McCulloch S550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the only time you notice odd behavior like this?

Does the tone change when you tilt the saw around?

Did you clean the carb and/or kit it?

Have not had any time but a few minutes here and there to tinker. It is only the second time running it, and have not done a thing to it other than getting the grime off. It does it every time after it rev it, but comes back down to a nice burbly idle after a few seconds. I did not tilt it around any, just had it sitting on an old stump. I did check the throttle, it was not hanging and the shaft did not move after I let off of the trigger. I will give it a try today if possible. Is there an adjustment for the oiler also as it wet the grass within a few feet while running?

Have not had any time but a few minutes here and there to tinker. It is only the second time running it, and have not done a thing to it other than getting the grime off. It does it every time after it rev it, but comes back down to a nice burbly idle after a few seconds. I did not tilt it around any, just had it sitting on an old stump. I did check the throttle, it was not hanging and the shaft did not move after I let off of the trigger. I will give it a try today if possible. Is there an adjustment for the oiler also as it wet the grass within a few feet while running?

Sure would hate risking a nice relic like that on an air leak.

Pretty sure the oiler is non-adjustable, nothing I have here shows that it is. Maybe an expert will be along shortly.

The oiler is adjustable in the same manner as the 10-series saws. There's a piston travel (pump output) adjustment screw with a locknut on the pump. It's a pain in the butt to adjust however, as the pump is inside the fuel tank. If you can adjust the pump without removing the fuel tank cover (and therefore destroying the gasket, requiring a replacement), then you're one heck of a mechanic.

The 'slow to return to idle' behavior does point to an air leak. Could be as simple as a carburetor or carb spacer gasket leak. Could also be a crank seal however, as they're 40 year old rubber parts. Could also be one of the gaskets between the handle/carb box casting and the engine block, or between the fuel tank, stuffer, and crankcase.

The oiler is adjustable in the same manner as the 10-series saws. There's a piston travel (pump output) adjustment screw with a locknut on the pump. It's a pain in the butt to adjust however, as the pump is inside the fuel tank. If you can adjust the pump without removing the fuel tank cover (and therefore destroying the gasket, requiring a replacement), then you're one heck of a mechanic.

The 'slow to return to idle' behavior does point to an air leak. Could be as simple as a carburetor or carb spacer gasket leak. Could also be a crank seal however, as they're 40 year old rubber parts. Could also be one of the gaskets between the handle/carb box casting and the engine block, or between the fuel tank, stuffer, and crankcase.

Thanks! I thought it acted like an air leak. I do not think I will dig into it as I will probably pass it along to a another collector.

pm me as well, I have interest also. It looks real good.

the idle issue is not serious in my opinion, the governed engine will also make it behave this way to a certain point. Thanks Roger

pm me also please, I have interest in purchasing also. Thanks Roger

I think the idle problem may just be the governor being sticky.

pm me also please, I have interest in purchasing also. Thanks Roger

I think the idle problem may just be the governor being sticky.

That's not how the governor on that saw works (there aren't parts to 'stick'). The governor consists of a throttle plate that's mounted off-center on the throttle shaft (so that air flow tends to pull the throttle closed) and a small spring that holds the throttle partially open. There are several notches on the throttle arm for one end of that spring. They're present to allow you to fine tune how much opening pressure the spring exerts on the throttle shaft.

What you are aiming for is a balance between opening pressure (from the spring) and closing pressure (from airflow against the throttle plate) at idle speed. When set right, it slowly bounces up and down slightly at idle. Now it is possible that the idle spring isn't set right, and that might be making it slow to settle down to idle.

I found a 550 and a 4-30 in my father in-laws barn . The 550 runs as long as you squirt fuel directly in the carb but as soon as it starts pulling fuel it leaks. The 4-30 will run on its own. Was wondering what these would go for to sell, we have a few other projects we wanna use the money from the saws for. Any help would be appreciated.

Steven, it's bad form to post your own issues in someone else's thread.

:nofunny:

You'd be better served by starting your own thread or going to the Mac thread in the Stickies section.

Back