MONSTER TREE's removal photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeinnovator

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
last week the winning bid was $3,700. bids were as high as $12,000. my bid was $7,500. some tree companies showed up and simply walked and passed on the job.

so here's some photos of the removal. i'll try and update this with more photos if i get the chance to pass by the jobsite again.

all in all, now that the top branches have been removed, it looks like a crane was not needed. it looks like you can just chop it up and pull it off the side of the house with a truck or something.

see post below for the pics...

Last edited:
why did they stop there? keep cutting it off the house

Right

Treeinvator , man i swear there is something wrong about your job... I dont know you but my gut feeling is you are up to no good . I feel like you are the kind of guy who genearlly screws everything up for most long term tree men. I dont have any evidence of this besides you talking about hiring wal mart help or something like that,but its just how you write and how you portray the job.
Something smells funky , sorry if im wrong. Dark

spoke to the homeowner today. she said they have been working on it for 4 days now and the tree guy admitted to her that he didn't realize the trunk was as big as it is. LOLOLOLOL ...i guess he's wishing he bid higher right about now. she felt kinda bad and let him do crown reductions on 3 other trees in the yard for an additional $1,200...which is high. i thnk he's trying to recoup some of his money.

so 4 days later, the trunk is still leaning on the house.

Treeinnovator said:
spoke to the homeowner today. she said they have been working on it for 4 days now and the tree guy admitted to her that he didn't realize the trunk was as big as it is. LOLOLOLOL ...i guess he's wishing he bid higher right about now. she felt kinda bad and let him do crown reductions on 3 other trees in the yard for an additional $1,200...which is high. i thnk he's trying to recoup some of his money.

Ok treeinvator .Im just trying to get this picture rt.. the one part that im not getting is why are you LOLOLOLO at this guys underbidding and his obvious misfortune . Why didnt you just walk when you knew the customer was after the lowest bidder . The stump removal alone looks to be worth over 2000 at min..
Most [pro] tree men i have ever knew generally will walk from any situation that even looks like a low bidder war. I understand your need to make a $ .

Were you just tryin to sub it out? and make some chi ching?????????

darkstar said:
Ok treeinvator .Im just trying to get this picture rt.. the one part that im not getting is why are you LOLOLOLO at this guys underbidding and his obvious misfortune . Why didnt you just walk when you knew the customer was after the lowest bidder . The stump removal alone looks to be worth over 2000 at min..
Most [pro] tree men i have ever knew generally will walk from any situation that even looks like a low bidder war. I understand your need to make a $ .

Were you just tryin to sub it out? and make some chi ching?????????

i bid $7500 knowing i could sub it out.

it's funny because (a) we've all been there done that...underbid and realized halfway into it (b) and because he probably isn't qualified to do the job correctly, which is why many tree guys passed or bid higher knowing what was needed for the job to get done correctly. this hack bit off more than he could chew.

darkstar said:
:yoyo: OK hope you had fun.

at this point, i'm interested in seeing how this is finished. alot of weight is still on the roof. can the hired contractor remove it creatively? some people didn't think a crane/excavator was needed...others did. we'll see if he can pull it off without heavy equipment.

John464 said:
why did they stop there? keep cutting it off the house

I was just wondering the very same thing. Even if there was a worry of it falling off into the side of the house its nothing a few sturdy braces couldn't handle, makes one wonder it does.

:chainsaw:

Treeinnovator said:

That's why on the other thread about this tree my bid was over $14K. I have done many large banyans and know you are in for more work than appears. I still am pretty sure I could have had it done with a large excavator and 4 guys in 2.5 days.

Ha ha, I love this thread, home-owner has already upped the anti and is primed with anxiety right now.

Has the tree company asked for some released funding perhaps? Hopefully the owners dont pay now or they'll bolt.

For the arbo's amongst us pic 7681 really tells the story of what's left, the ugly dirt filled basal area, the chain killer and latex flood ... hahaha :laugh:

I laugh, I spend too much time on my bids informing and educating clients ... and when they go for the low ball, and this happens, I love it, it's a form of Karma justice. :D

For the tree crew boss, bad call, he's now paying for an education is the way I see it. ;)

Wouldn't be much money in the kitty for machinery now hey guys?

Keep us posted, this is a good one.

$3700 is a joke, but now it's up to $4900 with the extras, will the customer have a bargain or not???

Ekka said:
Ha ha, I love this thread, home-owner has already upped the anti and is primed with anxiety right now.

Has the tree company asked for some released funding perhaps? Hopefully the owners dont pay now or they'll bolt.

For the arbo's amongst us pic 7681 really tells the story of what's left, the ugly dirt filled basal area, the chain killer and latex flood ... hahaha :laugh:

I laugh, I spend too much time on my bids informing and educating clients ... and when they go for the low ball, and this happens, I love it, it's a form of Karma justice. :D

For the tree crew boss, bad call, he's now paying for an education is the way I see it. ;)

Keep us posted, this is a good one.

