List of Pro Saw Models - References

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Acres site shows all Poulans are not created equal. History has been varied with the brand.

I would not discount the saw because of the green color and the Poulan name. I don't know much about saws, so help me. There are no fewer than five separate companies or holding companies associated with the brand throughout history, Electrolux maybe being the worst. Would that saw be in the POULAN/WEED EATER section, same as the 2800? If so, may be a good saw. I think the old original and first Weedeater engines were Echo-made, or I think I remember that once from an Echo dealer.

Does it qualify? Not sure.

What features does one look for to make a saw a "pro"

If that flat head and split metal case ain't enough, what about a particular saw makes it good or bad or "pro"?

I owned a cheap model Husqvarna as one of my first chainsaws before my disposable Poulan...don't even remember the model, maybe a 1990s model? 135? It was almost all plastic and would not run. Wow, what a POS. I disposed of it.

That was part of what drove me to try to understand what makes a good saw.

I would argue that the transfer ports can be pro or not. Generally speaking, pro saws have closed transfer ports...non pro saws have open transfers. Just another way to classify whether a mag-case saw is "pro."

Thank you. I'll have to research this a bit. I don't know what that means yet.

Thank you. I'll have to research this a bit. I don't know what that means yet.
First picture depicts open transfers that you'd find in a non-pro saw:

20220718_182642.jpg.38d6cbb7402bca53926813381d2e69de.jpg

Closed transfers, there is a lower transfer and upper transfer window:
20220920_151507.jpg.9d9f68bc4f42635e27f64302dd7f8470.jpg

First picture depicts open transfers that you'd find in a non-pro saw:

20220718_182642.jpg.38d6cbb7402bca53926813381d2e69de.jpg

Closed transfers, there is a lower transfer and upper transfer window:
20220920_151507.jpg.9d9f68bc4f42635e27f64302dd7f8470.jpg

Thank you.

So, manufacturing is cheaper and easier to mill or cast in a continuous channel, but more expensive to mill or etch in a closed transfer into the cylinder head?

Closed transfer keeps fresh charge from mixing so much with exhaust?

Thank you.

So, manufacturing is cheaper and easier to mill or cast in a continuous channel, but more expensive to mill or etch in a closed transfer into the cylinder head?

Closed transfer keeps fresh charge from mixing so much with exhaust?
Yeah, the open transfers are easier to manufacture. The closed ports maintain better velocity and do a better job of "aiming" the charge.

The green POS "Poo Lahn" P3314...is also legendary. Ha Ha.
I am ashamed to admit I owned one, a $50 Craigslist purchase when I first became a homeowner with a few limbs to trim. I eventually put it where it belonged - in the garbage. That saw should go into file 13 before it comes out of the original packaging. It vibrated like a massage table, and oo the plastic levers for the choke.
That was my inspiration to create the pro saws list.

That saw doesn't even rate listing on the Acres' Chain Saw Collectors site, yet the Wild Thaang is there!

Reed valves saws are off the table I guess?

I don't know much about reed valve saws, and saws in general, really. There aren't any of those reed valve saws made anymore, are there? I am not sure the average shopper these days will be interested in those, but if you provide a few model numbers I could research those and some to the list, if those are quality "pro" saws.

I don't know much about reed valve saws, and saws in general, really. There aren't any of those reed valve saws made anymore, are there? I am not sure the average shopper these days will be interested in those, but if you provide a few model numbers I could research those and some to the list, if those are quality "pro" saws.
Homelite XL-12, xl925, Super1050a. All the Remington and early Poulan saws.

Back