My new husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those short was made for path in garden, i will take picture tomorow and post here if you wan't, i usualy cut around 30 cm

So do I, mostly - but some times I aim at 35 cm. The common commercial lengths here are 20 cm (about 8") and 30 cm (about 12").

Short firewood dry faster, and that is a relevant factor up here, with "green" wood.

Hello Ivan in Croatia. I am usually just asking questions here but finally I can provide some relevant input.

Last year I lucked into a husqv 359 and it has become one of my favorites. While it was almost brand new and strong from the start, everyone on this site is enthusiastic about the effects of opening up the muffler on this model in particular, so I had to give it a try.
It is a non-cat and the modification was quite easy. Adding a side exit was recommended so that's what I did.
PICT0177.JPG

After the modification I needed to open the high speed screw about 20-25 degrees, if I remember correctly. The bigger opening seems to have made a real difference in power. But with my muffler the saw is much much louder. I wonder if the megaphone shape of my deflector increases the perceived noise. Some writers here said no but one suggested that "shark gill" type slits can allow just as much flow without the sharpness of sound. Anyway I always like using the saw.

I hope you continue to enjoy your saw and that you enjoy the Arboristsite as much as I do.

Don

Hello Ivan in Croatia. I am usually just asking questions here but finally I can provide some relevant input.

Last year I lucked into a husqv 359 and it has become one of my favorites. While it was almost brand new and strong from the start, everyone on this site is enthusiastic about the effects of opening up the muffler on this model in particular, so I had to give it a try.
It is a non-cat and the modification was quite easy. Adding a side exit was recommended so that's what I did.
View attachment 368992

After the modification I needed to open the high speed screw about 20-25 degrees, if I remember correctly. The bigger opening seems to have made a real difference in power. But with my muffler the saw is much much louder. I wonder if the megaphone shape of my deflector increases the perceived noise. Some writers here said no but one suggested that "shark gill" type slits can allow just as much flow without the sharpness of sound. Anyway I always like using the saw.

I hope you continue to enjoy your saw and that you enjoy the Arboristsite as much as I do.

Don
Nice job on the muffler mod! Im curious... what did you use for the deflector?

Nice job on the muffler mod! Im curious... what did you use for the deflector?

Thanks for the compliment. I have since learned to make better photos with my funny old camera from the dawn of the digital age.

I made the deflector from scrap galvanized steel, possibly about 24 gage. My earlier attempts were folded up box-like deflectors but I was not happy with all the messy corners and edges. So I rolled a section of a cone from a triangular piece and bent out the flanges. Also, I do not weld light material very well, and I wanted to keep the option of making further changes, thus the sheet-metal screw arrangement. The flanges were slightly high of 90 degrees so they pulled down tight to the muffler body when I snugged the screws.

If I were doing it again I might aim the opening back toward the saw and then add a larger secondary deflector, like the old 268s, if there is room, primarily to see if it would reduced the sharp sound.

Some other deflector ideas were shown in my post from January 8 of this year, "Another Husqv 359 newbie with questions," when I asked about 359 deflector options for the welding impaired.

Will i gain any power if i only polish ports, remove any cast leftowers and do muffler mod, or i can lose with polishing ports?

My stock squish is 1,2 mm, if im right i can go to 0,6 mm?
My muffler is non catalisator and have 11 mm inner hole, how big can i put 22 mm?

Latest posts

Back