My new ms361!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use veg-oil formulated as bar-oil on all my newer saws, less is needed and more is put out....

:agree2:
except mine is a homebrew of regular bar oil and canola oil.
i am slowly transitioning to full canola.

the advantage is that it pumps faster, cleans up easier, and may be (i aint arguing anymore) better for you and the environment.

disadvantages include: slings off easier, may gum up the oil system if left sitting too long, and you have to listen to your friends complain that you are some kind of tree hugger.;)

to each his own.
:cheers:

^ I might have to look into that. Checked my chain again its actually pretty sharp still. They gave me an extra chain when I bought it so if it starts to dull think ill switch to the other then I can shapen the original up after im done.

Now that the saw is broken in it seems to take a few extra pulls to start is that normal? Should I try to adjust the carb or anything?

It could be running a bit lean, but it's probably fine. If it gets worse take it to your dealer an have them look at it, you should probably have it re tuned now that it's broken in anyway.

I thought about taking it down there and taching it. Might do that as soon as I get time.

Just went out and messed with it some more. Took 8 pulls I think it was to start cold 5 of them were on cold choke. When warm it only took 2 pulls. I also cant sharpen a chain worth #### not sure why but I suck at it.

I've had about 4 tanks through mine and it's getting easier to start.
Cold, 2 pulls full choke. Then 3-4 on half.
Warm, 1st pull every time.
I haven't had mine re-adjusted and when I asked about it at time of purchase, the dealer said "these new saws don't need to be re-adjusted"....

I've had about 4 tanks through mine and it's getting easier to start.
Cold, 2 pulls full choke. Then 3-4 on half.
Warm, 1st pull every time.
I haven't had mine re-adjusted and when I asked about it at time of purchase, the dealer said "these new saws don't need to be re-adjusted"....

Brand new mine would start 3 pulls total. I have about 6 or 7 tanks through it now.

It can also be hard to hear the 361 pop with a stock muffler, you could just be missing the first pop/stumble. It does however sound like the carb is out of tune, it should start in one pull when it's warm. I'd take it to the dealer and have them tune it.

It can also be hard to hear the 361 pop with a stock muffler, you could just be missing the first pop/stumble. It does however sound like the carb is out of tune, it should start in one pull when it's warm. I'd take it to the dealer and have them tune it.
Yeah, I've heard that its hard to hear the 1st pop, but mines not that way. Very easy to tell. But then again I don't use the decompression button. That may have something to do with it..

JJay, you use the decompession??...

I had the gas mixed about 3 weeks now or so HP ultra. That fine?

Should be fine!

You could try to open the L side just a tad (1/8 turn or so), to see if it helps.

Imo you should not pull more than 3-4 times on choke, before you try at fast idle - pop or not.
The slightest indication that something is happening should be counted as a "pop".

Warm, it should start in one "halv-pull" if everything is right.

I really appreciate all the info that is available here. I just bought a 361 also and it would not start a couple days ago. I took it to the dealer as this is my first Stihl and I am not used to running them yet. It was severely flooded and they soon got it firing again. I could not distinguish any "pop" when I tried to start it and it just flooded to death. Up until that point, I had not had much trouble with it. It sure seems like it is easy to flood it, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has had problems.

Overall, it is a great saw and a cutting machine. I guess that I just have to get used to its idiosyncracies.

Latest posts

Back