Maine GTG In Early Fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll see what I can come up with for availability. Would love to join.

Start tossing some ideas around about what I can set up for events, I have a ton of logs on hand for cutting cookies out of, I'll burn em in the garage woodstove. Does anyone do anything with axes?

Other than a firewood splitting competition while camping with some buddies involving...... beverages......?

Looks like the east coast will have one big GTG for the next couple of days dealing with this storm. :rock:

i do have horseshoes. 15th should be good.

as far as events theres always racing by displacement category. of course we have to agree on some rules as far as hot start or cold start, where the saw should be, etc. we can set up an event of matching and up cut and a down cut, but that can be hard to judge. disc stacking is a fun one. i have a stand that will hold the log vertical and the objective is to cut as many discs from the log as possible leaving them stacked on the log.

if anyone is up for chopping im all about it. or i can just demonstrate if people are interested.

Im in for a Maine day. I love going up that way. I'm not to far away. But October sounds good to me. Gotta love that fall air! I will bring a few saws up and hang out for the day. I may stay the night if I get into grandpa's ole cough medicine.

After the success of Groundie's GTG last summer, I thought we might want to plan for one this year in early fall? Maybe in late September or early October. The Fryburg Fair is from October 3rd to the 10th and I'll be there, so that week is out for me. Other than that I am open to ideas. Last fall we moved to my dad's farm of 170 acres so it'd be nice to have it here where there's plenty of space. My firewood processor is set up here and I know a few of you expressed interest in seeing that run last fall. I have a pulp loaded here as well to move logs around, so we could have some events quite easily. There are some spots to camp here, no hook ups or anything, but some nice places to pitch a tent or camper.

Just offering this up now to have some time for people to plan it out.

Not stepping on you toes Groundie! I hope! :msp_rolleyes:
I'd love to come . Have 2 friends in China have to help them get some wood in for winter.

Anyone know the zip code, city, location.....??

Just thinking about travel and what not. So far the 15th looks okay. My big bro may come up with me - he usually tags along with me on our NYCSM GTG's. Never been that far Norf East. Furthest I've been is North of Plattsburgh in Flat Rock State Forest for a camping trip. Should be fun!

Hey Chucka'!!! Be great if you guys could come up. Post #7 on the first page, says (ball park) where Moss's place is. I'm sure he'll post specific directions soon. We all will need them!! You gonna try and drag that ol Spike along as well????

207 Leeds Road
Livermore Falls Maine

I plan on displaying/demonstrating the firewood related equipment I have here. ie; firewood processor, homemade woodsplitter, firewood conveyor and so forth. I'd like to encourage people to bring along not only chainsaws, but anything related to the trade that is new, old or interesting.....especially personal inventions.

I don't personally have a gas grill, but I will line up a couple of them for people to toss some grub onto, probably a bring your own meat(BROM) deal to save one person from having to do it all.. Perhaps we can start a list of side dishes to go along with that, nothing fancy, just a few things. I make a potato and onion salad that is pretty tasty, I'll provide that for starters. I don't mind if people want to have a couple casual drinks or beers, but only after the mechanical equipment and saw usage is over with. Hopefully everyone is on the same page with the definition of casual drinking, a couple beers or drinks........no OUI's after leaving the Moss Property...........never.

If anyone has and thoughts as to what my liability responsibilities are around having an event like this on my property are, I'm all ears. I'd like to keep it as a bunch of good ole boys having a lil fun with their toys!

I'm not exactly sure how I talked myself into doing this.......but I do believe we are going to have a good time with this and I'm looking forward to it. :cool2:

Last edited:
Maine GTG

207 Leeds Road
Livermore Falls Maine

I plan on displaying/demonstrating the firewood related equipment I have here. ie; firewood processor, homemade woodsplitter, firewood conveyor and so forth. I'd like to encourage people to bring along not only chainsaws, but anything related to the trade that is new, old or interesting.....especially personal inventions.

I don't personally have a gas grill, but I will line up a couple of them for people to toss some grub onto, probably a bring your own meat(BROM) deal to save one person from having to do it all.. Perhaps we can start a list of side dishes to go along with that, nothing fancy, just a few things. I make a potato and onion salad that is pretty tasty, I'll provide that for starters. I don't mind if people want to have a couple casual drinks or beers, but only after the mechanical equipment and saw usage is over with. Hopefully everyone is on the same page with the definition of casual drinking, a couple beers or drinks........no OUI's after leaving the Moss Property...........never.

I'm not exactly sure how I talked myself into doing this.......but I do believe we are going to have a good time with this and I'm looking forward to it. :cool2:
Moss Man, I believe I used to go thru there on my way to Philips years ago. 73 and 4 when a friend had a place on Tooth acre Pond Rd. off of RT. 4. I remember going across a bridge and I think there was a paper mill there that I could see. Been awhile but I'm sure the wife and I can find it. She likes to cut wood and stacks most of it. Real good on the ends.:redface: Anyway would love to come! Will go to Google for specifics. Thanks Bob Looking forward to it! Prettiest place on Earth in the fall!

Last edited:
Moss Man, I believe I used to go thru there on my way to Philips years ago. 73 and 4 when a friend had a place on Tooth acre Pond Rd. off of RT. 4. I remember going across a bridge and I think there was a paper mill there that I could see. Been awhile but I'm sure the wife and I can find it. She likes to cut wood and stacks most of it. Real good on the ends.:redface: Anyway would love to come! Will go to Google Earth for specifics. Thanks Bob Looking forward to it! Prettiest place on Earth in the fall!

My place isn't far from the bridge and paper mill, I worked at the mill for 24 years before they closed the doors for good. :msp_ohmy:

I wouldn't hold you liable for anything other than hosting a good time :rock:

On the other hand if you cut my leg off....... :jester:

I'll bring some pasta salad. The pasta salad is mayo based, so if someone wants to bring a dressing based one, we'll have the bases covered. (no pun intended. My wife caught it, but I didn't.) :msp_rolleyes:

It sounds like a good time.

I'll bring a couple of saws, and maybe dig out some of the old timers my dad has in the barn. :hmm3grin2orange:

Is it an issue if I drag my dad along? He's not on the site, but he likes old saws, and used to log for a living.

Last edited:
I'll bring some pasta salad. The pasta salad is mayo based, so if someone wants to bring a dressing based one, we'll have the bases covered. (no pun intended. My wife caught it, but I didn't.) :msp_rolleyes:

It sounds like a good time.

I'll bring a couple of saws, and maybe dig out some of the old timers my dad has in the barn. :hmm3grin2orange:

Is it an issue if I drag my dad along? He's not on the site, but he likes old saws, and used to log for a living.

Of course, bring him!

This isn't for members only, bring a friend or family member by all means.

Latest posts

Back