Just How Dangerous Is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After pondering this for a couple of days, I'm thinking some woodpeckers could take care of it. Or, if you have water nearby, bring in a couple of beavers. My friend, the banjo player is convinced that beavers can directionally fall trees. I think beavers are complete failures because they work in fragile riparian areas.

I hate people making fun of ideas they have never tried. A million people will give all kinds of advice but haven't actually cut down any simlar trees. (I have done so). At least my idea has no drawbacks and is quite safe. (And if anyone is suggesting cutting into steel with a chainsaw...well, if you have that little control over your chainsaw, leave the tree falling to others).

Actually, I have used metal falling wedges. Not splitting wedges, they're tapered all wrong, but regular metal falling wedges. Big ugly ones. When I started in the woods that was all we had. Plastics were available but none of the old timers trusted them...they shattered and they broke. I worked with an old timer...we used steel.

When plastic wedges improved I started using them. I wouldn't put a metal wedge in a tree if I had any choice at all. Maybe I'd use one in a big cedar or Redwood where I needed a big paddle wedge to keep it from sinking into the wood but I can usually just put more plastic ones in.

If you want to do it, you go right ahead. I wouldn't want to be anywhere around you but I sure wouldn't want to stand in the way of a learning experience for you, either You obviously need a few of those. More than a few, probably. Good luck.

hero-worship-the-pedigree-of-batman-year-one-20110708060307431.jpg

You don't use metal falling wedges all the time. You use them in special cases (I.e. where you need exceptional force yet lack the power of a skidder to pull the tree down).

You don't use metal falling wedges all the time. You use them in special cases (I.e. where you need exceptional force yet lack the power of a skidder to pull the tree down).

You realize you're arguing with a professional logger (Gologit) who's likely got as many years experience in the woods as you do breathing, right?

I'd give up on this theory if I was in your shoes.

Reminds me of a Beavis & Buthead episode where the old dude with yellow eyes hires them to top out a tree and the tree falls on the house. They go up to the guy and tell him something like uh uh... We gotta charge you extra.... Yeah yeah we pruned the house too!
Looks like the tree falling on the house would be blessing. :dizzy:

Can you push it over with a bucket loader or backhoe? Or use a bucket to get a cable on it as high as possible and pull it over?

Home Depot is running a special on liquid nails, why not glue it up and collect a few discarded Christmas trees from the side of the road and completely rebuild that tree from the ground up, could call it yard art then...might even be able to get a government grant to fund it, heck put some algae on there and a few solar panels and you could make millions on the thing, maybe top it with an anti gun slogan and get even more money!

You realize you're arguing with a professional logger (Gologit) who's likely got as many years experience in the woods as you do breathing, right?

Again with the premature assumptions. I am a proffesional logger of 10+ years myself.

I'm telling the OP that he (or the home owner) that he may wish to attept to wedge that tree down. Plastic wedges are strong now adays (true) and I carry plastic (and not steel) wedges with me every day. However, if you hit plastic wedges with a 6 lbs maul, they will break or become damaged. If you have some super strong plastic wedges where you cut wood, more power too you.

I don't know where the stuff about cutting into the steel with your chainsaw comes from. Only an idiot would do that.

If steel/aluminum wedges didn't have a useful application, you wouldn't see them sold just about everywhere that sells plastic wedges.

Again with the premature assumptions. I am a proffesional logger of 10+ years myself.

I'm telling the OP that he (or the home owner) that he may wish to attept to wedge that tree down. Plastic wedges are strong now adays (true) and I carry plastic (and not steel) wedges with me every day. However, if you hit plastic wedges with a 6 lbs maul, they will break or become damaged. If you have some super strong plastic wedges where you cut wood, more power too you.

I don't know where the stuff about cutting into the steel with your chainsaw comes from. Only an idiot would do that.

If steel/aluminum wedges didn't have a useful application, you wouldn't see them sold just about everywhere that sells plastic wedges.

I would rather hit a plastic wedge on purpose with my chain than a metal one on accident.:bang:

:popcorn:

Andy

Latest posts

Back