the ID of the crankcase and OD of the bottom of the cylinder is larger on the Husky 55 and 51 than the Partner 500, 5000 and Jon 490........I do not know if the 590 crankcase is the larger size or not although it could be modified by opening up if required to allow bolt on of the larger bore Husky 55 top end. Also note that the 490, 590, and 5000 Plus are closed port cylinder design where most all the rest are open port design. Hope this helps.

HAHAHAHA

I saw you at the bottom of the page when I went to reply earlier. Thanks for the heavy lifting and a great response.

You didn't add some 55 cylinders are closed port. I think Freak figured out which ones, but I don't remember. I sent the 590 cylinder I had to Canada and put the 55 cylinder and clutch on my 590. They needed it more than I did. ;)

Fred

If it is a 55 with a decomp, non rancher it is closed port saw. This piston will work with yours but the rancher piston will not work by itself. I would trade a Stock or Modded Mahle top end P&C for the cylinder you have depending on the condition. What gapulper said is your only concern. the od of the jug that slides down into the case will not take a 46mm (aftermarket or Rancher) with out some work the 44 and 45mm jugs will fit and I don't think you lose any power because they have a smaller combustion chamber.

Hey David, Picture this one coming off a Partner 500. It is a open port with 45mm and has the very small combustion chamber of the Partner 5000 plus.
Never seen the 45mm open with a small cc like this one. :D usually only monster cc on the open ones.

I've never seen a 45mm on any partner. but the 44mm open port jugs from a 500 usually have nice tight chambers. some of the 51's had a nice looking 45mm but I think they were mostly Gilardoni.

I am pretty sure at one time it must have gotten a new topend replacement David. Because I haven't seen a 45mm on a Partner 500 or 5000 from the factory yet either.

It does have some strange signature markings on the cylinder etc, that I cant match up to any maker yet.

If you think the 500 cc is tight, you ought to see this one it is just like a 5000 cc. Like comparing a nickle for the 500 cc and a dime for the 5000 cc.

If it is a 55 with a decomp, non rancher it is closed port saw. This piston will work with yours but the rancher piston will not work by itself. I would trade a Stock or Modded Mahle top end P&C for the cylinder you have depending on the condition. What gapulper said is your only concern. the od of the jug that slides down into the case will not take a 46mm (aftermarket or Rancher) with out some work the 44 and 45mm jugs will fit and I don't think you lose any power because they have a smaller combustion chamber.

It actual may have been a 51 cylinder someone put on the 55 before I got it.

If you were talking to me about the trade.... I would take a GOOD 5000/490 cylinder and piston for the 55 closed port cylinder and piston.

Fred

Hey David, check out how new this cylinder is, found it right here in Ohio at a closed saw shop. Wish the pic showed the crosshatching for you.
Copyofchainsaw008.jpg

Copyofchainsaw007.jpg

Parts coming.... yahoo!

I've got a 490 P&C thats in great shape, a new ring, and bottom gasket..... should be here in about a week.

This will be my first rebuild of a saw.... I did a few motocrossers when I was a teenager.

I'll take lots of pics and post as I go...

I plan on moding the muffler as well.

Q: will the 590 muffler bolt onto the 490 cylinder? I hope so.

Since the 590 was a Partner design, how can the 55 fit? Husky didn't use the Partner design, did they? Also, would the Partner 5000 be the same as the Jonsered 590? I know the PArtner 500 is the same as the Jonsered 490. Is there anything I can switch out on the 490 in the Husky line?

The 590, 55, 490, 50, 51, 2051, 2055, 2054, P540, P543 and a lot of other saws are based on the P5000/P500 - and there has been lots of different engines, even when they had the same displacement, power output varied quite a lot (at least on paper). Several other differenses as well.

The 2055 has the best engine on paper, then the 2051 and the 590, all Jonsereds.

Last edited:
Differences between 590 / 490

SawTroll...

On paper what is the difference between the 590 and 490?

Am I going to be disappointed that I got the 490 top end?

I asked quite a few people what the differences were, besides being 1mm smaller bore (1.8 cc's smaller) what other differences are there between the 590 and 490?

SawTroll...

On paper what is the difference between the 590 and 490?

Am I going to be disappointed that I got the 490 top end?

I asked quite a few people what the differences were, besides being 1mm smaller bore (1.8 cc's smaller) what other differences are there between the 590 and 490?

None that I know of (I don't really know - LOL) - the cc difference should be more like 2.1cc, btw......

Last edited:
Back