Know anything about Greenwood OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsonoma

Reaction score
Getting close to purchasing an OWB. Thought I was settled on a Central.
Someone told me to check out Greenwood brand with "gasification process".
Looks like a newer company. I do not want to be a guinea pig though.

Any info would be helpful

I have a Central Boiler 5036 and am very happy with it. I can burn green wood as well as seasoned wood. The green wood doesn't burn quite as well but if that's all ya got! :chainsaw: To my understanding the gassification units burn considerably less wood but cost quite a bit more and need very dry very seasoned wood to function properly. CB has a gassification unit out but I've heard some people aren't happy with the performance.

I would be carefull about being a crash test dummy for a new owb company, Especially on a unit that is a gasification. I would stick with a well known brand like Central Boiler but I have heard that their gasification unit has some issues too.

Michigan law will require all owb's sold in 2010 to be a EPA approved Gasification unit. If you want to get a regular unit you better get one this year.

I have a Central Boiler 6048 and am really happy with it.

Good Luck.

Im not 100% on this,but greenwood has had gasification boilers out before CB IIRC.They also had indoor add on units,as well.So they should have the gasification part and water transfer down,the OWB part of it, i dont know.I looked at them briefly,they looked well made.CB has been in the OWB business a while,couldnt go wrong there.

I seen these vids,so ill pass them along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFxvFqGBBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jm7_h6HZF0

Yep they've been around for a while (20 yrs) and are impressive units. They have an outdoor series called Aspen series that are also high eff models.

Michigan law will require all owb's sold in 2010 to be a EPA approved Gasification unit. If you want to get a regular unit you better get one this year.

Please show me the EPA fact's on this.

You won't be the test monkey. Greenwood has been around along time.

I bought a Greenwood 200 indoor model this year and it is unbelievable I love it even though I already had all of my wood split for the year which is not what they recommend it still burns very well and I am heating my entire house plus hot water and have burned about the same as my old free standing wood stove that only warmed about half the house.

The distributor I bought my stove from switched from a normal OWB to the Greenwood Aspen this year and expected to cut his wood usage down from 30 pulp cord to 15 with the Aspen unit. He is heating 1 old farm house that his son lives in, his house which is about 1500sqft. Plus their Pole Barn.

I should call him to see if he is getting his expected results.

You won't be the test monkey. Greenwood has been around along time.

I bought a Greenwood 200 indoor model this year and it is unbelievable I love it even though I already had all of my wood split for the year which is not what they recommend it still burns very well and I am heating my entire house plus hot water and have burned about the same as my old free standing wood stove that only warmed about half the house.

The distributor I bought my stove from switched from a normal OWB to the Greenwood Aspen this year and expected to cut his wood usage down from 30 pulp cord to 15 with the Aspen unit. He is heating 1 old farm house that his son lives in, his house which is about 1500sqft. Plus their Pole Barn.

I should call him to see if he is getting his expected results.

Duane,how much did the 200 run you? How many sq ft are you heating with it? Ive heard nothing but good about Greenwood's products.

The unit alone was a little under $9000 which I know is alot of money compared to other units but I have always been willing to pay more for quality and efficiency in other words i hate buying JUNK!!!! And from the monent I saw the Greenwood product I was sold.

I am heating about 3000sqft. Including my garage but I am planing on building another detached garage with infloor heat and adding a zone for the basement eventually that is why I went with the 200 instead.

Plus I have 4 kids and a wife that love hot water and create alot of dirty clothes.

And I nearly eliminated a 3 to 4 grand a year Propane bill so the pay back is there pretty quick.

Maldeney, One of my friends and also a member here put one in this winter. It looks to be a well made unit. It is one heavy SOB, lined with cast refractory. Maybe he will chime in shortly or PM him, but he seems to be happy with his and from what I've seen it uses about a level bed load a week +/-. He could give you specifics though.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back