Lifespan of a file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coke, active ingredient is the phosphoric acid dissolves certain metals

storing files, since they are both hard metals they can wear on each other generally they say keep em seperated :rolleyes:

keep em separate and clean

Most distributors / manufacturers told me the designed life for a file is enough to keep a loop sharpened for its useful life. The only problem with this "thumbrule " is they don't know the size of the loop !
Some told me 16 inch and others can't remember.
Then others told me they pack files in two or 3 packs for one loop. Again they don't know what size loop or a standard number of cutters for a file lifetime usefullness.

I am familiar with a few 1000's of dozens of files in the recent past here are some observations.

The plastic material files holders seem the best for packaging and storing.

Seen a couple of leather scabboards to hold a file but don't know if they are commercially manufactured

Waxed paper and cardboard are okay but with time the paper dust gets on the file and long term there is a slight dulling with a file sitting in them for years. Any moisture tends to get absorbed by the paper and stays in contact with the file. RUSTED !

Like the PVC storage idea and see people using it. It is white , inexpensive to make and easy to see if you drop it in the bush unless it is snowy then just use some of the universal orange spray paint and spray some on so to see it in the snow.

Anybody out there cut PVC with a string?

Coca-cola .. McGiver's chrome bumper shine solution is an interesting idea to freshen an edge but there is better solutions out there.

You can bring a file "back to life" with a acid based chemical similar to those used in chem etching. To buy it specifically for filing is expensive $10-20 a quart. Some industrial tile grout cleaning agents work okay to freshen the file, $10 a gallon.

And to leave an out for this conversation. Filing is considered an art work to many here and they are very particular about the feel when getting an edge on a tooth. So you will have to gain a feel on when a file is "dull" to your liking or rather disliking.

What did somebody on this site say once. Some coworker was admiring how well his saw cut and asked to sharpen a loop for him and show him how.
Pro filer said he couldn't help him cause he didn't want to dull his file !

The question reminds me of the commercial when the boy walks up to a "wise" owl asking how long it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop ! One . two .. three ... crunch !

Found allot of information on this subject and technology on collector knife / sword sharpening websites since we are talking about a series of blades on a chain.

Hope this helps.

Emergency Storage ideas

Some people use the cheap rubber gloves and store the file in old used ones. The gloves disentigrate after a while in atmosphere unless you are using nitrile type.

Some guys keep files in an old glove, cloth but preferably a leather glove.

I use an old "wrench roll" put a file in each sleeve, roll it up.

My square filing files are kept seperate in wrap, but my round files are just tossed in a box, left on the backhoe, stuck in a log...etc...at less than a buck each if they last a day or two...good enough for me...

Gypo, I'm confused, what forum does DB belong in? With his multiple personalities he could fill up the whole ArboristSite! Doug of all, master of none! Happy New Year, John, Dennis

i have the good ones from Marcel but am almost out now
boy you are right on files now , i have seen some pretty bad files lately. the corner is quite bad on them .
it is nice when you use a good file , the corner comes out prefect alot easier
i donot mind the 6 side file for cutting in the bush
it is no good for a race chain

chisel files

Ed:

Im confused. One is basically flat and the other basically triangular but both have six cutting surfaces. Which one do you use for your racing chain and why is the other only good for you bush chains?

Frank

Crofter, It really just comes down to preference. Checking the edge of your file is also important. You want a straight edge to make the proper corner in the tooth. The triangle type are thin and I always seem to break them, especially if I put them in my back pocket. I just never liked them or the angles they give your tooth. I file with a 6" goofy in the bush, but prefer a double beveled chisel file or a150 Oberg double ender for competion. Knowing where to put the file in the tooth and using it properly is what's really important, not the file. It helps to feel good about how the file feels though! Dennis

I find that I dont get very long file life with the chisel bit files but I probably dont get good file pressure especially on the side I do with the left hand. Dennis do you file right out on the tip when you file on the saw?

Frank

Crofter, No, the first 1/2 of the bar. Filing with your saw resting on a log sometimes is not very steady, but you just have to get the saw to sit still and flat. If your filing way out on the end of the bar it moves around to much. I will grab a small stick and put it behind the tooth I'm filing, to steady the tooth. Some guys put a wedge on the bottom of the bar in between the chain and bar, to tighten the chain up. This helps steady up the tooth for filing. If my chain is rocked to bad I just change it. Times money, so do what's fastest. You can fix your bad chains after work! Dennis

Rocky: I think you got it right. It sure takes me a lot longer to file and you wouldnt be using it on dirty wood.
I think though that you would have to do a pretty shabby job of square filing to be only 10% faster than round filed. If you are putting on a performance the difference is pretty impressive. Thats all I use it for-- showing off! I think the fellow with one chain and a file would cut more stovewood in a day roundfiling than squarefiling. I know I could. Now if you want to put a slight wager on your round filed chain against my square, for a couple of timed cuts, your on.

Frank

I think that once you get used to it you can file either way at about the same speed. I recently bought a CS36 JD with the LP chain.Its been years since I have round filed and it is taking me longer than it does sq. filing on my bigger saws. But, I will only square file when the chain is wood dull and never when it is in bad shape. Several ground chains are always nearby.
In the soft wood that I always cut (cept for a little firewood) there is no comparison between round and sq. But then maybe I just dont know how to round file.:D

John

Originally posted by John Ellison
I think that once you get used to it you can file either way at about the same speed. there is no comparison between round and sq. But then maybe I just dont know how to round file.:D

John, I sure would like to watch you file. Maybe I am being too fussy, but i have never watched anyone else file. Just what I have picked up here on AS. I can make it work but it takes a lot more light and a lot more time!

Frank

If you are only getting 10% faster with the square filed chain go back and file it again because you missed something when done right it is like night and day

I think everybody comes up with different little quirks or positions that work for them. With larger saws and longer bars I used to lay the bar across my chaps( kneeling) and the power head away from me. Between the weight and long bar it seemed to sit pretty still.Lately I use a stump vise because with a short bar there was to much flopping around. But Im no expert, basically I just keep the grinder angles and after a few filings will regrind. If I didnt have a grinder to fall back on when a chain gets wrecked it would take me a good while to get it straightened out.

John

Squirrel, Have you ever used square ground or filed chisel chain? I think not! Your round file chain compared to my square ground would be a joke! And when I rock my chain I change it in less time it takes you to touch up yours. I wouldn't hire you by the hour to cut my gr???! Once again you have proved to me you don't know what your talking about! At least try something before you give us a half ???ed opinion. Dennis

Usually a pro faller carries enough chains with them in the brush that they don't file out in the field. I'm with Dennis C, I grind for work and file for play. A properly filed chain will outcut a ground chain ( Round chisel or square ), just slightly. A ground chain will hold its edge longer. As for the benefit of using square over round filed chain- that 10-20% extra cutting speed makes a BIG difference when you have to fall and buck 100 trees a day or straight fall 250 trees a day. Or in the big wood you have to cut 40mmbf/day. I've never met a timber faller worth his salt using round filed chain in the brush. :p

Latest posts

Back