looking for firewood saw and trail clearing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I skunked you

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at either stihl 261-cm or 362-cm this will be a one and done saw. Was going to look at an updated husky 562xp but dealer didn't recommend as he had 5 of them blown up in his shop. This is just a firewood saw and trail clearing saw. Any opinions. Would like to stick to pro grade saws.

What about a used 361? 60cc is a good "one size fits most" displacement, but I can't personally recommend the 362cm. We ran them in the corps and had nothing but trouble with the mtronic system.
The mtronic 261 we had ran fine, but I found it to be a little small for my taste.

I am about ready to bite the bullet and jump back into a 562xp. Seems like the best option. 261 maybe a little underpowered for me.

I like this forum, Their is a lot of information to be had. But asking about these saws has confused me on what to get. If I was a millionaire I'd have about 6 saws. But unfortunately I'm not and am trying to get the best saw that can do it all. That is not really rational thinking though. I realize I probably need a large saw and smaller saw.
I had posted about getting a ms r 362 cm and talked to stihl and he told me I couldn't cut stuff close to the ground due to the full wrap handle which I didn't even think of. So that saw is out of the picture. Then read reviews that the 362 cm is a crap saw. Seems like the 261 is good, but what is weird is stihl recommend a non mtronic 261. I have read this forums till I'm sorta getting little OCD.
Thanks for the information.

I like this forum, Their is a lot of information to be had. But asking about these saws has confused me on what to get. If I was a millionaire I'd have about 6 saws. But unfortunately I'm not and am trying to get the best saw that can do it all. That is not really rational thinking though. I realize I probably need a large saw and smaller saw.
I had posted about getting a ms r 362 cm and talked to stihl and he told me I couldn't cut stuff close to the ground due to the full wrap handle which I didn't even think of. So that saw is out of the picture. Then read reviews that the 362 cm is a crap saw. Seems like the 261 is good, but what is weird is stihl recommend a non mtronic 261. I have read this forums till I'm sorta getting little OCD.
Thanks for the information.
This forum is the reason I have two 90cc saws, when realisticly I'd be fine with a 70... The more you read the more you overthink things. You want at least two saws for sure, for backup and in case you get pinched real bad. Two saw plan also works for your intended usage- Big saw for firewood, small for trailwork.
Stihl and Husqvarna still make great saws, it just seems like things are more complicated now. If you buy new, your dealer should be able to help with any problems you might have. That said, nothing wrong with picking up a used pro saw, especially if you can get one from before the era of EPA crap. Easy to work on.

If you were going to buy one and be done I'd probably buy a 362 CM with both a 16in b/c and a 20in b/c in case you run into some bigger stuff. I have a 261 CM, though, and it's a lot of saw for its size. The 362 only has .75 more HP but weighs around 2 lbs more. Our one saw plan at work are 460 R's and 461R's

Latest posts

Back