$3700 is a joke, but now it's up to $4900 with the extras, will the customer have a bargain or not???

careful Ekka, Darkstar sympathizes with the low-ball hack companies. lol

i agree with your whole response. i drive by the jobsite and smile knowing this guy is going to burn through 20 brand new chains trying to saw through all that dirt inside the ficus root system. in Miami, FL we have a ton of illegal immigrant hack companies. i'm almost sure this is one of them. and i bet my stumpgrinder he dumped all that debris illegally in some vacant field or side of the road. i bet he underbids alot of other guys because he doesn't do things legally. these are the guys that make it tough for the rst of us to run a legit operation.

did he ask for anything up front?
the owner told me the other day that he did not get any deposit money. the owner is a full-time RE investor and not someone that is going to be screwed easily. she did realize he underbid and therefore will give him extra side jobs to help cushion the blow$.

i'll run down to the jobsite either today or tomorrow and take new photos. keep checking back.

Sprig said:
I was just wondering the very same thing. Even if there was a worry of it falling off into the side of the house its nothing a few sturdy braces couldn't handle, makes one wonder it does.

:chainsaw:

yep, a few sturdy braces and a few bags of mulch.:rock:

Ekka said:

This kills a lot of small businesses - not realizing that every job costs wear and tear that must eventually be paid for.

Why you blame "a ton of illegal immigrants hack companies"?
You said earlier that the tree guy is licensed and insured.....

Did you asked the owner for the name of the tree company doing the work?

Probably you were looking to sub the work and make a ton on money in the process. However, I agree with you about the guy stuck with such a job...

Just remember....there are dozen of "landscaping companies or lawn maintenance companies" that will do anything to get a job that will allow them to make $500 net profit...because is much better than cutting 12 patios at $40.00 ea. These guys are the ones that hire illegals at $80.00 a day, do not pay them insurance or anything else. If somebody gets hurt....well, that's their problem...or drop them at the ER....and...so long baby....you are on your own....I don't know you....At the end of the day the illegal is left with no money, no nothing and hurt (best escenario).....

Where in Miami are you located?

Regards,

Xino5544 said:
Why you blame "a ton of illegal immigrants hack companies"?
You said earlier that the tree guy is licensed and insured.....

Did you asked the owner for the name of the tree company doing the work?

Probably you were looking to sub the work and make a ton on money in the process. However, I agree with you about the guy stuck with such a job...

Just remember....there are dozen of "landscaping companies or lawn maintenance companies" that will do anything to get a job that will allow them to make $500 net profit...because is much better than cutting 12 patios at $40.00 ea. These guys are the ones that hire illegals at $80.00 a day, do not pay them insurance or anything else. If somebody gets hurt....well, that's their problem...or drop them at the ER....and...so long baby....you are on your own....I don't know you....At the end of the day the illegal is left with no money, no nothing and hurt (best escenario).....

Where in Miami are you located?

Regards,

hi Xino, i'm in Ft. Lauderdale, the tree is in Miami. where abouts are you?

i didn't get the name of the company. i'll ask them later for it. would be nice to have a low-ball sub out handy.

last illegal immigrant treee outfit i ran into was running through neighborhoods charging $7 for washionian palm trim/cleanings. that's absurd.

Treeinnovator said:
i agree with your whole response. i drive by the jobsite and smile knowing this guy is going to burn through 20 brand new chains trying to saw through all that dirt inside the ficus root system. in Miami, FL we have a ton of illegal immigrant hack companies. i'm almost sure this is one of them. and i bet my stumpgrinder he dumped all that debris illegally in some vacant field or side of the road. i bet he underbids alot of other guys because he doesn't do things legally. these are the guys that make it tough for the rst of us to run a legit operation.

did he ask for anything up front?
the owner told me the other day that he did not get any deposit money. the owner is a full-time RE investor and not someone that is going to be screwed easily. she did realize he underbid and therefore will give him extra side jobs to help cushion the blow$.

i'll run down to the jobsite either today or tomorrow and take new photos. keep checking back.

Shoot man, he could have just ben starting out, underbid and cocked up on the price ???? does happen.................Judge them on the final result rather than keep popping back taking the piss because you didn't gt the work..

comeuppance

I felt pity for the owner; by the looks of the house I was suprised they could come up with 3k out of pocket. But hearing its a RE investor removes any qualms I had about seeing this as an occasion to laugh out loud. I once thought this would be a good market for me, and cultivated some connections with some rehabbers and construction folks. I was mistaken. There is no profit motivation to spend money ensuring the health of something that will live for hundreds of years when your plan is to sell and be out in a month. Smash the root zone, head back latterals with a circular saw, change the grade around the trunk; the person financing the project will be long gone when these things take thier toll. Its a rare occasion when the RE investor gets bit for lowballing tree work.

I think the worker should stop, revise his estimate to include the cost of the necessary work and equipment, and bolt with what he has if they dont go for it.

Please send pictures of progress on the stump, you know that's going to be the best part.

Buzzlightyear said:
Shoot man, he could have just ben starting out, underbid and cocked up on the price ???? does happen.................Judge them on the final result rather than keep popping back taking the piss because you didn't gt the work..
why dont you reach out to the dude and see if you can help him out uh cause its nice to have freinds in this biz

Back