Looking for a saw for my teenage Son

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a guess that'd be right.

Wayne/Gmax posted one up recently that he had, I think it was in the dribble thread, as it was unusual to see a Makita in Dolmar orange.

The little 411 that lives here received a muffler mod early on and it woke it up with a lot better response and little noise gain, or maybe I was just comparing it to the bigger saws here. :D

Now, where's that video of Brad's daughter starting a 420 when she was ten?

I've got a Dolmar PS-510. I have a bit of trouble taking the 460 seriously because it's identical to the 510 but with some of the power missing, and in the USA there was little difference in price. However, if OP is down under and they don't sell the 510 there...
With a 460 or 510 the boy would have to learn the proper starting technique.
What would a 420 or 421 cost, shipped in from a USA dealer, compared to a 460 bought locally?
IIRC, a 420 and a 460 were very similar in power but not in size/weight.

same carburetor on both 460 & 510??
because I'm a little frustrated with my 460.. thinking of a serious upgrade.

Kinda like how my .458 winnie makes it seem really nice and pleasant to shoot my little '06 and 45-70.

Never entertained my self with a .458, but if that chamber makes a 45-70 pleasureable I need to find one!

Op, I started my boy on an 026, (just because I had it). He is 13, topping that scale at around 130. Saw weighs less than 11lbs and has great power. He handles the weight well.

Lots of great recommends here.

Latest posts

Back