Muffler Pipes, Saw Mods, detensioning and single ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I've gotten better at porting I can get almost as much out of the Zenoah 5800 clones with the stock carb as the big 372 carb/intake. I was over porting at first, removing too much from the intake and lower transfers, the big carb covered that up still running good like that. I only buy better bars/chains for them now all the hops up cost is time/dremel bits.
I have one Zenoah 5800 clone with a 372 carb I ported 4-5 years ago and 1 I ported last year with the stock carb and they're pretty close power wise. The one with the 372 carb is better in small stuff as it piss revs to 15000rpm instead of 14000rpm but they both run 11000-12000rpm dogged in trying to cut as fast as possible.
It's kinda fun cutting wood beside a guy with a new very expensive 550xp and clearly out cutting him with a sub 200 dollar saw, that's even smaller and lighter.

Since I've gotten better at porting I can get almost as much out of the Zenoah 5800 clones with the stock carb as the big 372 carb/intake. I was over porting at first, removing too much from the intake and lower transfers, the big carb covered that up still running good like that. I only buy better bars/chains for them now all the hops up cost is time/dremel bits.
I have one Zenoah 5800 clone with a 372 carb I ported 4-5 years ago and 1 I ported last year with the stock carb and they're pretty close power wise. The one with the 372 carb is better in small stuff as it piss revs to 15000rpm instead of 14000rpm but they both run 11000-12000rpm dogged in trying to cut as fast as possible.
It's kinda fun cutting wood beside a guy with a new very expensive 550xp and clearly out cutting him with a sub 200 dollar saw, that's even smaller and lighter.

OK ... so "THIS" is why I am here asking questions ... wading through the armchair personalities ... to finally hear from someone who has put brains to work and made something "better". I am all ears. I would rather put the work into a small cheap saw that outperforms by 10-12cc (or %) and weighs 3+ pounds less. If it burns ... I can have 3 spares sharpened and ready and be happy I have depth of spare parts. (ALL for the same price of just one "foreign" saw of a non-Chinese origin) Thank you. I was just about to give up "fishing" in this pool and wade through the dreaded YouTube. Though they don't throw peanuts at you for seeking knowledge.

OK ... so "THIS" is why I am here asking questions ... wading through the armchair personalities ... to finally hear from someone who has put brains to work and made something "better". I am all ears. I would rather put the work into a small cheap saw that outperforms by 10-12cc (or %) and weighs 3+ pounds less. If it burns ... I can have 3 spares sharpened and ready and be happy I have depth of spare parts. (ALL for the same price of just one "foreign" saw of a non-Chinese origin) Thank you. I was just about to give up "fishing" in this pool and wade through the dreaded YouTube. Though they don't throw peanuts at you for seeking knowledge.
You can learn stuff from some of the guys on youtube but anyone can post a video so there's a lot of crap on there.
Ironhorse and timman pop up all the time in my feed. They both take way too much material out of the lower transfers and their saws are slow because of it. There's a happy medium on lowers, you only want to make them a hair bigger to increase flow they make them as big as possible because it looks better.
I only mess around porting saws that will gain power without machine work as I cant do it.
I have good luck with the 5800/6200 Zenoah clones, the good ones are 54.6cc. They have lots of compression stock and dont need much done to them.
The husky 272 kits on a 61 or 268 work good too without machine work.
The stihl 660 clone does not need machine work either, I made mine pretty strong by doing a tiny bit of grinding on the lowers and adding finger ports.

There's good reason I don't watch youtube for actual information. Too much misinformation being spread, combined with people who don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about, really just entertainment than anything else. I will say that I like Kevin's style of videos where the saw does the talking instead of someones mouth
How did you find there’s disinformation?:lol: By watching a different Youtube vid?:buttkick:

You don`t see them run a time on a stock can with a larger than stock outlet, the stock OEM mufflers are choked up but if they opened it up to a 3/4" or even a 1" outlet the saw would perform as well or better than the fancy shiny custom made ones do.Those crackpipe contrivances shown in the first post would only make more power because of the huge exhaust opening, nothing to do with the design as such.
Crackpipe Contributing Controversy
Don't tell DDave

rof 🤣
Bwaa
-----
How the hell is DD?
Hope to see him soon somewhere

Yep more likely to see my crack than my face in my vids. The saws have always sold themselves so I’m not changing anything now 👍

Thanks
The question is what would you change?

After doing far more single cylinder air cooled engines then most of us will ever 👀 what is the next step?

Edges, attention to details or margins under 0.060?.... Port wall straightness? Perhaps the taper of a port section?
Exit window chamfer angles and widths? Perhaps radiuses.

Pick a rabbit hole 😉

Back