Mahle vs Meteor - MS440/460 Hybrid Comparison Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tried of fussing.

I am too Randy. Remember what started all of this? You accused me last night of tampering with your saw, and altering mine to try and beat yours. I take great offense to that. You have allowed us for months to think that ported AM runs as well as OEM. You've allowed your buddies to attack me relentlessly, calling them your "dear friends", and watch as the repeatly talk about how only you can port an AM cylinder, while I cannot. What am I supposed to think?

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in seeing the Meteor stock vs. Mahle stock.

I've installed, several A/M top ends of almost every imaginable brand on both
Husky and Stihl saws and universally found the performance lack luster.

Some were so poor that they had to be ported just to run as well as an OEM.
In general I've found the best low cost solution to be a good used OEM cylinder
and a good quality A/M piston.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/221513.htm

I finally got a chance to make this topend comparison that I promised a few weeks ago. The test mule was my Dad's early 1st month production 046....

Both saws start, idle and rev perfectly. Matter of fact, there's almost no difference of any kind in the useablilty or power of either topend! To say I am shock, would be an understatement! This Meteor topend runs fantastic.

Do the test at the gtg. Eat some pie shoot the **** and remember we all love saws. Randy you've always been helpful and kind. I respect your knowledge and ability. This "test" won't change that I'll still call you with questions. Brad we bump into each other on here I've got run time on a 461 you did it's a nice saw. I've ran a BBC 372 that ate it's lunch but that doesn't mean squat. So let's just drop this deal. I hate seeing a list of folks watching you two argue like it's 8th graders fighting. You both have your wrongings but that's not making this better.

This daily drama is bringing back fond memories of AS back in the old days! Sure do miss having some of those long ago banned folks around to stir things up!

Yeah, and one of the reasons those "banned folks" aren't around anymore was that they'd rather argue, posture, and defame than settle their differences.

Sound familiar?

G
I didn't bother to even trying figuring out why the AM cylinder didn't run as well. I replaced it with OEM, ported to the exact same specs, and it ran as expected.

I may have misunderstood you, you used one bottom end? And ported a OEM jug the same as the aftermarket, And it ran 20% better? That makes more sense to me now.

This is like seeing some Historical site.............. I've seen this one, and I'm sure I'll view the next one, but for now I'm going back to watching the movie I started. "End of Watch" it's pretty good so far, very intense, lots of posturing.............

This is like seeing some Historical site.............. I've seen this one, and I'm sure I'll view the next one, but for now I'm going back to watching the movie I started. "End of Watch" it's pretty good so far, very intense, lots of posturing.............

Hey Jocko.........I found a picture of you on Facebook. You really do not look like a hippy. :laugh:

Why is it so hard to see that AM doesn't stand up to OEM and leave it at that. That's ALL this was about.

Because it's a great option for a guy trying to save a few bucks. They are much improved and if we keep testing and providing feedback they will get even better.

Why can't you see that?

Rather than make this yet another debate lets just let it go. I'll refrain from glorifying them if you stop bad mouthing them.....is that fair enough?

Back