List of Pro Saw Models - References

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just browsing the list.
First thanks for taking the time to put that together. Been looking for it for a long time.
Second can I make some recommendations or references, add or subtract so to speak.
You likely have these but just not added yet.
HUSQVARNA
340, 40, 44 are not a pro model, 365 is a special not a xp, although if a special or se is a pro the 444, 268.
357, 272, 262, 266, 242, 281, 298, 154, 162, 385, 394, 362.

If you were not looking for help I apologize.
Cheers

Just browsing the list.
First thanks for taking the time to put that together. Been looking for it for a long time.
Second can I make some recommendations or references, add or subtract so to speak.
HUSQVARNA
340, 40, 44 are not a pro model, 365 is a special not a xp, although if a special or se is a pro the 444, 268.

Cheers

I DO WANT the HELP and tips.

The 340, 40, and 44 will require more research. I do not want any weak saws on the list.

The 365 is on the website currently as pro
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/365x-torq/
...will keep "sharpening the saw" so to speak on this list.

Just browsing the list.
HUSQVARNA

Cheers
Yep lots of special built saws no quite Pro grade but could have been lol 353 , 359 , 365 , 555 !

Just browsing the list.
HUSQVARNA

Cheers
SE designation was the Special Edition fore runner of the XP line up before Commercial Grade became Proffessional grade saw line ups . The 245 xp & 257 xp along with the 268 xp were also serious Commercial (Pro) grade saws in their day proven pulp wood cutters !

HUSQVARNA
if a special or se is a pro the 444, 268.
Looks like at least one other member considered the SE line as a pro saw. I'll include those in my master spreadsheet for now unless someone gives a definitive reason not to include those models.

I'll get the overall list on the web updated periodically.

Thank you!

Nate

Homelite XL-12, xl925, Super1050a. All the Remington and early Poulan saws.

Although those Homelite saws are likely quality units, I have for now made a decision to keep this saw list contained to relatively recent saws which offer a chain brake as a standard feature. I intend this list to be for those looking new to chain sawing who are looking for a quality used saw to use today - I think most casual users of today desire a chain brake.

I know I know I know there are arguments for those older saws, but that is my focus for now to keep this growing list reasonably sized. I don't intend it as a collectors' site.

Thank you!

Nate

359 now added
I amended my original post & included the 353 , same criteria as the 359 which had to compete with the 357 xp . The 353 had to cut in the shadow of the venerable 346 xp . Tough calls , these saws were constructed the same way as the xp's . I'am thinking compression was down on these border line professional grade units . That may be a criteria , when you include tighter squish bands & crankcase stuffers etc within your eventual final decision tree Nate ?

I amended my original post & included the 353 , same criteria as the 359 which had to compete with the 357 xp . The 353 had to cut in the shadow of the venerable 346 xp . Tough calls , these saws were constructed the same way as the xp's . I'am thinking compression was down on these border line professional grade units . That may be a criteria , when you include tighter squish bands & crankcase stuffers etc within your eventual final decision tree Nate ?

Yeah, I have not really decided yet. I left SE models in for now, but may eventually take them out. I don't know about squish bands and crankcase stuffers. Can one see these features in parts lists or pictures of parts? I want good saws on the list, but if SE models are wanna-be XP models, then they will have to be eliminated.

Yeah, I have not really decided yet. I left SE models in for now, but may eventually take them out. I don't know about squish bands and crankcase stuffers. Can one see these features in parts lists or pictures of parts? I want good saws on the list, but if SE models are wanna-be XP models, then they will have to be eliminated.
Its all about making more usable horsepower , squish bands effect compression & there fore effect horsepower . Stuffer's reduce the volume within the crankcase thereby increasing potential for effective fuel charge & scavenging . Much in the same way reed valve induction effects low rpm horse power & torgue potential . The SE was the foreunner of the XP or better realized as the 1st generation XP ( Special Edition vs Xtra Power or Performance) . The 353 , 359 , 365 & newer 555 would be the wanna bee XP models . You , will have to determine what & when your professional grade line criteria has been met . (Bench mark) . Husquarna does mention them as professional grade , Hower ever at the XP level ? In my mind probably No , I believe there are low to high ranges of Pro Grade however , depending on the application of cutting !

Now I am confused. There were not SE models and XP models of the same model saw, were there?
Yes , I believe the 2 series had both versions over the yrs . Let me check for you . Yep , through the early 80's the 254 , 257 , 262 , 266 & 268 were 1st Designated SE ( Special Edition ) After the 2nd production run of the 268 in 1985/87 I believe all the 268's became XP designation although their black factory plate would say 268 SE the saws decals showed the XP symbol on the cylinder shroud & clutch cover . By the time the 272 Series came out all Professional Husquarna's had acquired the XP Designation . Interesting through these 7-8 yr period the chassis remained very similar in appearance although some models were open port , while others utilized the closed port engine configuration . The 266 SE & aforementioned 268 SE/XP were both 67 cc saws the 266 was closed port & the 268 open port . The 266 produced 4.5 hp & the 268 4.6 hp . The 268 ran a Ducati high rpm coil / 13,000 compared to The Delphi on the 266 which ran at 11,500 rpm . Anyhow hope this helps a little brother . Closed port saws are a favorite of saw builders !

Confusing. It makes sense to leave the SE saws on the list, then, because in my mind if a person gets the correct one, it may have all features desired from a pro saw. However, maybe there should still be an asterisk beside SE saws, a limitation of sorts, a disclaimer.

What info did you just consult for that? If I had that, maybe I'd have less need for a saw list.

Nate

Confusing. It makes sense to leave the SE saws on the list, then, because in my mind if a person gets the correct one, it may have all features desired from a pro saw. However, maybe there should still be an asterisk beside SE saws, a limitation of sorts, a disclaimer.

What info did you just consult for that? If I had that, maybe I'd have less need for a saw list.

Nate
Just some of a 68 yr olds , old saw Service Manuals . I have most of the 2 series through 3 series service manual Cat'l & also Dolmar from the 111-115 series through the 4 , 5 , 6 & 7 Series . Same with the Pioneer 300 , 600 , 700 & P Series 20 - 51 & 11-60 , 700 & 1100 & 1200 series . Same within the Mac 600 , 700 through 850 Super & Pro Series 10-10 also . Been using saws since I was a young teenager lol.

Latest posts

Back