Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re.. Muffler mod

Just curious, I did not know what size holes or what kind of back pulse the exhaust needed. I dont want to lose the torque. It would be simple to start the hole with a centering drill and finish with a unibit. I guess that an end mill on a 45 or 60 degree angle would work too. Any ideas on what size hole or holes to drill? How many webs do you have to go through?

Thanks,
Bill

Torque get it going,
H.P keeps it there

Hey Mikey... He likes it!

Just 'tuned up' a customer's saw. I hope he likes it now. :D

Just got the report from 'previously dissatisfied' 201 owner. By his non-techy account, it's a completely different saw. Throttle response is off the charts, compared with before. Hot starting is no longer an issue. I sensed what I hope is a tinge of regret at his pre-ordering two T540s.

201t muffler mod

I'm gonna mod my 201 , but after I drill the muffler, how do I tune he carb? Do I match the rims to the factory specs? I'm use to big motors n reading the plug. I kno I have to take the stop out of the collar that stops the h jet from turning to I can adjust that, but I just need to know how to set it to compensate for the hole. Thanks for the help

Both my 201s are muff modded and advanced timing. After you remove the limiter you need to tune it by ear in wood. Start off really fat so its four stroking in the cut. Then slowly start leaning it out until it clears up while cutting. You dont need to tune while cutting. Just make a cut, tune, make a cut, tune. Until she sounds really good in the cut. Im about to take things a bit further on one of my 201s! Id like to gut the strato completely if possible? Has anyone tried this? I really dont mind if it turns out badly, well I do kinda..lol..but I have a ton of hours on one And dont mind it being my test bunny..haha..I know mastermind built one with a cut squish band and like the 200 im sure there's little to no room for widening ports. So im thinking remove the strato features? Any imputs? Its just a thought....

Ms201t muffler mod

As far as tuning my 201 after the muffler mod, I read that the ignition goes into protect mode after full throttle and needs to reset for 20 sec, is this true? And f so should I wait longer while tuning? Thanks sorry guys I'm new to modding don't mind me

You guys..

..are probably gonna mock me or wanna ban me.. he he.. :/ - as an experiment, I ran one of my rebuilt 200T's with a 18" LP B&C for limbing small branches but for a long period of time, and to tell you the truth....... if this one handled it like it was a 16" only with simple MM and limiters off of the carb', I wonder how a similarly modded +timing advanced MS-201 would be for this job!!!!!!!
WOW!!

Now,

please don't kill me

lol.. (?)

Jo.

Last edited:
MS201 module witchery

As far as tuning my 201 after the muffler mod, I read that the ignition goes into protect mode after full throttle and needs to reset for 20 sec, is this true? And f so should I wait longer while tuning? Thanks sorry guys I'm new to modding don't mind me

When setting the low side, I was warned to idle the thing for fifteen to twenty seconds after every blast on the throttle, before adjusting. It's a state of advance, to ensure smooth idle-return (and an incredible pain in the ass).

This is what Manuel has to say about it:

View attachment 278767

Just got my 201 back from brad, what an improvement! Its like a whole new saw , theres midrange responce now and it has balls which is nice, may have changed my mind on the 201.

Just got my 201 back from brad, what an improvement! Its like a whole new saw , theres midrange responce now and it has balls which is nice, may have changed my mind on the 201.

Good! I don't think the engineers in Germany took any delight whatsoever in crippling their new 201. Emissions standards are emission standards, and they had to take steps to make the pricks burn clean. Most notable is the lack of accelerator pump, and that black-magic programming in the module. I find the accelerator pump change most perplexing, considering how over-rich the Low needles are coming out of the test-cell. Germany also didn't communicate very well with USA/Canada in the beginning, further exacerbating the problem.

Reliably 'stratifying' a powerhead as compact as a 200/201 is no easy task, and with the modifications pioneered by Brad, it is indeed a solid product.

Is there an accelerator pump in the 200? And if so can the carbs be swapped? Jw it really sucks that emissions trickled down to chainsaws.....
Wonder if the 4 stroke in the ht 101
And 131 will ever get into a power head???? That would be sweet.

Is there an accelerator pump in the 200? And if so can the carbs be swapped? Jw it really sucks that emissions trickled down to chainsaws.....
Wonder if the 4 stroke in the ht 101
And 131 will ever get into a power head???? That would be sweet.

The 200 has an accelerator pump. Even if the linkages and stuff hooked-up, the 201's split-duct strat system makes carb-swapping a moot point.

Chainsaws and cut-off saws haven't gone four-stroke for a reason, and EFI saws are now a reality. At this point it is simply easier to clean up the emissions of the two-stroke principle than it is to make a four-stroke engine do what is required for this equipment.

contact info for Brad Snelling

I do a bit of arborist tree work around home and for friends. I'm currently in need of a new top handle, and I'd like to get one of Brad's modified MS201Ts from him. Can someone give me contact information?

I do a bit of arborist tree work around home and for friends. I'm currently in need of a new top handle, and I'd like to get one of Brad's modified MS201Ts from him. Can someone give me contact information?

Just private message (PM) him on this site.

ms201 mods

read your thread and watched the vids over and over again. Very impressive!! I understand all you did and the end results, but how did you advance the timing and how far?

I'm thinking a snellerized 201T will be an improvement over my current climbing saw......a 192TC......Only trouble is...SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) made me agree to sell the 192TC when I got the new saw.......can't wait for the change!!

I'm thinking a snellerized 201T will be an improvement over my current climbing saw......a 192TC......Only trouble is...SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) made me agree to sell the 192TC when I got the new saw.......can't wait for the change!!

ummm...yeah...... the change is from 192TC>201T.....Not changing spouses......

ummm...yeah...... the change is from 192TC>201T.....Not changing spouses......

Save yourself $250 and get an Echo 355T. I have a 201 Brad did and its a great saw and i have a 355T and i really like using the Echo, but i don't think the little extra power of the 201 is worth $250 more but thats just MO.

I plan on sending my 201 in to brad after I break it in a little but in the mean time what's the recommended tune on it stock? I follow protocol and wait the 20 secs for adjustments but when I leaned the l screw it seemed to make throttle response worse. I opened it up a bit like the manual says and it got a little bit better but then sometime later I had a hard time just getting it to start. I ended up resetting all settings, then about a full turn rich and adjusted the idle. I set it down I'm too frustrated.

Latest posts

Back