Mahle vs Meteor - MS440/460 Hybrid Comparison Results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you make a pie chart or a graph to help me better understand the question. My stupid a little bit and stuff. :msp_tongue:

I just built Randy Watson a 346 using an aftermarket kit. It seemed to run well.....I din't run it side by side with an OEM one.....but it did run well enough that I was happy with it.

I figured it like this.

You charge $250 for a woods port

OEM $295+250=545/20(the hypothetical extra gains)=$29.95per %

AM 103+250=353/20=17.65per% gained

The question is it worth the money to go OEM if you still get solid gains and durability from a cheaper option?

I figured it like this.

You charge $250 for a woods port

OEM $295+250=545/20(the hypothetical extra gains)=$29.95per %

AM 103+250=353/20=17.65per% gained

The question is it worth the money to go OEM if you still get solid gains and durability from a cheaper option?

I've never had much money.......had to work damn hard for it too.

If the saw cuts wood and holds up......I'm going for the least expensive way to get back to work.

Now if I had plenty to spend I would pony up the extra money and get the OEM parts.

QC is better with OEM.....there's no doubt about that. The aftermarket is doing better in some cases. I've tested and checked on a bunch of kits for Randy and Henry lately. Some just won't work because the port shapes are all wrong.....or they free port......I'm even seen one that was out of round (on a kit from another supplier).

The way Randy and Henry do business is what has driven me to stand with them. They are trying to get a good kit at a fair price. If that kit fails I believe they will do all they can to make it right. I've never said AM is better.......but it can be a affordable and usable option.

I have no dog in this race but I have to ask..........can you achive the same port timing numbers with a aftermarket top end that you can with a OEM? And if so is it the transfers volume that makes the difference. Say you have a lathe/mill so you can gut what ever you want is it just not possible. And then you gotta think that maybe for a hundred less some people will just be happy with only 20% slower. I only make firewood with my saw so I really don't need super speed, just day in day out dependability............yeah Guys, I know I can't spell.

There's a number of factors. When the big bore kits first came out, the big gripe was how huge the combustion chambers were and how small the transfers were. However, small transfers don't necessarily make a poor running saw and for evidence of that, take a look at a number of Sachs-Dolmar cylinders. Small transfers and a longer stroke make a fine running saw. In general with the current cheaper aftermarket kits- it's a combination of poor timing, sloppy CCs, and poor fitment.

I've never had much money.......had to work damn hard for it too.

If the saw cuts wood and holds up......I'm going for the least expensive way to get back to work.

Now if I had plenty to spend I would pony up the extra money and get the OEM parts.

QC is better with OEM.....there's no doubt about that. The aftermarket is doing better in some cases. I've tested and checked on a bunch of kits for Randy and Henry lately. Some just won't work because the port shapes are all wrong.....or they free port......I'm even seen one that was out of round (on a kit from another supplier).

The way Randy and Henry do business is what has driven me to stand with them. They are trying to get a good kit at a fair price. If that kit fails I believe they will do all they can to make it right. I've never said AM is better.......but it can be a affordable and usable option.

I agree completely Randy is a great guy and his passion shows in how the quality improves. I'll buy from him before I buy from my dealers because there's no doubt he'll stand behind his product. I've got a couple kits I'll be working on soon and they will be ordered from him. QC May be better in OEM but we both know Randy and Henry check the kits before they send them out.:msp_thumbup:

I have run a few AM kits on my Makita 6400, and they worked.The 2 ring Forester was the best starting but didn't last long. I can get 3 AM kits for the price of OEM and have something to mess with on the weekend. I haven't used saws to make a living since the 90's so it wasn't an issue if they ran slower or faster, just that they run. If I was making money I'd go OEM always, if I'm just making chips I'll go for the $100 kit.

What amazes me out of all this, is how about everyone who has posted either way on this issue are the first ones to burn the firewood guys about a firewood measurement tool, or a moisture tester :msp_rolleyes:

Do you see that changing any time soon? As AM users become more demanding of quality will the quality improve? Or will it always be a crap shoot?

From the conversations I've had with a few guys that are dealing with overseas suppliers, there seems to be different grades of kits. It depends on the price the buyer is willing to pay. There are some very good kits.......and some are total crap. I helps to have someone asking questions and looking in the boxes before sending them out to the end users.

Do you see that changing any time soon? As AM users become more demanding of quality will the quality improve? Or will it always be a crap shoot?

Bailey's and the other "large players" in the game are really pushing to improve the aftermarket stuff. Bailey's has invested a lot of money and time in them (more than what most people here would think.) In fact, I was chatting with Nik and Gregg way back when they were first developing the big bore kits and provided them a saw to test on. The early stuff of course was very, very rough. People here would laugh if they saw the first prototype cylinders. Randy and Henry are also pushing hard and investing a lot of time and money in development. I've seen the results first hand and the improvement is there, just like with the motorcycle stuff in the 70's and 80's.

There was a time when Wiseco made some of the crappiest pistons around and people would avoid Wiseco products like the plague. Now they're a major player and even a supplier to segments in the industry.

As with any AM replacement parts the learning curve is just that a curve. The OEM manufacturers have years, and years of R&D to sort out, and work the bugs out of the "system". However the AM manufacturers can't afford that time luxury. Whether it be saw top ends, auto parts, bearings, motors, industrial machinery parts, etc the AM folks have to speed up their respective fine tuning otherwise they are out of business.
I saw a lot of this first hand when I was replacing parts on our mixing equipment at work. Soft start couplers in drive applications were OEM for quite awhile, then the AM folks started using better materials, and once we had a steady product I switched. VFD's (variable frequency drives) were another one. I spent about $7000 on the first one we put in (8 years ago), and the last one was AM ( 3 years ago), and it cost me $3800. It does the same thing, is just as reliable, and actually has a smaller footprint, and is easier to program.

Last edited:
Back