Masterminded 32:1 mix requirement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
Just returned from a warm CA holiday trip. 70 deg. F. there. 15-20 deg. F. here, snowing, blowing hard, cold... stove filled with black locust, house should get up to temp soon.

Oh yah, Mastermind: I turned on the sig files here for grins, and noticed that you have a 32:1 note on your sig file. Any reason for that? Other than the obvious, of course... better ring seal, low end lube, or are 50:1 mix saws blowing up? Or are people still using generic dyno and TCW-3 oil in saws?

Oh no... not another oil thread...

Just returned from a warm CA holiday trip. 70 deg. F. there. 15-20 deg. F. here, snowing, blowing hard, cold... stove filled with black locust, house should get up to temp soon.

Oh yah, Mastermind: I turned on the sig files here for grins, and noticed that you have a 32:1 note on your sig file. Any reason for that? Other than the obvious, of course... better ring seal, low end lube, or are 50:1 mix saws blowing up? Or are people still using generic dyno and TCW-3 oil in saws?

Oh no... not another oil thread...
There is no reason to not run any 2 stroke on any less oil than 32:1. Increasing the quality of oil doesn't mean you are gaining any benefit using less of it, regardless of what anyone says. People have had engines eventually fail prematurely at 50:1 and even 40:1. I have never read of anyone having a lubrication related failure with a 32:1 ratio, in any application. One exception - Kart Racing, where you would use 15 or 16:1, due to the extreme RPM's.

Last edited:
Well, at the same time running 100% synthetic is way better than running with 100% dyno, at the same mix ratio. I run my saws at 45:1 for the better ring seal and low end lube. I have never had a saw engine go out on me, ever. No scuffing, no seizures, no scoring. I did have one 066 with a bad clutch side bearing, but that was from the previous owner and I have no way of knowing what he ran in the saw (and that seems to be a common problem with early 066 saws). I tune my saws regularly for altitude variation and I run only E0 premium fuel with Elf 100% synthetic motorcycle racing oil. I personally do not know of anyone that failed a saw prematurely because they were running a newer air cooled 2-stroke at 50:1 with an air-cooled 2-stroke oil. It would be really hard to differentiate the oil that they are using with other factors such as gas quality, tuning and running conditions.

This site seems to be going toward high ratio oil rates all of a sudden after Randy posted a blown fully ported saw that was run at 80:1. That is a rather high strung saw running on a very lean oil mix. Randy is pushing the bearings hard with a lot more compression, and hence they are being run beyond the intended design limits of the saw. Exotic conditions compared to stock. From the photos you cannot really say that the cause was directly related to the oil, though it looks dry there in the low end. In my motocross days we ran on higher oil rates to get better ring seal and more compression. When I left this site a few years ago all the rage was toward 100:1 oils and exotic blends. I never ran that stuff. I have run all kinds of pure dyno and synthetic oils and blends though, from older 16:1 to newer 32-50:1. I swear by 100% JASO tested FC/FD synthetics myself.

In the end, I can see where running a highly modified saw would require more lube, but not a stocker. And Randy has modified a lot of saws out there running 50:1 oil.

32:1 just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I don't believe I'd see any failures at 40:1 either.......but

The 390XP has been known to lose the crank and/or PTO bearings. That same saw on 32:1 will last and last. The 372XP has a crank that can be a little intolerant of static compression pressures of 200 psi and more.....unless they are run @32:1.

I torture test a few saws of my own......trying to kill em with compression. I have to know what they will or will not be able to handle. Since I started using H1R @ 32:1, I've not lost a crank......

A couple years back I had a thread describing how I had inadvertently run my brand new 359 Husky at 100:1 and had done so for over 100 full cords of firewood. After discovering my mistake, I immediately did a compression test and it was undamaged! At 100:1 no less! Husky synthetic.
Of course I did not continue running at 100:1 but now run at 50:1. All of my saws are stock.

I just finished reading the 660 thread and it was really interesting and informative. It also reaffirms my suspicions on modifying saws cutting in to the overall life of a saw. That much extra pressure on bearings just can't go on for ever. Modding a saw just cuz it's fun to run doesn't cut it for me. Any saw is fun to run, if the chain is sharp! lol

Ted

Ok- so I have 36 bottles of Woodland Pro Synthetic to use. Since I have a 2188 and a 2171 (both listed above) should I go ahead and start using 32:1? I have been using 40:1. Or should I not use them at all and move onto the Belray? I dont want any saw failures due to my ignorance.

I still don't think it is your responsibility to cover saws once they leave. Folks should let you know within a reasonable time of getting the saw back (within days) on how it is doing. After that, it is up to them on use and care/ maint issues- oil, tuning, etc. It's awful nice for you to offer to help friends/customers..... but you're running a business and sometimes I think your heart is too big bro. I understand your reasoning as you expressed it today to me (good comes to those who do good, etc) but don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I truly believe in helping folks out. That will never change.

Yah, that goes with your fear of making a turd. You are a rarity these days.

Quality has all been off-shored to India and China, where it has gone to zip.

MastarMindhed Saw! Cheap cut squeezed, quality pooped, run like geese lightened, super run, hi qualities, best spray-on Nikasil availables, hand ported and polishing, super cheaping! Return breakage guaranteed! Return saw if no like, get new refurbished replacements free, just pays ship and handel. Best qualitee! Top gurantee. Premium best saw builders in Asia. Sthil, Huskvarnah specialties. No saw run butter! Hurry now, offer never ending soonest. Direct import, no one have to know detail. Western Union payments best only.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back