Mahle vs Meteor - MS440/460 Hybrid Comparison Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For months now, I've been saying that a ported Meteor cylinder will not make the power that a ported Mahle cylinder does. I ported one myself with lack luster results. I gave it away. I did not port the Meteor cylinder in this comparison. However, it was presented to us as a great running saw from a very capable builder. It does run well, but it's 20% behind the saw with the Mahle topend. Don't make out of this what it isn't. This isn't about whether or not the other builder can build a good saw. I know for a fact that he can, proven at the 460 buildoff. My only point here is to say that if investing the money in porting, your money is best spent on OEM. In the case of these two saws, the difference is nearly equal to that of what porting often results in. IMHO, it's just not worth the minimal cost savings. I'll also add that this is a very good running saw, and am only pointing out that if looking for the best results, stick with OEM.

[video=youtube_share;xopemuG4Ccs]http://youtu.be/xopemuG4Ccs[/video]

The saw I built is built for much larger and harder wood. Send your saw and Brian's here. I have real wood for a test.

I don't understand what your trying to accomplish? Did you use the same saw to compare cylinders? And did you use the exact same timing, port shape, ect on both cylinders? Or are you just comparing two saws by two builders?

I don't understand what your trying to accomplish? Did you use the same saw to compare cylinders? And did you use the exact same timing, port shape, ect on both cylinders? Or are you just comparing two saws by two builders?

The owner of this saw was interested in this comparison, Randy agreed, so I made it happen. I've asked for a similar comparison for months. This was the best I could do without wasting my time and energy porting another AM cylinder. Like I said, I ported one and it ran so inferior to OEM that I gave it away. You would see the same results.

The owner of this saw was interested in this comparison, Randy agreed, so I made it happen. I've asked for a similar comparison for months. This was the best I could do without wasting my time and energy porting another AM cylinder. Like I said, I ported one and it ran so inferior to OEM that I gave it away. You would see the same results.

So are the timing numbers and ports the same on the two saws compared or......

So now Brad. I would like to borrow your saw for my own test. Is that fair? Will you agree to that?

You're loosing the respect you gained with me in our PM chats.

Well Andre........look at it for what it is. My saw was built to run a 32" bar. Brad said they would be tested in big hardwood. That ain't big or hard.......

Sorry if I'm a disappointment to you.

I have no dog in this race but I have to ask..........can you achive the same port timing numbers with a aftermarket top end that you can with a OEM? And if so is it the transfers volume that makes the difference. Say you have a lathe/mill so you can gut what ever you want is it just not possible. And then you gotta think that maybe for a hundred less some people will just be happy with only 20% slower. I only make firewood with my saw so I really don't need super speed, just day in day out dependability............yeah Guys, I know I can't spell.

Well Andre........look at it for what it is. My saw was built to run a 32" bar. Brad said they would be tested in big hardwood. That ain't big or hard.......

Sorry if I'm a disappointment to you.

That was my goal as well Randy. I couldn't produce that today. You accused me of holding out on this testing for less than stellar motives. I put aside a paying customers saw and drove 2 hours round trip to make this happen today. I did the best I could under the conditions.

Latest posts

Back