looking for new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Cigar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a new chainsaw. Been cutting for a while for firewood and had the Stihl MS 260 pro which met its end. Still have the MS170 Stihl but want a second saw. Something dependable between 40 and 50 CC. People say look at the Dolmar. What suggestions do you all have? Another Stihl or a Dolmar?
Thanks
Bruce

Welcome! These threads get a lot of suggestions. What dealers are local to you?
For some people dealer support is important, more so if you have no interest in doing maintenance or repair. Once you have narrowed down your potential purchase its always best to go to the dealer and feel the saw if you can. If you have a local dealer, ask to test the out. Most dealers will have a pile of wood out back you can try the saw. Good luck and while you are waiting for the responses to pour in do a little search and see what comes up.

Welcome! These threads get a lot of suggestions. What dealers are local to you?
For some people dealer support is important, more so if you have no interest in doing maintenance or repair. Once you have narrowed down your potential purchase its always best to go to the dealer and feel the saw if you can. If you have a local dealer, ask to test the out. Most dealers will have a pile of wood out back you can try the saw. Good luck and while you are waiting for the responses to pour in do a little search and see what comes up.

thanks, looking at the Dolmar 420 or 421, dealers nearby, or maybe getting a deal on a slightly used Stihl 261

Without knowing the details of it's demise, my first inclination would be to repair the 260. If that's a no-go, I'd be looking at the Dolmar 5105, or even 6100. Don't get me wrong, I love the 421. I'm a very pleased owner of that model, but it's pretty close to the 170 as far as what you'll use it for. The 5105 will be more like the 260 was.

Without knowing the details of it's demise, my first inclination would be to repair the 260. If that's a no-go, I'd be looking at the Dolmar 5105, or even 6100. Don't get me wrong, I love the 421. I'm a very pleased owner of that model, but it's pretty close to the 170 as far as what you'll use it for. The 5105 will be more like the 260 was.

Thanks, I am also waiting on a deal on a very slightly used ms 261

@spike60 is close to you. He is a dealer but IDK if he dabbles in Dolmar or Stihl, mainly Husky or Jonsereds. You might want to reach out to him.

IDK what your budget is or Stihl saws but, here is a modified Stihl 261 for sale in the sites "Trading Post". Do some searching in the trading post and don't be shy to ask us about a seller before you buy. Most are good people but once in a while there are new members that come on here try to sell a saw and take people's money. I wouldn't say its common but don't be afraid to ask about a seller.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-ms261.302741/

Heres a nice clean Jonsered.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...xcellent-shape-new-price.301108/#post-5991125

In the displacement range you named, the Dolmars are definitely pick-of-the-litter IMO. Meaning 421, 5105, 6100. Pro-quality durable, bang per buck way beyond what stihl has to offer. Information re parts readily available, parts available ditto online. Construction conducive to making access simple, vice occasionally bizarrely difficult. What's not to like there? A GREAT Dolmar dealer in Greenwich, NY: @166.
Husqy has some serious candidates up around 60 cc, like the 555. @spike60 can give you the details and a good price. Both dealers can give you all the support you could need. Good luck.

That Jonsered i listed is in the same class saw as the Stihl, it's slightly used and listed at a great price. It's also pro grade construction and out performs the Stihl. Idk how it compares to the Dolmar.

What happened to the ms260? Unless it was hit by a truck or something catastrophic it would be well worth rebuilding! Even if not by you there are guys in the trading post that would probably be interested in buying it.

What happened to the ms260? Unless it was hit by a truck or something catastrophic it would be well worth rebuilding! Even if not by you there are guys in the trading post that would probably be interested in buying it.

had it fixed twice, sold it on craigslist, it may have been a lemon

Latest posts

Back