More About Plunge Cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen some videos here of guys wedging head leaners, any body got a clue why youd wedge a strong head leaner when falling it with the lean. Am I missing something.

now that is pointless.....when i say i wedge a borecut tree i mean i bore it...leave the strap...set wedges....cut strap...use wedges to lift the tree the opposite way of natural lean.....that is the only time i wedge them or...just use one wedge to kick the tree one certian way away from an obsticale...i've dropped trees that people said they wasnt even going to attempt...i put them on the ground without hitting a single thing.......some people say im crazy....if i am...oh well...but it works...

I aint no faller, but had you gone around to the other side, then bored in again, maybe there wouldn't be such a big barberchair?

I think you need to practice on small trees before cutting another punkin. :popcorn:

You're a funny guy John! That got a chuckle out of me and it was a real pita day today. Thanks.

Lol, I came armed with two more idiotic vids, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to down size them with Windows Movie Maker, all I succeeded in doing was slowing down my Hughes Internet to a bleedin' crawl.
Need some video help.
John

I aint no faller, but had you gone around to the other side, then bored in again, maybe there wouldn't be such a big barberchair?

I think you need to practice on small trees before cutting another punkin. :popcorn:

Ya, in the next vid I stepped it up a bit and did a humbolt + plunge, but can't seem to get the vid down sized.
The Village Idiot

Ya, in the next vid I stepped it up a bit and did a humbolt + plunge, but can't seem to get the vid down sized.
The Village Idiot

I REALLY want to see this vid john.....learn me somethin today...:jester: Seriously the last one was great stuff....lolololol:jester::hmm3grin2orange::laugh:

Game Of Logging...its a proper timber falling and bucking techniques training course...and its a competition while you learn.

You know as well as i do.....a whole different ball game....why would you even ask?...lol

Why would I even ask? Maybe because of what you said in one of your previous posts..that GOL "teaches proper timber falling and bucking techniques".

The implication, not yours but GOL's, is that everyone who doesn't use their methods is doing it improperly.

I wonder how we ever got all that OG wood on the ground without GOL to guide us? :)

Seen some videos here of guys wedging head leaners, any body got a clue why youd wedge a strong head leaner when falling it with the lean. Am I missing something.

Actually I can think of an application for that and have used it a few times. It involves leaning a skyline support tree into a set of guylines to bring it in line with a skyline. You need the wedge so the skyline won't bounce it back at you if it gets a whip in it.

Ok, you guys can go back to falling the big timber.

Why would I even ask? Maybe because of what you said in one of your previous posts..that GOL "teaches proper timber falling and bucking techniques".

The implication, not yours but GOL's, is that everyone who doesn't use their methods is doing it improperly.

I wonder how we ever got all that OG wood on the ground without GOL to guide us? :)

HEY...LISTEN....I NEVER said it was "THE ULTIMATE" technique.......yea it teaches techniques for the size of hardwood timber that it is taught in....but not ALLLLL timber!! RELAX!!!!...you get too bent out of shape too easily....i wasnt even talking about west coast OG timber or even SG....or west coast softwood at all for that matter. I humbolt about 80% of the softwood that I cut.....I humbolt when i can....conventional when i can't....i use it when nessesary.....:)

Easy guys!
The GOL techniques get most wound up and in a fighting mood! It's a stupid idea, stupid principle and just flat dangerous!

HEY...LISTEN....I NEVER said it was "THE ULTIMATE" technique.......yea it teaches techniques for the size of hardwood timber that it is taught in....but not ALLLLL timber!! RELAX!!!!...you get too bent out of shape too easily....i wasnt even talking about west coast OG timber or even SG....or west coast softwood at all for that matter. I humbolt about 80% of the softwood that I cut.....I humbolt when i can....conventional when i can't....i use it when nessesary.....:)

Okay, take a deep breath, relax, and read my post again. I wasn't attacking you on any kind of personal level. I don't see any need for you to rant and rave. Just because you and I don't agree on something isn't any reason to get your blood pressure up.

My view of GOL remains unchanged. It's too structured and verges on being dogmatic in it's approach to technique in the woods. Most of the people out here consider it a joke. We also have a hard time taking seriously anybody who says that GOL is the only way to go. I understand that you're not doing that and that shows that you probably have more intelligence than you've exhibited here so far.

But...if you want to get all upset and yell about something, and if it makes you feel better, go right ahead. I'll give your viewpoint, based on your experience, the consideration it's worth.

Well I have some thoughts about this GOL discussion. Most of what I continually hear is about using the side boring backcut as the consistant method to use when falling trees. From my experience it has a place when needed eg: Head leaners, trees with weakened tops that may not hold together with the start and stop motion of a conventional backcut. My request is to the GOLers out there could you guys provide some videos that show some the other techniques that GOL has shown you that makes the job of timber falling any safer or more efficient then what we already use. I am all for seeing some new techniques beside just boring or plunging cuts.

Actually I can think of an application for that and have used it a few times. It involves leaning a skyline support tree into a set of guylines to bring it in line with a skyline. You need the wedge so the skyline won't bounce it back at you if it gets a whip in it.

Ok, you guys can go back to falling the big timber.

Yet another thing I won't understand unless I see it. And probably won't.
Oh well.

I have seen the old "tree fallen by mistake onto the skyline" but no wedges were used, the rigging saw always has a bent bar, and even the guy who lectured to always lower the skyline when a tree is being felled near it, didn't do so. Nothing broke. Just bruises from diving behind a big stump.

Oooops, my bad, back to games.

Latest posts

Back