Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll offer these mods for $50 + shipping. If interested, I can also supply the saw. A new modded saw would run you $625 + shipping. This wasn't the goal or point of this thread, but I hate to see a saw run at less than it's potential. I'm selling this first one for actual cost, $575 + shipping.

PM me your address again when you get the chance, Brad. I'll have mine in the mail early next week. I assume you won't need the B & C, just the powerhead?

I knew you could 'fix' the 201T Brad, good work :msp_thumbup:

Regarding the muffler mod, can the muffler be opened up while still using some sort of spark arrestor?
I'm sure you could fab something up. Just make a piece of metal that fits in there with the same size hole. Screw it down with a piece of screen sandwiched in between.

PM me your address again when you get the chance, Brad. I'll have mine in the mail early next week. I assume you won't need the B & C, just the powerhead?

I'll offer these mods for $50 + shipping. If interested, I can also supply the saw. A new modded saw would run you $625 + shipping. This wasn't the goal or point of this thread, but I hate to see a saw run at less than it's potential. I'm selling this first one for actual cost, $575 + shipping.

How about for a 201 rear handle? No extra metal in the crankcase please :)

-Greg

awesome, that's how they should run, that thing responded to a simple hole bunged in the muffler, snappy as, for a work saw I wouldn't advance the timing, on a 200 anyway, they're hot-rodded enough stock, howling engines on small saws can get tiresome, although the advanced 201 still seemed civilized enough. The untouched 201 in the first vid was so sluggish and spongy you'd almost think it was an Echo, no wonder people were unimpressed

awesome, that's how they should run, that thing responded to a simple hole bunged in the muffler, snappy as, for a work saw I wouldn't advance the timing, on a 200 anyway, they're hot-rodded enough stock, howling engines on small saws can get tiresome, although the advanced 201 still seemed civilized enough. The untouched 201 in the first vid was so sluggish and spongy you'd almost think it was an Echo, no wonder people were unimpressed

Did you just go on record stating a brand new top of the line Stihl behaves like an Echo?

Great post Brad,

What was the size of the stock muffler opening vs your modded opening??

Did you measure the port area at the cylinder? Curious if you are close to the 85% port area opening or beyond that.

Thanks again for the post.

Wait a minute it aint even broke in yet so how do you know what the potential cutting time will be?

Since I did all thise yesterday, another member made timed cuts with his 200T. He then advanced the timing, a little less than I did on the 201, and it actually slowed the saw down a little. Not every saw responds the same.

The legend of the 200t lives on....
Yes it does. With a little modding, the 201 is both faster and stronger than it's predecessor.

Great post Brad,

What was the size of the stock muffler opening vs your modded opening??

Did you measure the port area at the cylinder? Curious if you are close to the 85% port area opening or beyond that.

Thanks again for the post.
I don't get hung up on port area and all that any more. I do what I think looks right and run with it. Works for me.

Wait a minute it aint even broke in yet so how do you know what the potential cutting time will be?
It can only get better from here:clap: It doesn't even have 2 tanks of fuel through it yet.

A couple things I haven't mentioned here.

The 201T is limited to 13,350. I never actually saw that will revving the saw, but that's what the tach recorded as max RPM. I only saw 13,200 or 13,200. It's tuned well past the limiter, so tuning in the wood is required. I tune it rich, and then slowly lean it out, cut after cut, until I'm comfortable where it is.

The 201 is torquier, or has a wider powerband, than the 200. The 200 doesn't like to be pushed on as much as the 201. The fastest cut times with the 201 were always with a heavy load. I'd love to put one of these in a full time arborists hands and get there feedback. Matter of fact, I'd like to do so with one of those that previously said they were crap.

And to the person that said their mechanic modded the muffler, retuned the carb, and that it made no improvement and throttle response was 1-2 seconds..............I say bah humbug:) You need a new mechanic, lol. Even in stock for, it's not that bad. It's really a shame they don't run closer to this from the factory. They've left so much easy meat on the bone that it's not funny.

As Brad mentioned, I advanced the timing on my 200t 6 degrees and it actually slowed the saw down 5%. There is some margin of error, but it definitely did NOT make the saw cut faster. Here are the videos. I would love it if someone else tried this test to confirm or disconfirm my results. It's not hard to do and you can reverse it afterwards (which i did).

[video=youtube;BaD5v2M6kl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaD5v2M6kl4&feature=feedu[/video]

[video=youtube;VmBzDSaj4Jo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmBzDSaj4Jo&feature=feedu[/video]

As Brad mentioned, I advanced the timing on my 200t 6 degrees and it actually slowed the saw down 5%. There is some margin of error, but it definitely did NOT make the saw cut faster. Here are the videos. I would love it if someone else tried this test to confirm or disconfirm my results. It's not hard to do and you can reverse it afterwards (which i did).

Nice work:clap:

Mmmm. We'll be eating good tonight:)

IMG8121-M.jpg

IMG8120-M.jpg

This is the best venison I've ever eaten. We're all trying to imagine a gamey flavor to it, and it's simply not there. This was a farm grown deer though.

Last night was fantastic. I'm as guilty as anyone else with getting busy and not spending time with the family. Last night was very cool. Everyone wanted in on the action. My nephew and his cousin, the ones that shot it, were whittling away on the carcass. My 12 year old daughter was skinning the legs, lol. My 8 year old niece wanted to take every piece of meat as we cut it off. It was really neat the way it brought everyone together. Now we're all up in the kitchen like a bunch of scavengers around the meat plate:)

Back