ms 362 w/25" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrizz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 362 with a 20" bar and i have a white ash that fell in our last storm. The base of the tree is around 32 inches in diamiter and about 10 feet tall maybe more and the 362 is the largest one i have, so my question is if i get a 25" bar for my saw for this tree, am i going to put alot of stress on the saw? This is the biggest diamiter tree that i would be cutting up on my property. I also thought that this was a perfect excuse to buy another bigger saw just to have . Thanks.:greenchainsaw:

I would just use your 20" bar and cut from both sides. That 362 will certainly do the job on occasional 32" tree. If it's a CAD thing, then that's a different story.

Agree.

I have run a 25" bar on my 361 without any problems just to see how it would do.
Sure it's not fast, but it will handle the job. I don't push too hard with that length in hard wood as the oiler isn't that big to keep up.
OR just work both sides of the log, easier on the saw and saves $.

If it's not a cad thing, most people could do allot more work with their saws and longer bars, but the excuse to buy another saw seems to always prevail. Not a bad thing IMO!

I dont need to cut fast so i thought about using the 20" and having a 25" for the ( what if ). thanks.

I have both a 20" and 25" bar for my new 361. I have used the 25" bar a few times and it seemed to do OK for my meager firewood cutting. I'm running 3/8" RSC chain. I keep the oiler turned up to max with both bars.

MS 362 will cut a 25" bar fine. I used a 25" on my MS 361 this weekend to stump out two huge Oaks that grew together and It cut A LOT faster that I thought it would on that big Ol' Stump....Plus a 25" is just good to have around if you need it. If I can figure out how to make the pictures show I'm fixing to post them under "Siamese Twin Oaks Had To Go" in just a few.

The new 362's around here come with 28" on the wrap handle and 25" with the half wrap. I'm sure it'd be just fine. I run a 25" on my 361 wrap sometimes and it pulls like a champ as long as I don't lean on it too much.

All that being said, a 20" bar can easily take down a 32" tree.

i have a 362 that has a 25" bar on it all the time,no problems, ever. i run a 7pin driver and full skip chain. there are certainly faster combinations out there,but the 362 handles a 25" just fine.

I run a ms362 with a 25" bar, full comp chain, and an 8 tooth sprocket just fine. I mainly cut through smaller diameter wood as I use it for fuels reduction thinning in oregon. I did however, fell a 22" solid black pitch stob without a problem the other day. I turned the oiler almost all the way up. The gas and the bar oil levels deplete at about the same speed now.

Wow a 362 with an 8 tooth would be some serious chain speed unless its .325 not 3/8.. Would be a fun limbing saw :)

Thanks for everyones help on this and i am going to get a 25" bar and chain but not sure if i want a stihl bar or maybe a winsdor rollertip or arbormax, oregon bar ? I am going to do a search on here for opinions tonight .
What i will want is a rollertip bar with rsc chain and i will get the combo from one of our sponsers here.:cheers:

Thanks for everyones help on this and i am going to get a 25" bar and chain but not sure if i want a stihl bar or maybe a winsdor rollertip or arbormax, oregon bar ? I am going to do a search on here for opinions tonight .
What i will want is a rollertip bar with rsc chain and i will get the combo from one of our sponsers here.:cheers:

I vote for the Stihl ES bar. Unless you really want something really lightweight, they are some of the best bars out there. Just buy from a local dealer, or maybe find a deal on ebay.

I ran a 25" Stihl ES bar on my MM'd MS 361 today. After reading some of the posts on here I was a little nervous about it but the thing ran great. I didn't use it on anything big, mostly 20" red & white oak but it pulled right through no problem.

The balance also felt good, not too nose heavy or anything. I think I may hang up the 20" ES bar on the wall and run the 25" from now on.

Latest posts

Back