McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Mark, are you back on US soil?

No, but thanks for asking.

I will spend the weekend in Prague (Czech Republic) then the rest of the week in a customer plant in the city of Lovosice.

The plan is to return to Prague Friday afternoon, fly to Amsterdam, then return to USA on Saturday, 25 June.

In the mean while, here is some more McCulloch saws in action just to keep this thread on track.

187562d1308383324-dsc_0005%25202-jpg

187563d1308383326-dscn3767-jpg

187564d1308383328-dscn1032-jpg

187565d1308383329-img_3032-jpg

187566d1308383331-dscn3018-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
If I have to, I'll find a machining shop to make a small run of drums that can take the Oregon/Stihl spline type rims.

Clutch drums for the big McCulloch's with the spline adapter are out there. cheapchainsawparts has them quite often, and I was able to get a couple of new ones through Li'l Red Barn last year. Keep looking and you will find they are not so rare, but be patient. Someone in CA was offering NOS McCulloch units for over $30 each, I think the aftermarket ones from Li'l Red Barn were less than $20 each.

Mark

Ahh the craigslist saw from Springfield Or. Bob did the buy, and Mark couldn't get out to the GTG to receive it. The fog finally lifted.

why everyone needs a 250!

here's a clip of one i just used on thursday.
YouTube - ‪Mcculloch 250.wmv‬‏

Waay to hot to be cutting! the old girl did the job. I just had problems with chips getting clogged in the bar groove since it was a new chain and still stretching. Now to find someone in Illinois with a Yarder LOL! Side note -I've rebuilt this 250 and a homelite c-52 both with tillotsons. when i start out adjusting it i can get them to start and idle just fine but when it goes to wide open throttle it raps out then dies like it's running out of fuel. any ideas on where to set the metering levers and needles to prevent this. this 250 i think i had the low screw out far enough to get her to run okay. but it seems no mater how many turns out the high needle is it doesn't help which is where my fuel should be coming out of. I used RK88-HL kits using the new needles and seats with new levers which are different than the old ones. Any tricks? Thanks

here's a clip of one i just used on thursday.
YouTube - ‪Mcculloch 250.wmv‬‏

Waay to hot to be cutting! the old girl did the job. I just had problems with chips getting clogged in the bar groove since it was a new chain and still stretching. Now to find someone in Illinois with a Yarder LOL! Side note -I've rebuilt this 250 and a homelite c-52 both with tillotsons. when i start out adjusting it i can get them to start and idle just fine but when it goes to wide open throttle it raps out then dies like it's running out of fuel. any ideas on where to set the metering levers and needles to prevent this. this 250 i think i had the low screw out far enough to get her to run okay. but it seems no mater how many turns out the high needle is it doesn't help which is where my fuel should be coming out of. I used RK88-HL kits using the new needles and seats with new levers which are different than the old ones. Any tricks? Thanks

Assuming the fuel line isn't cracked, the filters (tank and carby) aren't plugged, and the high speed passages in the carb aren't plugged, try playing with the height of the lever a bit. Raise it a bit to increase the fuel in the chamber. Too much and the needle will never close and fuel tank will drain thru the carb into the motor.

I just went thru all this on my Pioneer 700. It uses an OMC make carb but I had an 090 Tilly carb on it for awhile. The saw ran perfect. When I finally got parts for the OMC and installed it, I had to remove it and fool with the lever a half-dozen times to get it right. Carbs generally aren't than finicky.

Chris B.

Mostly cloudy and rain off and on all day today. I will try to get out and get a few photo's of the city tomorrow if the weather permits. Prague is indeed a beautiful city, untouched by WWII and the old buildings and statues are quite impressive.

As for the women, there are some real Czech beauties (my mother was full blooded Czech you know) but I'm not sure how they would respond to my request for photo's...

Now, more McCulloch in action shots.

187601d1308422422-dscn2077-jpg

187602d1308422423-dscn2090-jpg

187603d1308422424-dscn2143-jpg

187604d1308422426-dscn2152-jpg

187605d1308422429-grandpas-helper-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark, very nice action photo's, and some very clean looking Mac's. Hey I'm not trying to get you in any kind of trouble, with the local athorities or anything. I'm just a fan of old school architecture, buildings, and such.
In fact, a local group is rebuilding a landmark gas/filling station near my town. It was built near the turn of the century, fell into disrepair in the 80's-90's and now is being rebuilt. They are constructing a new addition, timber frame style with absolutely huge timbers and peeled logs. I happened by last week, but without my camera. I will get up there this weekend and post the pics. Im sure you guys will be impressed with the scale of the timbers in this structure.

Nice looking 250! Very clean w/BIG DAWGS!

But no PPE? RandyMac set a bad example ...... :msp_thumbdn:

Hmmmm....that ain't nothin'.
The current topic of the book has to do
with "Elastic Boundaries", makes the last
chapter "Confessions of a Sport Faller"
seem tame. There are worse things than,
not using a hardhat.

Picture014-1.jpg

Just knew someone would say it!

Nice looking 250! Very clean w/BIG DAWGS!

But no PPE? RandyMac set a bad example ...... :msp_thumbdn:

I do have safety glasses on, but nothing else, dont use chaps but maybe someday, gloves would have been too sweaty and maybe I'll get that fancy husqvarna hardhat combo I mentioned to the wife for father's day! Not a pro faller by any means-i left out the other 8 minutes of that vid showing my lack of skill in getting my wedge cut. but i do have a bit of experience in knowing how something heavy might fall and squish someone, so I take my time and get it right(mostly). since 98% of my saws don't have chainbrakes or throttle safetys i have learned how to cut without relying on them. i've gone through the saw and she's clean, fuel lines looked good but i should double check, i know the filters clean and the carb was cleaned out good with a new kit. I didnt know if the updated carb kits with newer style needle/seat/levers should be adjusted differently. And i also like the west coast dawgs-even if it's the midwest!

I do have safety glasses on, but nothing else, dont use chaps but maybe someday, gloves would have been too sweaty and maybe I'll get that fancy husqvarna hardhat combo I mentioned to the wife for father's day! Not a pro faller by any means-===
the hardhat combo w/faceshied and chaps are <$100. hard to find insurance that cheap.

Hmmmm....that ain't nothin'.
The current topic of the book has to do
with "Elastic Boundaries", makes the last
chapter "Confessions of a Sport Faller"
seem tame. There are worse things than,
not using a hardhat.

Picture014-1.jpg

Yeah, like smoking. When you figure out that you don't have to quit, then you can quit.

Latest posts

Back