Lightweight Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A laminate 20" is a great bar for weight reduction and cost, if you're making a lot of bore cuts/blowing the tips out get something with a replaceable tip, but remember now you've added weight to the tip, which is the most crucial point to me. That being said it's a 20" on a heavy saw, just don't fill it up all the way, run skip chain, lots of ways to shave a little weight. Mill a couple thousandths off the bar if you must, whatever, as I said were talking about a 20 on a heavy saw.
Most importantly if your only running a 20 you're obviously not a professional:laughing:.
What's that make you @Leeroy :laugh:.
I resemble that remark!

Gas station coffee is usually horrible, so I can understand needing to sweeten that.

I try to take a thermos with me so between the thermos and travel mug I have 8 cups with.

I like to wait till coffee is cool then drink it all. More caffeine at once.

Only fresh milled coffee beans for me thanks.

For a homeowner that really doesn't matter. Clearly not a professional if running a 20" bar on a 460. Comes down to does the owner want a true light weight bar or a bar that's reduced in weight and will last slightly longer.

Also they are they same price. $75 each.
That's a mighty big brush to paint with! I will average 1.5 million ft a year and 99% of that timber is cut with a 20" bar. Around here that's enough to be in the top 3 loggers at any mill Ive ever hauled to. I know because they used to give trinkets away at Christmas to the top logging crews that hauled to them.

Couldn't be that difficult to get what you want off ebay, if the man are not able to serve you that's he's problem.

That is a definite loss to the chainsaw community.

Archerplus sells on Ebay for prices comparable to his and they ship from Minnesota. I chose to buy from Redbull660 because I have met him and he is a good guy on here. But if you need a Tsumura bar Archer is probably now the place to go.

Get rid of that Hazlenut creamer and we'll talk!
Gotta love those little kid shoes riding the shopping cart!! LOL. Brings back so many good memories.

To answer the question:
I'm looking for a good deal on a Stihl or Tsumura lightweight bar.
If I don't find a good deal I will perforate one of my Stihl bars.

Just had major surgery, not gonna be in the shop for a week or two.

Hope you get well soon :drinkingcoffee:.
If price is one of the big considerations I'd be looking at the tsumura as they are much cheaper. Bummer Julian isn't selling them anymore.
So did you settle on a 28" now, 050 or 063.
That's my boy, those are his heelys, you should get some :).
https://heelys.com

That's terrible news that Julian is no longer selling Tsumura bars.....guess I'm glad I got the ones I did, but I had a couple more I was going to grab eventually...

Hopefully things get back on track for him.

PP/Ebay are trash for sellers now....WAY too buyer centric. That's coming from someone that has never sold a damn thing on Ebay and payed out way more money on PP than I have taken in.

I started a thread years ago, about making my own light bars. Had access to a water jet and a laser cutter. In the end, it just wasn't worth the hassle. Had to remove the sprocket tip, so the bearings didn't get garnet and cutting debris it in, from the water jet. Used Devcon putty in one and carbon fiber cutouts in another. Was WAY too much work, and in the end, the mass marketed stuff was better anyway. I used to have all kinds of time on my hands...I now have a wife and a 1 yr old. What is spare time?

Today, I run primarily Tsumura L&T bars. I got mine from eBay...its quick and easy. Their newer bars are lighter than their older "light" bars, but in some cases, still not quite as light as a Stihl ES Light. The Stihl bars are too dang expensive, and nobody stocks them around here. My local dealer wants $130+tx for a 20" ES Light. I got my 20" Tsumura for $80 shipped. I do run a 16" 3005 mount Picco Stihl E Light on my 241 though...now that is a light bar...under 16oz.

Personally I’ve never been bothered by the weight of bars 20” or less. The weight is close enough to the saw that it doesn’t feel unwieldy or awkward. On a 32” bar however the difference is night and day. For anything from 24-36” I definitely want a lightweight bar. Longer than 36” and I figure it’s going to be used almost exclusively for milling anyway and may as well be more tough than light.

Latest posts

Back