My new ms361!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJay03

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just picked it up today very nice saw I can see why they cost what they do.
MS360001.jpg

MS360003.jpg

MS360004.jpg

MS360005.jpg

MS360006.jpg

very good lookin saw, i might have to get one some day.

i found the reason i got my like new 359 for so cheap is cause everyone around here likes stihl so much and huskys are almost un heard of, so far i cant figure out whats wrong with everyone and not likeing husky, ,aybe its something in the water

I was going to get a husky but the dealer around here wanted a lot for them and I wanted an inboard clutch. My next saw might be a 372xp though. I like both im not prejudice my uncle has a husky its a nice saw.

^LoL if I bring anything in the house for a minute he has to be right there checking it out. I bet it would of been a different story if I started it up though.

Just picked it up today very nice saw I can see why they cost what they do.

I take it you don’t own any other chainsaws. The first day on the job, my 361 earned the nickname “Miss Daisy”. It truly is a saw even you grandmother will enjoy using. Forgive me, but I must ask; how does it idle and can you restart it without flooding it??

Idles fine only started it once. It flooded before I got it started tho but should be fine from now on. Im coming from using a homelite and an old remington also so this is a very nice saw for me. ^ I dont do this for a living im just a home owner with alot of trees that need cut up.

Last edited:
Idles fine only started it once. It flooded before I got it started tho but should be fine from now on. Im coming from using a homelite and an old remington also so this is a very nice saw for me. ^ I dont do this for a living im just a home owner with alot of trees that need cut up.

Congrats on a fine saw purchase! It will serve you well. :blob2:

Does it cook breakfast and clean the kitchen?;)

Domestic chores??? Mine licks me in places a nice saw would never lick. A real fine line between pleasure & pain... ;)

Great pix JJ! and welcome to the 361 jungle.

I think you add a pair of bars and some chain loops (25" and 16" to go with the 20") and you have the perfect "one saw plan" I use a 16" ES bar & RSC chain on mine mostly, a real handy size. Honestly never tried 25" on my 361 in hardwood. 20" was adequate for what I had to do, until stricken with CADS. All bets are off if this gets you too...

The three basic mods are:
#1 Lakerized™ style muffler and enrichen the mix - 13mm ID tube, Stihl fire stop & buckle (TS400 spark arrestor parts) & limiter cap removal tool. $15 + welding the tube on.
#2 chain catcher kit (dual felling spikes & roller chain catcher) about $35
#3 Magnum™ decal for the airbox lid. Priceless.

If you aren't already geared up, invest in some chaps, comfy safety glasses, and a face shield. A full kit of PPE is much cheaper than an emergency room visit. ;)

Your new baby will be broken in by the time you round up all that big wood. Especially if you rip the rounds in half or thirds to reduce them to splitter-lifting size! Remember to always use good (fresh) fuel & mix oil. High octane + Stihl HP Ultra synthetic @ 50:1 is hard to go wrong with.

Good mix, add bar oil every fill-up, look after the air filter & chain every few tanks... Just go have fun sawing on that mess.

Thanks for the tips I got the good synthetic 2cycle mix and the good bar oil.

BloodOnTheIce - What are you having done to yours?

I dont do this for a living im just a home owner with alot of trees that need cut up.

Well you got the right chainsaw for the home owner arm chair warrior. You fell for the Uber Stihl marketing hype aimed straight at you. Sell a homeowner saw at a high price so you trick them into believing that this is a PRO saw. The only way you will ever get that thing to function line a pro saw is to dump another $150 bills into it. Notice the permanent “sticky” near the top of this page concerning the ms361 and a muffler? Ask yourself why it is up there? If you are happy with its stock performance, you have got yourself the right chainsaw! You just paid way too much for it. Believe the lie!!

Back