Mahle vs Meteor - MS440/460 Hybrid Comparison Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no dog in this race but I have to ask..........can you achive the same port timing numbers with a aftermarket top end that you can with a OEM? And if so is it the transfers volume that makes the difference. Say you have a lathe/mill so you can gut what ever you want is it just not possible. And then you gotta think that maybe for a hundred less some people will just be happy with only 20% slower. I only make firewood with my saw so I really don't need super speed, just day in day out dependability............yeah Guys, I know I can't spell.

If that's your goal, then bolt on an unported OEM cylinder.

I have no dog in this race but I have to ask..........can you achive the same port timing numbers with a aftermarket top end that you can with a OEM? And if so is it the transfers volume that makes the difference. Say you have a lathe/mill so you can gut what ever you want is it just not possible. And then you gotta think that maybe for a hundred less some people will just be happy with only 20% slower. I only make firewood with my saw so I really don't need super speed, just day in day out dependability............yeah Guys, I know I can't spell.

This was discussed in one of the other locked threads.

That was my goal as well Randy. I couldn't produce that today. You accused me of holding out on this testing for less than stellar motives. I put aside a paying customers saw and drove 2 hours round trip to make this happen today. I did the best I could under the conditions.

I thank you for going ahead with this test........I'm glad you proved your point.

Better?

That was my goal as well Randy. I couldn't produce that today. You accused me of holding out on this testing for less than stellar motives. I put aside a paying customers saw and drove 2 hours round trip to make this happen today. I did the best I could under the conditions.

and your OEM saw handed the AM saw its ass.

I have not as much as pulled the muffler from this saw. Me and Randy's 460s were neck and neck at the 460 buildoff. He presented this saw as a great runner, so I expect it to be nothing less.

Its less about aftermarket verse OEM in my opinion if the saws are not built similar let alone by two separate builders.

I'd be more interested in seeing the Meteor stock vs. Mahle stock.

I've installed, several A/M top ends of almost every imaginable brand on both
Husky and Stihl saws and universally found the performance lack luster.

Some were so poor that they had to be ported just to run as well as an OEM.
In general I've found the best low cost solution to be a good used OEM cylinder
and a good quality A/M piston.

This was discussed in one of the other locked threads.

So in other words, you guys aren't gonna answer my question. Its a honest question. So instead Im gonna watch two of my favorite guys get in another fight on here. Right?!? Brad, I like you alot when I was new on this site you sent me a flywheel for FREE to get my firewood making saw running. Randy, I like reading your threads and how you always have full pictures. You both seem like great fellas and it just sucks to watch you two fight over this crap.

Brad, I have bolted a OEM stock top end on a 372 and it smokes my aftermarket BB kit. But what Im asking is there more volume in the transfers of the OEM. You two are both skilled enough to make the port timing anything you want it to be, so that would be the only thing holding the a/m back?

I think, that the best way for you guys to put this to sleep is to agree to disagree, your both great guys and neither one of you two need this.

I'm just so tired of Brad's crusade........

Crusade for what? I've done my best to backup my findings that AM doesn't equal OEM. If you think it's more than that, that's not my problem. How many months now have I had to repeatedly listen to the banter that only you knows how to part an AM cylinder? You've done nothing to suggest any different, letting us all believe how good AM runs. The proof's in the pudding.

So in other words, you guys aren't gonna answer my question. Its a honest question. So instead Im gonna watch two of my favorite guys get in another fight on here. Right?!? Brad, I like you alot when I was new on this site you sent me a flywheel for FREE to get my firewood making saw running. Randy, I like reading your threads and how you always have full pictures. You both seem like great fellas and it just sucks to watch you two fight over this crap.

Brad, I have bolted a OEM stock top end on a 372 and it smokes my aftermarket BB kit. But what Im asking is there more volume in the transfers of the OEM. You two are both skilled enough to make the port timing anything you want it to be, so that would be the only thing holding the a/m back?

I think, that the best way for you guys to put this to sleep is to agree to disagree, your both great guys and neither one of you two need this.

I didn't bother to even trying figuring out why the AM cylinder didn't run as well. I replaced it with OEM, ported to the exact same specs, and it ran as expected.

I've agreed to disagree several times.

I'm ready to do it again.

How about you Brad?

You win. :msp_thumbup:

If I've wronged you.........I apologize........seriously.

Crusade for what? I've done my best to backup my findings that AM doesn't equal OEM. If you think it's more than that, that's not my problem. How many months now have I had to repeatedly listen to the banter that only you knows how to part an AM cylinder? You've done nothing to suggest any different, letting us all believe how good AM runs. The proof's in the pudding.

And again, the purpose of this thread is not about knocking you. If you want to take there, I have answers.

Back