My new 288XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purdy...

so... forgive my ignorance, but what makes a 'lite' different to a 'heavy' 288?

Someone out bid me.....:popcorn::popcorn:

Where did the other thread on this saw go???:confused:

Better get ready to clean the air filter ....Gets dirty really fast on the 288's ....

288 is Stihl one of my favorite Huskys ...:clap::clap:

+1 - that stupid air intake which picks up air and sawdust from the flywheel is to blame. It's better to block it off and cut out the slots in the top (if you have a lo-top) and bore some nice holes above the rear handle in the manner of the 380 and 480, which hardly ever needed their air filters cleaned.

+1 - that stupid air intake which picks up air and sawdust from the flywheel is to blame. It's better to block it off and cut out the slots in the top (if you have a lo-top) and bore some nice holes above the rear handle in the manner of the 380 and 480, which hardly ever needed their air filters cleaned.

Posted this before I saw the pics. In the case of this saw, better to leave it as bought, or buy a second-hand top cover and modify that. What a beauty!

I have an older 288, this saw is one of the most powerful low end saws ever made. We ran a 60" bar on our 288 for old growth redwood and it pulled it perfectly. Not the fastest in the top end but its got tons of low end kind of like a diesel.

I have an older 288, this saw is one of the most powerful low end saws ever made. We ran a 60" bar on our 288 for old growth redwood and it pulled it perfectly. Not the fastest in the top end but its got tons of low end kind of like a diesel.

Were you running 3/8 or .404 chain? Full-chisel or semi-chisel? Full-skip or semi-skip?

Just interested because I'd like a head-to-head contest between my 2101XP and my 288XP. The 288 revs higher, but produces a bit less power according to Bob Acre's site. I thought the 2101XP would pull a longer bar better, but now I'm wondering.:monkey:

Were you running 3/8 or .404 chain? Full-chisel or semi-chisel? Full-skip or semi-skip?

Just interested because I'd like a head-to-head contest between my 2101XP and my 288XP. The 288 revs higher, but produces a bit less power according to Bob Acre's site. I thought the 2101XP would pull a longer bar better, but now I'm wondering.:monkey:

With a 60" bar my bet is on the 2101.

I believe it was a 7 tooth sprocket .404, semi chisel, full skip. Also used .404 full skip Rapco carbide chain with the 60" bar and it ran great with both chains.

Back