Minus -12f come on man!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys can keep those temps right where they are! We're finally staying above freezing here in P.A. (at least during the daytime) and I'm happy about that. Most of our snow has melted and I can finally get back to busting rounds up and stacking my woodpile.

seems like we had an unusual (for this year) warm snap. now we are back to normal. frozen ground this morning. now I can drive a machine to move some wood again... if the ground thaws, it stayes parked.

It's fgn cold here too. We've had enough!!!! People are breaking the bank to heat this year. I still have enough wood to pull me thru, barely. Cut a little extra this year past. Farmer's Almanac said to.
Normally we're half way thru sugaring season by now. Not this year. It has yet to begin.

Had a dusting last night, they're calling for 1"-3" of snow Monday night. I picked up my maple syrup from the amish family that I get it from, and they said that they've never cooked sap past April 1. They will this year!! They just started tapping the trees about a week ago. The ground is still frozen beneath the surface - it's a sloppy mess here. I'll be glad that it's going to refreeze, I can get to a few trees that need to be moved out of the woods without making ruts in the soil.

This is why I sleep in *well, besides working nights*. Thermometer had a low of -5 here overnight, but the sun's shining, there's very little wind, and it's up to 8 above already.

The tractor's plugged in, I'm having breakfast, then it's time to break a trail to the woods. Hope the drifts in the lane going up the hill are dwindled enough to blast through without digging. If not, I'm turning around.

I got about 2 inches last night and it's still coming down up on this hill. Everything is frozen again. I have about 2 weeks left of wood so I'll be going after a couple dead ash trees next weekend. We've got to be close to warmer weather my friends. Hang in there! I've been wanting to go get my meat chicks for the year but I don't want to run a heat lamp 24/7. I'll wait a little longer until this cold breaks.

Two years ago we were in the 70's this time of year and even earlier. Everything budded out including our apple trees. Then we get a cold snap, guess what, no apples that year. I hate the length of this winter too, but it is what it is. I'm down to my last face cord, might have to dip into next winters supply if necessary. As they say, prepare for the worst-hope for the best.

At least we didn't have it this bad. But the snow in my yard is still almost knee deep.

"Record low temperature was set at International Falls MN...
a record daily low temperature was set at International Falls MN
this morning 3/23/2014 -26f at 06:52am CDT. This breaks the old record of -25f
set in 1974."

Ive got bout 5 days worth of good seasoned wood left with a snow storm coming tues just grand! Started cuttin up pallets to me through day time and use logs for overnight hopin april warms us up!! Already got my first cord cut split and stacked for next year today!

Supposed to make it down to 10 tonight, then 3 more nights in the teens with some snow on Tues. Not exactly typical for the last week of March, but it sure follows the program for this year, eh? Looking nice after that, so maybe after this week we'll finally have turned the corner. :)

26 right now and have had the stove going all day. This is the time of year where we should be past round the clock burning and only really need evening fires to take the chill out. Keep 'em lit boys!

I have brought in the rest of the years wood for the last 3 weekends. It's getting depressing thinking that the amount of wood brought in should last till heating is over and then have it be gone in a week. over and over and over again.

Latest posts

Back