Makita choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much difference is there between a 6401 and a 7901 with both running a twenty inch bar? Anyone tried them both?

I have both , a PS-6400 & PS-7900 , stock , pretty much the same as the PS-6401 & PS-7901.
I agree with everyone saying that the PS-6400 is no match to her big sister the PS-7900 when compared next to each other.
But I think that even the "small" PS-6400 has its place.

This week I bucked up my uncles firewood beech tree trunks , they where 8 to 20" in diameter (regular firewood size around here).
I used both my saws , starting with either one using it till the tank was empty , then continued with the other.
My opinion is that anything up to 20" the PS-6400 handles fairly well , and anything significantly under 20" the PS-7900 is pure overkill.
This opinion is currently based on following wood types: cherry , hornbeam , beech , oak , pear.

There is no denying that the PS-7900 has significantly more grunt and asks for larger diameter trees , but she is also more fuel hungry then the PS-6400.
By my estimation the PS-6400 ran about 10-15 minutes longer on a full tank then the PS-7900 - same fuel , same wood pile , both running 20" bars , both chains having identical wear and been file sharpened by me.

It all adds up to what You need Your saws for!

I don't intend to "get rid" of my PS-6400 , on average I use her slightly more then my PS-7900.
They are both great saws in my eyes! :heart:

Cheers :cheers:

I have read mixed opinions (on here) on the 6400, some people have said they upgraded their 6400 to a 7900 then regretted it, some say the 7900 is way better and wouldn't go back. Im in the same boat as the OP have a 550xp and a realy low hour nice 6400.
I would like something bigger to fill the next size bracket up......... Should I get an OEM 7900 kit and upgrade or keep the 6400 and buy a bigger saw as well?
Im leaning towards keeping the 550xp with 16" bar, 6400 with 20" bar and a ported 7910 with 28" bar.

Or maybe a 390xp for extra torque.......... The big advantage of having two Dolmars is if you only pull out one at a time your wife won't know the difference and think you only have the one saw. ;)

I have read mixed opinions (on here) on the 6400, some people have said they upgraded their 6400 to a 7900 then regretted it, some say the 7900 is way better and wouldn't go back. Im in the same boat as the OP have a 550xp and a realy low hour nice 6400.
I would like something bigger to fill the next size bracket up......... Should I get an OEM 7900 kit and upgrade or keep the 6400 and buy a bigger saw as well?
Im leaning towards keeping the 550xp with 16" bar, 6400 with 20" bar and a ported 7910 with 28" bar.

Or maybe a 390xp for extra torque.......... The big advantage of having two Dolmars is if you only pull out one at a time your wife won't know the difference and think you only have the one saw. ;)
I would upgrade the 6400. Why pack the weight without the punch.

I have a Makita that was abandoned here. It required a more expensive repair than it was worth, so i almost threw it in a lake.

Then against my better judgement I gave it the new spark plug.

I have both , a PS-6400 & PS-7900 , stock , pretty much the same as the PS-6401 & PS-7901.
I agree with everyone saying that the PS-6400 is no match to her big sister the PS-7900 when compared next to each other.

This week I bucked up my uncles firewood beech tree trunks , they where 8 to 20" in diameter (regular firewood size around here).
I used both my saws , starting with either one using it till the tank was empty , then continued with the other.
My opinion is that anything up to 20" the PS-6400 handles fairly well , and anything significantly under 20" the PS-7900 is pure overkill.
This opinion is currently based on following wood types: cherry , hornbeam , beech , oak , pear.

There is no denying that the PS-7900 has significantly more grunt and asks for larger diameter trees , but she is also more fuel hungry then the PS-6400.
By my estimation the PS-6400 ran about 10-15 minutes longer on a full tank then the PS-7900 - same fuel , same wood pile , both running 20" bars , both chains having identical wear and been file sharpened by me.

I don't intend to "get rid" of my PS-6400 , on average I use her slightly more then my PS-7900.

But the 7900 definitely put more lbs of wood on the ground. I do see your point tho. Put an 8 or 9 tooth rim on the 7900. Problem solved. You don't have to walk through your sawdust piles either.
FWIW, I ran .404" 7 pin and threw dust twice as far as my 8 tooth on 3/8".
For normal firewood from 8-20", an 8 tooth 3/8 is perfect on this saw

I love my 7900. My dad does too. We use it more than we need too just because how great it runs. The only problem is it makes other saws seem boring. The 6100 has sat idle more than I would like because of it. The P-61 is quite the beast and my favourite but shows it's age in other ways. Buying a 7900 in pieces in a box was hands down the best money and time I have invested in a saw thus far. Though I'm excited for my 120si..

In my opinion...the 7900 is a hot rod, do some exhaust work and mod the carb and it's GOLDEN....until you port it.....then it turns into a real wood eating Demon.

The 84AM kits are ok and can be made to run well. They do have more bottom end torque in my opinion and pull really strong and would make a good big wood saw of for milling.

In my opinion...the 7900 is a hot rod, do some exhaust work and mod the carb and it's GOLDEN....until you port it.....then it turns into a real wood eating Demon.

The 84AM kits are ok and can be made to run well. They do have more bottom end torque in my opinion and pull really strong and would make a good big wood saw of for milling.
The cost of a genuine OEM P&C is scarey down here, but I can get the 84cc big bore kit at a good price. I have two 6401's and thought about keeping one stock and upgrading the other.

'It all adds up to what You need Your saws for!'
Most sensible post here.
How about applying this to a truck ? My 6 cylinder is efficient for my full size PU for hauling what I haul 95% of the time. Why change motors it if it fits most needs almost perfect. If I need more power for pulling trailer sometimes but not usually and I want another bigger truck, parts interchange would be an advantage . That's what I have and I have a compact truck also for lighter use.
If I were the poster I'd opt for the 7901 to compliment the 6401, bar and parts interchange make them good back ups for each other, really wouldn't have much need for the 359 unless as another back up or you just like it very well. A decent 50ish cc and a cheap little beater saw would complete a good line up for the variety of types of work I get into .

'It all adds up to what You need Your saws for!'
Most sensible post here.
How about applying this to a truck ? My 6 cylinder is efficient for my full size PU for hauling what I haul 95% of the time. Why change motors it if it fits most needs almost perfect. If I need more power for pulling trailer sometimes but not usually and I want another bigger truck, parts interchange would be an advantage . That's what I have and I have a compact truck also for lighter use.
If I were the poster I'd opt for the 7901 to compliment the 6401, bar and parts interchange make them good back ups for each other, really wouldn't have much need for the 359 unless as another back up or you just like it very well. A decent 50ish cc and a cheap little beater saw would complete a good line up for the variety of types of work I get into .
I don't agree with the truck comparisson. Cause I'm not sure what the average wood cutter burns in fuel threw there saws a year but I bet it's much less than they put threw there truck in 1 week. 5 gal of gas typically last a lonnnnnng time. That and a 6400 just isn't as fun to run.

The 6401 has a stock 20" bar. What size would you recommend to go with a 7901 top end? This would be for cutting dead Australian hardwood (eucalypt) logs from 24"" to 36"?

Latest posts

Back